It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: How much does an FX-60 cost?

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Don't worry, I'm not asking because I already know.

I was just taking a look at the Overclockers.co.uk news section, and they told me that at 10:45, there was a big reduction on all Athlon 64 processors (Sempr0n, Athlon 64, X2 and FX)... I had a look, and sure enough things are going pretty cheap, for example the Athlon X2 4400+ is selling for ?300 including VAT!

I looked at the FX-60, and it said they had it in the 'This week only' section for ?10 less excluding VAT. Bleh, pretty lame I thought.

I jumped over to Scan.co.uk and you wouldn't believe how cheap this is going for! ?586.63 including VAT! That's simply incredible, because yesterday it cost ?710!

Take a look at it [url=http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=326312]here.[/url]

Here is a screenshot, just in case the price changes:
[img:2f35773876]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/azcn2503/cheapfx6.jpg[/img:2f35773876]

Is it worth it though? If you're looking for something that's going to be extremely fast and relatively futureproofed, then this is ideal, but do remember that Socket AM2 motherboards and processors are emerging already! The new socket is capable of running an Athlon 64 processor with DDR2 memory. Currently, DDR2 doesn't quite match up to the low latency performance of DDR, however you can be pretty sure that some low latency modules will be released alongside the AM2 launch (23rd May 2006). I know that Kingston are planning on releasing 2 x 1GB low latency paired DDR2 modules on 23rd of this month.

Also remember that the FX-62 is going to be released on the 23rd, and this is going to be like having 2 x FX-57's on one chip (2 x 2.8GHz with 1MB L2 per core), and I guess that it will be going for roughly ?710, taking the place of the current FX-60.

Oh, by the way, the new 5000 series CPU's from Athlon will be missing one! The 5200+ will not be released til later on in the year. The 5200+ will be a locked version of the FX-60. The processors to be released on the 23rd will go up to 5000+, so you'll be missing that extra 1MB of total L2 cache!

Mon May 15, 2006 10:15 am 
 Profile E-mail