It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Re: ChuChu Rocket!

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
No. These are rips from the GBA version of the game hence why they are so small :(

My friend is going to make me something way more awesome! And much larger ;)

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Create mode is coming along very nicely. I made a lot of progress on it last night. Collision detection works on the walls. You can right click to place cats, and left click to place mice. You left click to cycle through up, right, down and left. You cannot currently place goals. Portal walls do not work. Resetting a level only remembers the location of the cats and mice at the point they were stopped, not their original location.

Once the above things have been fixed or implemented... it's ready to be play tested, stored on the server, and shared with friends!

It will be fun to make a level, set the initial score, then send it to your friends, only for them to beat your score by either killing more cats, doing it in less moves, getting more near misses with cats, or using less arrows!

Interesting... these guys never catch each other lol

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Please try my new levels :)

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

This should be getting more recognition.

Watch this video on Youtube.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:03 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Every level from the original game has been uploaded.

No biggie.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:34 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I made some changes to the arrow breaking mechanics and also to collision detection this morning (been working on this since 9:30)

If you find any errors, please report them.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Suggestion: Add a "show solution" button to each level.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:46 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Re: ChuChu Rocket!

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Skillers wrote:

This is something we hope to add once the backend is working.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:55 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: BartmanTaz
Skillers wrote:

>< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< ><

Voted for and funded by Scottie UK Ltd.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Skillers wrote:

Maybe a 'show your solution' for after you've solved it an go back to it? ;)

Si and I were thinking of a hint system of some sort that might highlight certain grid squares, programmable by the creator of the level. Probably. A lot of the fun comes from the difficulty and I wouldnt want to override it too much.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:06 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
A general save function would be pretty cool aswell, but honestly, I often just want to see the solution :P

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

It's almost therapeutic watching those mice.

I remember when I had this game on the Dreamcast, I would feel awesome when I finally completed a level I had been working on for ages. I hope it never loses that feeling.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
azcn2503 wrote:
Skillers wrote:

Maybe a 'show your solution' for after you've solved it an go back to it? ;)

Si and I were thinking of a hint system of some sort that might highlight certain grid squares, programmable by the creator of the level. Probably. A lot of the fun comes from the difficulty and I wouldnt want to override it too much.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Should also be a horrifically unoptimised way of completing the level ;)

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Haha :P

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Update: a little thing hidden away in the code.
Load a level in create or classic, then press F12 for dev console (Chrome). Go to console and type in active.showTrail=1; then click Play. It's a bit ugly, but it shows you the grid squares your chuchu occupied as they went around the level. It might help for when you are making very complex custom levels!

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Hello!

I added a few custom levels.

Also, you can place arrows in create mode.

You still can't save them though.

In fact, you can NEVER save them! Never ever! Muahahaha!

#thingstonotsaywhenyouwantpeopletouseyourstuff

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:13 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

So, we identified an issue with arrow breaking last night that makes my arrow breaking function differently to the original game.

My arrow breaking code says that when an arrow breaks, it should still affect the movement of any cats passing over it in that same movement cycle.

The official code says that when an arrow breaks, there is a condition that will affect whether cats continue to move in the same direction, or to be affected by the pointing direction of the arrow. I believe this condition is as follows:

When a cat hits an arrow, it damages it. When another cat hits that arrow, it breaks it. This works fine in my code also.
But when two cats hit an arrow at the same time, it completely destroys it, and only those two cats destroying the arrow should be affected by the pointing direction of that arrow. Remaining cats should pass through the arrow as if it didn't exist.
But when one cat breaks an arrow by going in to a damaged arrow, the game should still continue to process movement for all cats passing over the arrow.

This would explain the differences in expected behaviour in official levels 89 and 91. In level 89 - it is possible to find a solution where 3 cats collide with an arrow at the same time. In the official game, one of the cats passes through and in to a rocket. In my game the cat is affected by the pointing direction of the broken arrow and you find a solution to the level. In level 91, in the official game, all 3 cats are affected by the direction of the broken arrow, which is correct, and exists in my code also, though it comes to that solution via slightly different means. This is because the arrow is broken by 1 cat instead of 2 at one time. I can only assume this is down to the whole "2 cats will instantly destroy an arrow, and 1 cat will break it but its power fades between 1 movement cycle and another, affecting all other cats in the same movement cycle" rule. If that is a rule.

This is obviously an advanced game mechanic and before I bother trying to put this in to code - I need someone with the official game to test how it should work for me to then reinterpret that in to my code. It would be interesting to find out what would happen when 2 cats collide with a damaged arrow at the same time as another cat coming from a direction that would not normally break the arrow hitting that arrow at the same time. Who would be directed where? Which ones would bounce back and which ones would go through it? Would the cat from the intersecting direction be affected by that broken/fading arrow because of this complex rule?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

ChuChu Rocket! released on Android today with 500 levels :)

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

WAIT WHAT

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:10 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

The real one :( not this shitty imitation ;)

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:41 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

azcn2503 wrote:
The real one :( not this shitty imitation ;)

Nah, your one is pretty cool. :)

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:57 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

It will be a bigger product than the original, and provide more features :)

Lots of work to do yet though!

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:36 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

This is better now.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Hey all.

I've pretty much stopped working on CCR now until I get some feedback and suggestions. I'll be working on something else.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 am 
 Profile E-mail  

To be honest, I can't think of anything more you can do. ^^

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail