It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Cookie's Sold his Soul...

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Wrote this, cba to copy/pasta onto forum aswell :P

https://simoncook.org/blog/2012/06/cook ... t-an-ipad/

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:24 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Cookie's Sold his Soul...

Mega Poster
Mega Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The display on them is really lovely, using a friend's iSanitaryTowel was nice just for the display. I ran into the interface irks that you did, however, and it's extremely annoying to only have one hardware button. They could've at least added capacitive buttons on either side of it but mlergh, would've ruined the 'experience' they're trying to sell I guess.

You gonna look into altering the operating system at all?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

What's interesting is that Android seems to be moving away from buttons too partially. Look at the Galaxy Nexus or any HC/ICS tablet, there is a new user interface bar replacing the four buttons, which is quite controversial. Of course with iOS there is the five finger "rage squash an app into oblivion" gesture so I think I'm hardly even using that hardware button at all. On an unrelated note, I find more modern Android devices less usable slightly as I like the trackball on the bottom of my Nexus One, which is something that has now been removed because it was "ugly" even though it's so damn useful.

As for modding the device, probably not for a while, even though I tend to break warranties for modding hardware even within hours sometimes with a device (i.e. my Kindle). The reason for this (and something I meant to write but forgot because it was early morning) is that even with the stock operating system, I am having a few stability issues. The most annoying of which is springboard (I think that's the name of the app launcher) randomly putting all icons from one home screen all on top of another, which basically makes that screen useless as you can't launch what you want unless it happens to be the icon on the top. Also it locks up occasionally, some figured I'd leave it for now and not make it worse. At the moment the only thing I might do is add the iOS6 beta (which is odd when I just spoke about stability), I think I know someone who's a registered iOS developer so I might ask them to add my serial number to their account so I can do this.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Cookie's Sold his Soul...

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

You were talking about this yesterday Si, and it totally skipped my mind that I could have sworn you were anti-Apple. :P

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I'm not anti-Apple, I just buy the hardware that seems to do the best job for what I want at a decent price.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 am 
 Profile E-mail