It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: a screwed upgraded system

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: wigouche
when instaslling an upgrade motherboard and graphics card i had to remove the cpu from the old mb but when removing the heatsink the cpu came out with it and in doing so a few pins got bent and then i staghtened them and installed it with no problems but the system will not boot in any way the fans turn on and the drives spin but the sreen dosnot start or any type of boot sequece aniciate i know this problem probably is the cpu but do ne1 know what i could do to fix or cheak if this realy is the only problem it

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
your cpus buggered mate

to check: put in old mobo and check bootup

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:07 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

now im also lookin for the best deals on amd64 processors hast to be around 100 and be above the spec of my current amd 64 3000+

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Yeah, CPU's buggered.

Currently, the "bottom" of the range AMD 64 is the 3200+, which is 0.2GHz faster than current (~11%) and costs about ?90 from most online retailers.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:23 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

how about 1 up from it

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

The 3500 is 0.2GHz faster again (meaning it's core is 2.2GHz) and costs about ?130.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:31 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

i think im going to get a new 1 and then make a new sys and see if i can get the old 1 workin again

and sinse when did u not have to pay vat

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Cool.

Oooh, sorry, I got the 3200 price wrong, they're actually ?110, thought they'd dropped. Oh well.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:05 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

after further tests it has been found that the mother bord is faulty and has been sent back to be replaced the processor seems to be workin fine now so i cant upgrade till my birthday if i don't spend nethin from now till then

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:40 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well, that's generally good. Atleast you didn't buy a new processor and think it was faulty aswell. Or something like that.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:36 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

well yeah but i would of got a new proccessor witout paying for it now i have to pay for it

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah, yeah, good point. Oh well.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:48 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Make sure you have enough thermal paste on your CPU. The CPU quite often comes out with the HSF and you need a screwdriver or knife to get between the heatspreader edge and the HSF to get some leverage. If the thermal paste is smudged too much, or you touched it, or it's squidging out of the sides; the chances are that it will not cool as efficiently as it did before. I replaced my CPU 3 times this year, and by the third time, it was running at 55C when idle, whereas usually it runs below 30. I used Arctic Silver 5 (after the cleaning lotions) and now it works much better!

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

But don't go overboard or that makes it bad aswell.

Though too much is better than none at all - I have a none overclockable GFX card here cos I fried the core :S (it was overclockable before).

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:21 pm 

Post Post subject:

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Wait. My brothers computer from school had the same problem.

Am I right that: You switch it on, the fans come on you might hear a bit of har drive chatter. Also, both the hard drive light and the power light stay on and don't go out, and nothing appears on the screen.

Am I right, or is it something different. I have no idea what causes it other than that taking everything out the cards and putting them back in made it work sometimes. Also, shaking the computer also fixed it (although it fixed it less often than the card thing).

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:28 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Similar symptoms, but it can be caused by many things. From what AC said, it didn't make any beeps, which usually means the BIOS and other parts of the mobo have failed (the BIOS makes the beep sequences happen, IIRC).

Yours sounds like it could be a couple of things. Firstly, take all cards but the GFX card out and see if it works then. If it does, put the cards in one by one until you have a problem. This would mean that either that card or that socket is faulty.

As shaking it seems to work, it may notbe faulty, just dusty. Give it a good clean with a PC vacuum (small thing) and make sure all the sockets are clean (no dust inside). You probably don't need to bother with the CPU as that is completely covered.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:16 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

if the graphics ever brake up at all then the graphics slot is falling off and when u shake it or replace it the conecting reconect for a bit but then eventurly fall back out that was a problem i had with a computer once but theres no way of fixing it unless ur realy skilled solderer and know the full workins of motherbords

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:43 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

You would also need a very small soldering iron. I would suggest trying my way first.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:55 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

and i wouldn't try my way at all just somthing to consider there are to many thing that can go wrong even with the right eqipment as even the manufacturers wouldn't fix things like this only replace them

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, unfortunately I know he won't be able to get replacements for that PC. It's really old.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:13 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

ill be suprised if the company that made it is still in business under the same management or even at all

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Probably is, one of those companies that makes loads selling to schools. But they don't honour warranties that people don't have and are out of date anyway.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:53 pm 

Post Post subject:

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

they are unlikly to be a free warrentys neway with student use of them

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:55 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Why are we talking about warranties that don't exist and would be invalid if they did?

(Rhetorical, suggesting we get slightly back on topic)

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:40 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I don't think there's a topic for discussion any more... *sob*... Unless there's any news on a new mobo/system?

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:02 am 
 Profile E-mail