It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Another tiny computer!

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Finished building my computer a few days ago, a high powered mATX build in a very small case (the case is quite literally full, if I bought another graphics card there would be basically no space left at all). Specs and pics:

Case: Silverstone SG03B-F
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
Cooler: Antec Kuhler H20 620
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence LP 1600MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX670 4GB SC
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
HDDs: 2x Seagate 7.2k 2TB
ODD: LG Blu Ray Writer
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W (with short cable kit)
Other: Akasa 3.5" card reader + USB3.0 socket

And an external pic, so you understand how small it actually is (the monitor it is next to is a widescreen 22" TFT, for reference):

Spoiler for huge image:

Forgot to take internal pics, but it's pretty boring anyway - most of the machine is covered by PSU and 3.5" bay when you take the side off.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Another tiny computer!

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I could have sworn your original 'tiny' PC was smaller than this one? :P

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

WxDxH (Volume) of each, in cm (^3):

New: 20x31x36 (22320)
Old: 29x39x24 (27144)

So in all the new case is taller, but much thinner and less deep, and is also about 20% smaller by volume. The difference is because this one is arranged like a tower case, with most of the side being the motherboard (there is about 5cm on top for ODD and 5cm at the bottom for HDDs and feet, a couple of cm at the front aswell, mostly so it fits the biggest graphics cards). The old case has the mobo mounted horizontally, but has things mounted further forward. In total, the amount of hardware that both cases can take is the same, though there is a lot more dead space in the old case.

Here's the product page for my new case, you may be able to get an idea of how closely everything is packed. Also, some pics from a review with some hardware in (the review is a slightly older model, but they are mostly the same).

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
What made you switch from your c2q?

Also, why 2x2TB?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Skillers, the man who doesn't need to compensate for his masculine endowment by building a huge computer!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I switched because my graphics card was dying and the comp was 4 years old, so I felt it was time for a completely new one, rather than trying to extend the length of the old comp and upgrading random bits.

2x2TB cos I need the storage. It always seems like I'm overkilling when I build a comp, but by the end of its lifetime I'm always struggling for space. One drive for progs, one for docs, each about 1/4 full so far (I also have 50GB of progs on the SSD, i.e startup progs and heavily played games).

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Skillers wrote:
I switched because my graphics card was dying and the comp was 4 years old, so I felt it was time for a completely new one, rather than trying to extend the length of the old comp and upgrading random bits.

2x2TB cos I need the storage. It always seems like I'm overkilling when I build a comp, but by the end of its lifetime I'm always struggling for space. One drive for progs, one for docs, each about 1/4 full so far (I also have 50GB of progs on the SSD, i.e startup progs and heavily played games).

Hurray, someone else who uses a decent amount of storage! xD

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

That doesn't count the 3/4 full external 2TB drive (though admittedly a lot of that is backup). :P

Lots of DVD rips (which I can't be bothered to encode) plus a very large steam collection.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:09 am 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Skillers wrote:
Lots of DVD rips

Watch this video on Youtube.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I'm ripping DVDs I own for personal use, that's perfectly legal :P

If I was pirating I would probably choose something smaller than DVD rips.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:20 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Skillers wrote:
I'm ripping DVDs I own for personal use, that's perfectly legal :P

If I was pirating I would probably choose something smaller than DVD rips.

Got it, lots of space for BD rips ;)

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yup, if I actually get hold of any Blu Rays, which I should, seeing as I have the drive for it now :P

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Nice Skillers, didn't realise you had a new computer.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hah, I've had this computer for a year, I even brought it to the last LAN!

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:05 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Time flies!

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail