It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Faeward Improvement Week

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I really don't enjoy playing my main character at the moment. His name is Faeward. It will surprise you little to know that he is a Fae (race) Warden (class).

The reason I don't enjoy playing this guy at the moment is quite simple; he is not very powerful. He struggles to solo at solo quests and the only time he ever shines is when he is the healer in a group (and he is a damn good healer - I made sure my spells are Adept III).

Here is a video of Faeward at L33 fighting an Heroic NPC at L25^^^. Watch as I do nearly no damage to this guy and he takes off huge chunks of my health.

Watch this video on Youtube.

Well, that took a while didn't it?!

And this is why Faeward Improvement Week has come around.

Actually what you viewed above was the slightly improved version of Faeward. The old Faeward had an old 2-handed crushing weapon, which was not too shabby and actually had a higher damage rating (marginally). I chose to change this to a 1-handed falchion because it offers a lower attack delay (6s for the staff, 1.6s for the falchion). Of course, I wasn't happy with my standard pristine blessed feyiron falchion, so I bought a glimmering vampiric pith adornment for it (which set me back approximately 50g). This nice little adorn makes my weapon suck health from the enemy at random intervals, it's pretty nice, and the extra damage dealt comes in handy. You'll also notice I have a little roundshield - I bought this from the broker for about 20g, not too much. It's only an oak shield, although oak is considered a rare item in EQII so this is a mastercrafted shield and offers a good amount of protection for me, and allows me to absorb a lot more damage (I would have died before without this, I am certain).

That was the first step of the improvement plan.

The rest of it goes like this:

• Harvest rares in Zek, The Orcish Wastes - enough to mastercraft a load of Tier 4 spells and sell them on the broker for some money
  • Find some feysteel in Zek also, so that somebody can make an even better weapon for me
  • Sell as many unneeded rares as possible to make a lot of money
  • Buy 6 pieces of blood iron ore for the Mossy Blood Hide armour set
  • Continue to harvest rares to make all of my Tier 3 and Tier 4 spells Adept III
  • Continue

I did actually manage to find some feysteel in Zek last night. I contacted a guildy, and he made me a pristine imbued feysteel falchion. It deals a lot more damage than the feyiron falchion, and because it is blessed instead of imbued, it deals additional damage at random intervals. I also purchased another glimmering vampiric pith for this sword and adorned it. So now not only does it deal additional damage because it is imbued, it sucks health away from the enemy and transfers it across to me. The feysteel falchion provides me with a bit more strength and intelligence than the feyiron falchion also, so I am really pleased with it.

You may also be wondering why a spell-caster (primarily) wants a falchion instead of a great-staff? Well, it's all to do with my achievements tree. Let me enlighten you to the following 2 druid achievements:

Wild Ferocity - Increases the Naturalist's chance at attacking twice on every attack.
Natural Boon - The Naturalist's attacks have a chance to heal the group with every successful attack.

So the less the delay is on my weapon, the better. Less delay means more chance of double attacking. The Natural Boon is the one I am really looking forward to though - less delay on my weapon means an even higher chance of my whole group being healed. The heal amount is fixed and is 190 which is only a low to mid level heal at my level, but when you have up to a 32% chance of healing your group members on every successful attack... that's pretty good. I can get 37.5 attacks on to the enemy in 1 minute, which means I can heal my group roughly 12 times in a minute for 2280 health points. That's a large amount! I am hoping that this ability also combines with the double-attack - there will be an up to 40% chance that I can double attack.

In order to get that far, I first need to spend at least 8 achievement points to even begin enhancing my Wild Ferocity ability. Before I do that, I need to obtain my Rebirth ability which is now only 5 points away.

Time to continue harvesting the rares until all of the above have been completed. It needs to be done before the end of the week and before I hit Level 37 (probably accidentally).

Update: This is my new weapon:

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:07 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Faeward Improvement Week

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Faeward Improvement Week has so far gone really well.

Last night I managed to find quite few rares in Zek, which I haven't sold yet. I did find some old lapis lazuli clusters in the bank, and used them to make some Tier 1 spells, which I put on the broker. I made 17g overnight which was pretty good.

I have spent about 50g on 2 clusters of blood iron ore. I only need to buy 4 more of these and to get to level 37 in order to use my new armour!

Last night I also completed an old tradeskill quest which finally got me the Advanced Sage 29 book (the one that I have never seen on the broker). I now have all of the advanced artisan, scholar, and sage books up to my level excluding Advanced Sage 28, which was selling on the broker last night for 3p. Too much.

I have another quest to get my Tier 4 sage book. It rewards a cloak and the quest looks pretty easy so I will do that tonight. It will undoubtedly earn me my 34th achievement point as well. I only need 38 achievement points in total to get my rebirth ability.

I also handed in an old heritage quest early this morning, and that leveled me up to 34 and got me a new stance which is basically a hugely upgraded version of one of my old abilities. I'll get this up to Adept III level soon - I have Advanced Sage 32, 33, 34 and 35 waiting for me in my bank.

So things are going well!

But it has taken a lot of time.

I do enjoy playing him a bit more now though (I can take on a 34^ without losing hardly any health).

Also - I managed to kill 2 filthy freeps last night. A Level 28 guy started attacking my Level 30 girlfriend. I noticed at the last minute embarrassingly... but I cast 3 regenerative heals on her, then set my target on the filthy scum bag. We absolutely frazzled him! Then a Level 37 ranger showed up... he went for me first. I stood there healing myself like crazy as he poisoned, debuffed, backstabbed and arrowed me like crazy, but my heals were regenerating my health faster than he could deal the damage -- my girlfriend in the meanwhile had cast a few damage-over-time spells on this guy, and did an electric shock spell which deals something silly like 700 damage as she has it at Master II level. The guy started limping away. I rooted and snared him so he couldn't do anything and we just pwned him basically.

Fury + Warden forever :D

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Faeward Improvement Week

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Faeward improvement week has been successful.

I managed to get the 6 blood iron ore's that I need for my Mossy Blood Hide armour set.

I have not managed to get much more money.

I tried to get more money by playing as Temprar and using some rare leather and root materials to make some mastercrafted armour to put on the broker... but somebody kept contending my prices. Eventually I just gave up and put my prices back up again - sure, his armour will sell for not much money, and mine will eventually sell for more money! I feel like I have won here.

Faeward is still level 34 and I intend to level him slowly. He has gained 2 achievement points this week and only requires 3 more points to use the rebirth ability.

While I have been harvesting away, I managed to find 3 steel clusters that I can put toward Virge the Dirge. This means that she will have a mastercrafted set of armour pretty soon. I just need to find 4 more steel clusters before I started playing as Virge again - I do not want to rush Virge at all.

So anyway, great success.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:08 am 
 Profile E-mail