It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Video games increase sexual violence

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Says this psychologist on US TV whilst citing zero evidence! Rage and discuss. :P

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/28 ... ous-claim/

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Video games increase sexual violence

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Actually, this is originally an article on the Fox website, I think the psychologist they cite is a TV personality.

Here's the original article:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/ ... game-kids/

Here's some good analysis by RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02 ... ildren-no/

And they also got some information from one of the people quoted in the article:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02 ... e-quoting/

Also, just so people are aware, as a news organisation, Fox has about as much credibility as the Daily Mail. They are a fear mongering, Bible bashing, Republican propaganda machine. They have produced such wonders as Glen Beck and the Tea Party movement, and Bill O'Reilly, who is willfully ignorant of science and heavily bashes anything that doesn't fit into his narrow Catholicism based worldview.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:12 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I'll be honest. I'm immune to these articles now. I MEAN I WANT TO STAB DEM ALL!

Oops... did I say that out too loud...

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:20 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I find it helps to view Fox and their ilk as a parody now, and it becomes an excellent source of humour, Poe's law in action.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:33 pm 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
I think the reply from EA was quality. Basically said it was an M rated game (17+/18) and films of a similar age show off as much if not more than Bulletstorm does.

Was also a Kotaku article on this (That's where I saw it anyway).

http://kotaku.com/#!5755061/expert-says-sexy-scenes-in-video-games-lead-to-sexual-violence

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Interesting. Do video games increase sex too?

A: No.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Another person contacted by Fox wrote to RPS, except none of their comments were used.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02 ... vy-update/

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm 

azcn2503 wrote:
Interesting. Do video games increase sex too?

A: No.

You could be on to something there, perhaps this is perhaps the real reason why they lead to an increase in rape and sexual violence?

/sarcasm.

Skillers wrote:
Another person contacted by Fox wrote to RPS, except none of their comments were used.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02 ... vy-update/

ie, tactfully selecting 'their' facts rather than something that would contribute to the truth.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I think this is the best bit from that article:

Quote:
But seeing these answers also provides further insight into how the mainstream media coverage of gaming stories works. Far from being a reporter ignorant of the subject and twisted by naive contributors, Fox correspondent John Brandon was equipped with a wealth of factual information and informed opinion before composing his frantic article. [...] quite how determined the final story was to ignore the facts in favour of scaring its readers.

This is beyond willful ignorance and shows exactly how pathetic this "news" is.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm 

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Lugash
'Video games to blame for rape increase'

Ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Gozzer constantly rapes me in game. BRB going to rape him in real life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
On kotaku I read the full extent of what she sent to fox news whilst she is still saying the same thing there was one credible thing she did say.

She said that exposure to sexually violent acts would desensitize viewers to that behaviour therefore making them more likely to see it as normal behaviour.

Therefore more people go out and cause more sexually violent acts.

still a long shot but I can at least see there is the tiniest grain of truth in what she is saying. although not really gonna happen.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
You mean the one credible thing that could be applied to any form of media??? Blaming video games is utterly ridiculous.
p.s. didn't read article cos we get this crap (hi panorama: video games cause addiction. Oh right the person you're using is a 20 stone w0w player who has to play 80 hours per week COOL) all the time and it's insanely boring.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Wynney wrote:
You mean the one credible thing that could be applied to any form of media??? Blaming video games is utterly ridiculous.
p.s. didn't read article cos we get this crap (hi panorama: video games cause addiction. Oh right the person you're using is a 20 stone w0w player who has to play 80 hours per week COOL) all the time and it's insanely boring.

I DONT PLAY WOW :'(

But yeah, it seems to be one of those things that the media hates so it must be evil...

Though I just thought... could this really be a ploy by the media to try to make parents to feel better for being shit parents.
i.e. "Don't worry your child just raped an entire county, its the video games, not your shit parenting. You did everything you could"

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7kJRGPgvRQ

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Wired managed to get in contact with the "video games cause rape" woman...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/r ... lieberman/

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

So no actual evidence... no surprise.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Real life needs to be like Wikipedia, it would make facts much more easily discernible.[citation needed]

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 am 

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!

Steam Login Name: Lugash
why let something trivial like lack of any evidence in any form stop you makeing an ass of yourself in public? its a god given right >:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:13 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

A massive RPS post (reading now).

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 pm 

Skillers wrote:
A massive RPS post (reading now).

I've just read it. Basically it looks like she struggled to pick the best of her 'thousands' of studies on this subject.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail