It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: I bought a new PC, gradually

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I've just built my family a computer. They saw mine and wanted one just like it, or pretty close. So here are the specs:

* Coolermaster Cavalier 3 Silver Case
* Enermax Noisetaker 485W PSU
* Abit AX8 Motherboard
* AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor
* 1GB Corsair PC3200XL Memory (2 matched 512MiB modules)
* XFX Nvidia 6800GS XXX Edition Graphics
* Maxtor 40GB IDE HDD (from old computer)
* 52x32x52 CD-RW (from old computer)
* 12x DVD-ROM (from old computer)
* Sony Black Floppy drive
* Razer Copperhead Mouse
* Cherry Cybo@rd Keyboard

They're currently using my rather delicious Sennheiser PC165's right now, but that'll soon be fixed when my brother abducts the computer to his room and plays arouhnd with all aspects of the sound.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:27 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Nice, especially the nVidia card!

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:37 am 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yeah, the graphics card is pretty nifty. Well; it's not bad for a budget mid-range card; it's only ?200!

The thing that's holding back it's performance is the hard drive, because its a 5400rpm ATA100 drive that came from my old Crapard Bell.

Sometimes, UT2004 will drop to frame rates of around 50 in places where my ATI card will maintain a stable 200. But you get what you pay for. Unless it's an Intel processor.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

nvidia RULEZ!

Hmm, replace it!

I don't think UT2004 is being limited by the GFX card, my 6800GT (older version of the GS) can hold high framerates constantly. Infact, it may be the hard drive as the game tries to load stuff/use the page file a bit.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

There's an option in UT2004 to minimise the HDD usage by loading textures in to RAM, which is what I'm doing. But you're right; the HDD is dated.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:14 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, OK, but it isn't the graphics card's problem! No way would the graphics card go that slow.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:23 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Well it looks like it is. You do get what you pay for, after all, and it was only just under ?200. It only has 12 pixel pipelines.

The thing I absolutely love about the card is that it is single slot and virtually silent.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:12 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Heh, the GT has 16 (I thought it had 24, bu that's the 7800GTX). Actually, I've heard the GS can be "unlocked", hehe...

As for silence and heat, nVidia are good at that, I like to say they are AMD, more of the architechture than the clocks.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:19 pm