It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Need a new CPU here!

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Current: Intel E2200 @2.2GHz (dual core)
Want: Intel <insert CPU here> @ <insert speed here>

Price: £50-£150

Specifics: Must be powerful enough for TF2 to run at 60fps minimum

Link me to buying places if you can.

Go :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:54 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Need a new CPU here!

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

What graphics card do you have?

Each of these 3 are the same, except for price and clock speed.

£95 - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz Processor
For an extra £5, you can get (4*0.17) GHz. (which is 0.68 GHz).
£100 - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5 GHz Processor
For an extra £20, you can get another (4*0.16) GHz. (which is 0.64 GHz).
£120 - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz Processor

So for an extra £25, you're basically getting an extra 1.32GHz, and it's a quad core so I'm pretty sure that you will get 60+ fps, unless your GPU is bottlenecking your CPU, in which case you need a new GPU.

Last edited by Harry on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Q6600 would do you well.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My GPU is a Radeon 4870. For TF2, GPU bottlenecking is not a problem as it's heavily CPU intensive and only lightly taxing to the GPU.

Thanks for your responses though :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Q6600

My friend thinks that these aren't in production anymore, and they're quite pricey for what they do.

Yeah, the 4870 will handle it :D

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

On EBay I bet they are going for £50 or something. Difficult for me to check right now.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Ebay, Q6600 - $58

It has like 1h20m remaining, but me/my friend wouldn't buy hardware from eBay.

And apparently with the right sort of cooling, you could get this overclocked to something like 4.8GHz, the seller of this did it so this specific CPU would be able to do it, but an OC that big would probably be unstable.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
A full 100% increase in cpu speed... fried cpu warning.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Never buy previously overclocked hardware from eBay (well, small OCs are fine).

As everyone has already said, just look at C2Qs in your price range, their should be plenty. Any will work fine.

Alternatively, the CPU you have is an excellent OCer, you could try pushing it a bit.

However, the hardware you have shouldn't be struggling with TF2 anyway :/

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Skillers wrote:
Alternatively, the CPU you have is an excellent OCer, you could try pushing it a bit.

However, the hardware you have shouldn't be struggling with TF2 anyway :/

I can't be bothered to make a thread saying "Need OC instructions here!" ><

Also, I get 20-30fps when 2 or more people are fighting it out. Alone, I have 60+ fps. I've tried a lot of tweaking just to get it not to dip below 20fps (it used to do 10-15fps in a fight). I am aware it shouldn't struggle but it does. I'm not alone; reports of people with i7s and 5870s etc having really low fps are not uncommon. VALVe also have stated somewhere that they are aware an fps problem does exist in the game that causes people issues and that they're trying to fix it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

I don't know if this is the same, but for the two months that I played wow, I saw a lot of threads complaining about super lower FPS with super high-end systems, could be the same?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:16 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Harry wrote:
I don't know if this is the same, but for the two months that I played wow, I saw a lot of threads complaining about super lower FPS with super high-end systems, could be the same?

It can't be the same; WOW and TF2 run on different game engines. It is basically the same though; extreme-end systems reporting low fps on games that are older than recent games that they run perfectly fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

That's what I was going for :)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Double Poster
Double Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: thesupegerbil
What's your ram/motherboard?
Also operating system.

Oh and the settings you'd play TF2 on(res, qualities, AA, AF)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

PC
RAM: 4GB DDR2 667mhz
Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE

TF2
Res: 1680x1050
Quality: All high
AA: Max
AF: Max

The settings of TF2 make virtually no difference to my FPS. I set everything to low and barely got 10fps improvement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Thats because you have AA set to max >< Lower it and see if your framerate changes

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

If it's a CPU issue, which it probably is knowing Source, then graphics settings won't change anything.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Si wrote:
Thats because you have AA set to max >< Lower it and see if your framerate changes

I did lower it. It made 0 change at all. And what Skillers said. My GPU is powerful enough to handle TF2 without bottlenecking. My CPU however probably isn't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:11 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well what's your cpu usage when playing tf2?

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Si wrote:
Well what's your cpu usage when playing tf2?

60-80% overall.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Can TF2 use both cores or just the 1?
(For that matter, can anything use multiple cores?)

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:23 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yes and yes.

There's an option in TF2 called "multicore rendering" that enable it.

For a program to use multiple cores it needs to be multithreaded. It's become quite common in the past few years.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:31 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Whats the cpu usage of just tf2

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Si wrote:
Whats the cpu usage of just tf2

55-75%

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:20 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

It's quite incredible that TF2 is using that much juice. I'll have to check what happens on my system when I get home. I forget what CPU I am using.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 am 
 Profile E-mail