It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: A favour if you may... to help me with my project

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Hello there,

As you know I am in the middle of my final university project, which is all about analysing algorithms and their relative energy usage when scaled up to many cores. This project is going well btw, I am currently awaiting hardware to do analysis with, and in the mean time I am doing some software emulation of the hardware. Which is where I need your help.

This process is rather CPU intensive and it is doubtful I can run every test myself, without either clustering up all the machines at uni (I'm not sure if I can do this) or submit a job for executing on the University's supercomputer and hope it executes. So as you know how I roll on these things, make my own F@H type project.

What I am asking for from those who are willing is to have a virtual machine that I will link you to running on your computer. It runs Ubuntu 11.10 along with the simulation tools I need to run this simulation on. It will probe my server for jobs that need running, download the file for simulation, simulate and then send the results back. What I am hoping for is that a couple of you at least have some spare CPU time that you can offer to help me get this simulation done :)

I am currently working on the downloading/uploading package and creating a virtual machine which I will put in my dropbox in OVA (open virtual appliance) for people to run and test.

If anyone has any questions/are willing, let me know :) And for those that help me, thanks

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: A favour if you may... to help me with my project

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

inb4 botnet

I'm up for trying this, just to see how it works!
11.10 you say? mmmm.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I could run it on the sly at work :)

Update: asked my boss if it would be OK for me to run this on a bunch of old machines as and when they come back in the office and it's been approved.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I could probably run it on a load of machines at my sixthform (they're dual cores at around 3ghz), if you can make it run without a window or an item in the task bar ;D

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

YOU HAVE MY SWORD.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Harry wrote:
I could probably run it on a load of machines at my sixthform (they're dual cores at around 3ghz), if you can make it run without a window or an item in the task bar ;D

You really think you can install virtual machines on those computers and hog a bunch of power without people noticing? Must be a really really bad IT department :P

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 pm 

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Skillers wrote:
You really think you can install virtual machines on those computers and hog a bunch of power without people noticing? Must be a really really bad IT department :P

They won't know it's me however :D
They wouldn't notice if the program didn't run in a window, they would just think it's going slow!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
Lord Metritutus wrote:
YOU HAVE MY SWORD.

Watch this video on Youtube.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I've still not found a use for my boxes so I'm willing to pitch in there

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 am 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
I'd offer my computer but it took an arrow to its CPU :(

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail