It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Intel Core i7-980X

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
New Intel core. 6 cores, 12 threads, clocked at 3.33ghz but very overclockable. Also features 32mm transistors which make it very power efficient. Overall, looks very nice.
£820 roughly including VAT but considering it rivals a pair of quad-core Xeon W5580s in terms of speed etc this is an extremely good bargain. A pair of Xeons set you back £2.5k not including all the hardware you'll need including a dual motherboard etc, this can be fitted with a standard LGA1366 motherboard, so very nice overall.

Only problems are the slightly silly name and the fact not all applications and games can use the full potential although that may come in time. Its predecessor is the i7-975, and the small numerical gap would imply a very small difference, but the difference between the 2 is astonishingly good.

Aaron will love this :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Intel Core i7-980X

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I thought Aaron was rocking the AMD decent pricing these days :P

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:42 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Hey guys, I'm currently rockin the AMD decent pricing these days :)

Made myself bankrupt too many times.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:59 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: BartmanTaz
I don't think there's much call for that processor at an enthusiast (most of us) level.

Voted for and funded by Scottie UK Ltd.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Once Aaron has enough cash to flash, he knows this is his CPU to get... along with a HD5890 and some other expensive yet powerful gear ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Hawke wrote:
Once Aaron has enough cash to flash, he knows this is his CPU to get... along with a HD5890 and some other expensive yet powerful gear ;)

I expect by the time he has enough money for this and other extremely expensive hardware the next generation of ATI cards will be out. :P

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I'm saving up for a holiday.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
azcn2503 wrote:
I'm saving up for a holiday.

good man. I'm also saving up for a holiday!

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am 
 Profile E-mail