It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Microsoft Surface Table T

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

http://gizmodo.com/5919521/microsoft-su ... d-obsolete

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:11 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: http://gizmodo.com/5919521/microsoft-surface-just-made-the-m

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I wouldn't say obsolete, but the hardware does indeed look interesting, and those keyboards look really nice.
My concerns with this is that by the time it is released later in the year hardware will be outdated, and I'm sure in part the differences between the devices will confuse people. Windows RT can't run "old Windows" applications, but comes with office. Microsoft Surface Pro doesn't come with office but can? Why does the Pro allow stylus input whereas the RT version doesn't? Sure it looks nice, I definitely want to play with it, but could it be a new Zune HD/v1.0 piece of hardware?

Basically it all comes down to: cost, battery life, whats apps are for it and what the competition has. Those factors will determine how well this device is.

Note: Isn't it funny that Microsoft during the keynote was "We love our hardware partners and they do stuff well" just before kicking them in the nuts and teabagging them.

Also: Microsoft has just bought a T! See the change to the tread title. The Surface Table becomes the Surface TableT

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: http://gizmodo.com/5919521/microsoft-surface-just-made-the-m

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Si defects to Apple. Microsoft want the cookie monster back. Releases Surface.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Microsoft Surface Table T

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
The ARM one looks to be an iPad competitor. Main points will be price and number of apps. The apps is going to be the major issue, I think.

The Intel one is pretty interesting, and it fills an interesting market that doesn't have much competition atm (in fact, I can only think of two - Samsung 700T and an older Asus model that is a bit naff). This style of device is actually pretty awesome - full laptop features in a tablet form with digitizer pen (this is very important - makes the tablet ness of it a productivity feature, not a media gimmick). I actually have the 700T (my old HP hybrid broke at XMas) and it's been very good, with this new Surface looking like a pretty similar device with slightly higher specs (higher res - 1080p vs 768, newer gen processor [and therefore graphics] and that nice keyboard thing/kickstand).

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Microsoft Surface Table T

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Between them I'm not really sure which one I'd get. Initially I would say that I would get the Intel one for the same reasons I had my old HP laptop, but tbh for what I was doing I was drifting away from tablet PC based stuff and it was becoming something I used less and less (moving more to coding than note taking) so its more watching media, which I suppose the Intel one would be better for programming (I somehow doubt a Metro version of Submime Text would be coming soon plus I can probably install Ubuntu on if support is good).

I think the appeal here is for device reduction. Not like I have too many devices anyway for using (smartphone, Kindle 3, RasPi, iPad, 15" laptop, desktop)

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 pm 
 Profile E-mail