It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Reinstalling Windows 7

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: gozzer25
My girlfriend has just purchased a laptop with windows 7 pre-installed meaning its full of shit HP decided to whack on there. I'd like to format the HDD and do a fresh install of windows but I'm not actually sure how to legally/officially obtain the install files to do so.

I know I can just go torrent the needed files but I would like to know how to actually get an installation CD or officially download the files. Silly that they don't provide a CD with the laptop really...... :S

Would appreciate if anybody could point me in the right direction. Ta.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:44 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Reinstalling Windows 7

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Really the only way is to get a 32 or 64 bit disc from someone and use that. You can't download it. However HP does have a restore parition with Windows in... though it has all the crapware in there :(

Sorry this isn't that helpful, but this is the sad ways of bundled versions of Windows.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Are you off to uni? If so, pick up a cheap copy of Win 7 for yourself here then give her a copy of the install files and use her own code with it.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 pm 

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

If you want to get the key off your laptop, you can use this handy little utility if you've lost the box and so on.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

It doesn't say it works with Windows 7, but it does say it works with Vista so I'd say it's a pretty reasonable bet it works on Windows 7 as well.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Si wrote:
Really the only way is to get a 32 or 64 bit disc from someone and use that. You can't download it. However HP does have a restore parition with Windows in... though it has all the crapware in there :(

Sorry this isn't that helpful, but this is the sad ways of bundled versions of Windows.

Wow! Thought this was going to be the case but was hoping it wouldn't be ;|

Already discovered that the restore partition is jammed with pre-installed software myself. Guess I'll just have to find a friend with an install CD, or obtain one with another method :no:

Thanks for the help all.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:44 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Just needed this for my housemate's laptop (YAY HP BLOATWARE!)

We found this:

http://www.itechnobuzz.com/tips-and-tri ... ks-leaked/

They are links to the downloads for MS official online store, they work and at good speed too (currently downloading one as we have a Home Premium key and only Professional discs). Just match the version with the one on the laptop.

Enjoy!

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:56 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
favourited just in case I ever need to dl. Thanks.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

I'd seen a few of those 'leaked' links before on some other blogs but was a tad sceptical. However I don't have much choice now so I'm gonna go ahead and download.

Let us know how you get on installing it on your house mates laptop Skillers! Thanks.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
The url of these seem legit, as it is the domain which Microsoft sales do come from.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Downloaded, burnt to disc and installed (using the product key on the laptop) easily.

These are legit, they are links to MS downloader links (same base URL I got my Win 7 Pro from the student deal).

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am 

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Was a success. Many thanks all! :D

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:04 pm 
 Profile E-mail