It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Re: I need a new graphics card

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Wynney wrote:
Yeh, it happens very rarely and it's literally when I need to get rid of the dust again so should probably leave it as it is!!! xD

Fair enough then. I was surprised how little dust there was on my GPU, but I got rid of it all. No change in temperatures, sadly. :(

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
There might be a big dust ball hidden beneath the fan. Also if you use something to "scratch" [not scratch just can't think of the word] of the fan parts itself then that makes a difference as well. Like the actual fan is grey instead of red so if you clean that up I found it made a big difference.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Wynney wrote:
There might be a big dust ball hidden beneath the fan. Also if you use something to "scratch" [not scratch just can't think of the word] of the fan parts itself then that makes a difference as well. Like the actual fan is grey instead of red so if you clean that up I found it made a big difference.

Trust me, no dust was left unmoved or unnoticed. I did my best to safely get rid of every piece of dust on the card. I wiped off the blaes (they're kind of a greyish beige anyway), that sort of thing. Got a few bits off the heatsink as well.

EDIT: My current HD5840:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Hmm, might have been an idea to move the card next to it, could be cutting the air supply off.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:14 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
The temperatures have increased since I moved my wireless card next to the gpu actually. But it's the only slot that seems to work for it :(

(I'm aware you're talking to met :p but it could explain the temp increase recently as well lol)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Skillers wrote:
Hmm, might have been an idea to move the card next to it, could be cutting the air supply off.

Hm....it's possible. I was thinking I'd have to move it anyway to accomodate the new card.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

It's installed, currently idling at 56 degrees celsius with a fan speed of 39%.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
What card did you buy?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Blimey, I didn't post about that. :P

I got a Saphire HD6850.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Lord Metritutus wrote:
I just ordered this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244431

And a couple of fans.

Actually, you did :P

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:04 pm 

Skillers wrote:
Lord Metritutus wrote:
I just ordered this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244431

And a couple of fans.

Actually, you did :P

You're right! I just assumed Si had read the thread and didn't check for whether I'd posted about it. :P

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail