It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Possible graphics card failure

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm stuck with a wierd issue, that only happens in certain games, sometimes only in certain situations in those games.

The issue is this: The screen will go black, and the sound will loop. Everything is unresponsive (like my old freezing issue). Keyboard lights do not change if I press caps lock etc, the only way out is to reset the PC.

Areas where I've noticed the issue occur:

Starcraft 2
* One particular mission (Whispers of Doom) the game will randomly cause the issue. I tried doing various things in the mission but there was no consistency for the black screen death. Now here's the weird part, it only does this on High detail. If I crank the detail settings up to Ultra, it's fine.

* If left on Ultra detail for the beginning of the campaign, it will randomly die in the bar.

* Finally, there's the main menus. No matter where I am or what I'm doing on the menu (before I've started a game, single player or multiplayer), it will invariable die with the black screen issue.

Left 4 Dead 2
* When you start the journey back with the fuel in Hard Rain, the black screen issue on that map will constantly occur. I remember I kept retrying to do it and it always died on that map. Not instantly, it was once I'd gone outside a little way.

Metro2033
* Early on in the game the issue occurs. Died for me when I first met Hunter.

Just Cause 2
* Killed it almost instantly after it finished loading yesterday.

There may well be other examples but these are the ones that come to mind. I have just updated my graphics drivers (via Steam's auto-downloading of the latest updates which I wish I could turn off >< ). I'm going to try Just Cause 2 again and see how it runs.

In the mean time if anyone has any suggestions, recommendations etc, please post them.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Possible graphics card failure

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
I suggest you... *puts on glasses* hit it with a wrench.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

After upgrading my graphics drivers, youtube videos render in green. I'm going to try Just Cause 2, then uninstall and reinstall the drivers to see if that makes a difference.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:43 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Well, just played around an hour of Just Cause 2 without my PC dying. Youtube green screened videos was fixed by right clicking on the video, hitting settings and then unchecking 'Enable hardware acceleration'.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail