It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: So after all this cipher stuff...

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
A lot of systems in the last few weeks/months/50days got hacked and their information leaked in a plain text format.

I have a concept that I think could work to help further protect peoples information in the event that someone breached a database somewhere, and I believe it should be a common practice. However, I know that it is not.

For every record in a database that contains personal information, it would make sense to encrypt that data. So for example, their credit card number, or their email address, or their real address. The encryption key could be some combination of their username and password hash, combined with a date/time of registration, last login, last transaction, and/or some other secret pass phrase.

This way, every record in the database would be encrypted differently and it would be extremely tough to crack unless they had access to the files that decrypted the information - which should obviously not be hosted publicly (server screws up and loses PHP plugin for example - all the raw source code would display).

Of course, this does not protect against inside attacks. It never has done and never will do.

I'm going to try to do something like this on webtagr.com this week if I get the time. Which I won't.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: So after all this cipher stuff...

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: sparksftw
Except... it is encrypted. The last link from lulzsec was all encrypted passwords. Sony was the only idiot storing stuff in plaintext(Seriously?)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Did they say how well the data was encrypted?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sony's data? They might as well have had a big sign saying HACK ME plastered all over their back. No idea about other companies.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

But once the hack was made, the data was available in plaintext right?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:14 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
a) Are we mistaking hash for encrypt in places. They are different functions and have different usefulnesses in different places.

b) It doesn't matter how good something is encrypted. All good security should depend on the key being private and a good algorithm, even if if a database is leaked, without the correct key the data should be entirely useless.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Si wrote:
a) Are we mistaking hash for encrypt in places. They are different functions and have different usefulnesses in different places.

These things are definitely not being confused, well, not by me anyway!

I'll put my idea in webtagr soon Si... soon as in... soon™. Basically next week but probably up to 2 weeks, maybe 3. It's real busy at real work :( It will make more sense when I put this idea in to a live system.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

azcn2503 wrote:
But once the hack was made, the data was available in plaintext right?

Only the sony one which had no encryption full stop. SEGA and the other sitest were only u/n and emails i believe(which to be honest, don't really need a massive encryption)

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 am 
 Profile E-mail