It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: I need a new graphics card

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I need a new graphics card. Please shoot me affordable and good recommendations if you can. Thanks. :)

Currently using a HD4850.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: I need a new graphics card

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
http://www.videocardshop.co.uk/viewprod ... cat%3d0%26

BAM

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I've only ever purchased ATI cards, I know nothing of NVidia ones. Do you have any experience with that card? Does anyone else?

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
9800GTX is a bit old, and would probably be slower than your current one.

Anyway, what's your budget?

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 am 

Skillers wrote:
9800GTX is a bit old, and would probably be slower than your current one.

Anyway, what's your budget?

I'm probably looking to spend as much as I did on this one. If it will fit in my PC. >-<

Trouble is, I can't remember how much I spent on the HD4850, but I may have posted it on the forum somewhere...

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:51 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
Meh im a HD4870

Its still good.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
John you would have spent about £100-120 on your HD4850. Look at either a HD4x or HD5x card.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Does this one look any good to you people?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251995

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
That seems a bit expensive to me, but I haven't been keeping up with the pricing scene these days

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: wigouche
5850 is good whaty iv got, and from the fact the price has only deoped £25 since i bought mine over a year ago am gessing it cant b that bad on price

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

£150 is about the cheapest you can get a 58/68 for. Not sure how good they are, but don't think there's been much improvement over the 4 series.

I take it your old one is broken, Met?

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I love how Wigouche posted and Skillers treats it like it's no big deal!!!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
My 4870 still serves me well.

My advice: read reviews, get the graphics you actually need (no point in all that extra power and cost if you're never going to use it), look around places like scan.co.uk (or .com, whatever it is) and compare prices.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

I will indeed be checking out reviews of cards etc. I was just hoping I might get a few pointers as to what might be some fairly good ones.

I'm not after a stupidly powerful card, I will however pay what the last one cost (ie, I'm hoping for a little upgrade :P ). I think it was around £140 or so, but I could be mistaken, I'll check that out.

Skillers, basically it's idling at around 70 degrees celsius and dies in detailed games. It can handle TF2 okay (that only pushes it to around 100), but games like Batman Arkham Asylum are unfortunately not playable without risking it dying (black screen death).

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hmm, take the card out and blow really hard down the heatsink, it might just be a buildup of dust.

I suggest you do this outside or out a window, though...

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Inhale for the lulz!

It made a big difference when I blew the dust out of my X850 back in the day. It was hot and loud, but after a good blow it was cool and quiet (or as quiet as an X850 could be, which wasn't really that much).

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 am 
 Profile E-mail  

azcn2503 wrote:
Inhale for the lulz!

It made a big difference when I blew the dust out of my X850 back in the day. It was hot and loud, but after a good blow it was cool and quiet (or as quiet as an X850 could be, which wasn't really that much).

I will power down my PC, pull out my GPU and blow the dust off of it.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

I just ordered this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244431

And a couple of fans.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

fan looks so much better than the 4850 :(. The 4850's fan literally seems to be so pathetic xD

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Wynney wrote:
fan looks so much better than the 4850 :(. The 4850's fan literally seems to be so pathetic xD

Idling 75 degrees with the 4850. :P

However my brother's is idling 45 so I do know something's wrong. ><

However I hope that this one will run nice and cool...

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Mine is idling at 69degrees right now but it seems to change a lot :|. When I clean out dust from my pc it goes down to around ~45 but it gets so dusty so quickly it has to be done quite often.

It's irritating xD. And my pc randomly cuts out sometimes when playing games due to overheating. i'm expecting its the gpu but can't be sure. At least it does cut out rather than dying :>

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Wynney wrote:
Mine is idling at 69degrees right now but it seems to change a lot :|. When I clean out dust from my pc it goes down to around ~45 but it gets so dusty so quickly it has to be done quite often.

It's irritating xD. And my pc randomly cuts out sometimes when playing games due to overheating. i'm expecting its the gpu but can't be sure. At least it does cut out rather than dying :>

Does it power off or does it black screen? My PC almost always simply black-screens when the temperature was getting too high (around 113 degrees celsius). It's only powered down by itself once (that's what made me start looking at the temperatures and I realised what was causing the black screen death, as I didn't know before then what the cause was).

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Power off lol. I don't get blank screen, the pc just cuts out and turns off :p Only happens when I play games occasionally. Happened like ~2 times on fo3, used to happen all the time on Grid xD. Stuff like source / tf2 seems to always be fine.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Wynney wrote:
Power off lol. I don't get blank screen, the pc just cuts out and turns off :p Only happens when I play games occasionally. Happened like ~2 times on fo3, used to happen all the time on Grid xD. Stuff like source / tf2 seems to always be fine.

TF2 isn't that demanding on the GPU, it's why I can still play it okay (temperatures only go to around 100).

I think you can change what temperature your PC will shut down on for your GPU in your BIOS settings if you want to try and increase the tolerance...you 'might' fry your card, mind, if it gets too hot for whatever reason.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Yeh, it happens very rarely and it's literally when I need to get rid of the dust again so should probably leave it as it is!!! xD

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 pm 
 Profile E-mail