It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Unlimited Detail

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

This is fascinating, well worth watching.

Watch this video on Youtube.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Unlimited Detail

Samosa!
Samosa!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Witch Craft!

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: kyhas
5 minutes and no more yet video is 8 mins long

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:51 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

kyhas wrote:
5 minutes and no more yet video is 8 mins long

If you bothered to watch it all you would have noticed that at around 4:30 he asks for more time. :P

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

meh i couldn;t be bothere to wait so i made an obvious comment.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Wow he has a ridiculously dull voice >_<

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 am 
 Profile E-mail  

DHR-107 wrote:

Really? How much of the video did you watch? I found him quite entertaining personally.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

great speakers speak alike? i'm only kidding met :D

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

also did anyone else notice video stutter when they were demoing it or was it just me?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Nannal wrote:
also did anyone else notice video stutter when they were demoing it or was it just me?

The sound for the narrator glitches briefly when viewing the city from Rome: Total War but otehr than that any other artifacts I would put down to it simply being poor quality youtube video. :P

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:44 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

They're not dead, and have released a new video on a new channel for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EuclideonOfficial

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Yeah, it's good stuff.

I like the 1 Year Later...

Followed by all things awesome.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Mega Poster
Mega Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: siggs_gbr
DHR-107 wrote:

Funny, i thought he sounded abit like you Dave ^-^

Also, I love the possibilities are...but my question is, with the unlimited detail, what is it going to do to the modelers? Companies are going to have people specifically to model/scan barely noticeable things like rocks or individual bricks.

That's overkill. So companies will no doubt be selective where they use their 'unlimited' detailing.

Which means for things like the ground, they might well just go back to a textured surface, with parallax mapping probably, to give it depth.

Which is what we have now. So really, by the time this is widely available, the polygon count in game worlds will have increased, and the implementation of this will be, well, less effective.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
I'm dubious, if this is actually real I will be impressed.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:22 pm 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

I think harry put on his Facebook a post by Notch calling all this a big scam :|

The amount of data needed is ridiculous if Notch worked it out right...

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

TBH I think Notch probably overestimated it, seeing as you could do a pretty simply trick of having very little depth to the land, i.e have it 10cm thick, rather than 8m. Still, his points were very valid. The videos show a lot of repetition, for instance, which could drastically reduce the requirements for creating the environments. Said post is one of the reasons I'm skeptical (though the main one is quite simply - "too good to be true", Notch's post gives that some substance). Note also that the thing shown at 1:30 in the second video is simply a fractal pattern made of points that are an object - a huge amount of repetition that creates an apparently impressive result that is technically meaningless.

Here's Notch's post.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 pm 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: BartmanTaz
They have been around for years peddling strange propaganda against the big "polygon companies" who don't want things to get better . Very Silly.

And Skillers if the island was 10cm thick then you could have no depth or height in any game environment.

Voted for and funded by Scottie UK Ltd.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Not the island, the ground. You don't need to have all the particles existing due to occlusion. Infact, everything could be completely hollow, making things only a few mm thick.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:42 am 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Yeah 8M is still pretty small, that's shorter than the old Geography block. And 1x1 KM maps are probably not out of the question at all... I mean, take Fuel's world for example, I know it renders bit by bit, but it is colossally huge... That would be mad to render in this way :/

Yeah, But surely that might cause clipping issues if movement is weird for a character? Just seems strange they are rendering the inside of objects too at the moment :|

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Notch did a followup post, worth reading: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8423008802 ... not-a-scam

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 am 

Yeah, Kotaku had an article for it as well from another Minecraft creator:
http://kotaku.com/5827034/minecraft-creator-calls-bullshit-on-unlimited-detail-graphics-hype

And their response:
http://kotaku.com/5827192/euclideon-creator-swears-infinite-detail-is-not-a-hoax

Seems they got funding out of the Australian government. :S

All we can really do is wait and see what happens.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Those are Notch's post plus some comments from Kotaku readers, not another Minecraft creator :/

The tech is promising, but it certainly isn't as good as they are making it out to be in the video, and I got a distinct impression of skirting around the issues in both the video and that interview (note how the storage requirement issue wasn't even addressed). Maybe they do just need to work on it, but until I see something a bit more substantial than that video, I'm not convinced.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Let's wait a couple more years and see what happens :)

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Skillers wrote:
Those are Notch's post plus some comments from Kotaku readers, not another Minecraft creator :/

Yeah, my mistake, not sure how I read it that way. ><

azcn2503 wrote:
Let's wait a couple more years and see what happens :)

Indeed.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:54 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!

Steam Login Name: Lugash
Skillers wrote:
I'm dubious, if this is actually real I will be impressed.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 pm 
 Profile E-mail