It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Post subject: Re: Skillers new comp (56K begone!) - 10/09 - Primer, prep an...

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Demonata
arent you frikken finished yet?!?!?!

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:48 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Skillers new comp (56K begone!) - 10/09 - Primer, prep an...

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
This topic desperately needs pictures :'(

Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:17 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Sorry people, I've been having real problems getting the front to fit correctly. I'm hoping I will be able to get it done properly today (got some new, longer bolts). You will get pictures when it's done. And you will get a lot of them :D

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:46 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

IT IS FINISHED!

Log tomorrow, of epic proportions, lol.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:09 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Skillers new comp (56K begone!) - 20/09 - FINISHED!

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

So here it is, the final update!

This update is so big that I will split it into 5 sections;

Delivery
Building
Front finalisation
Finishing touches
Final pics

Delivery

Gallery link.

There was a van;

It came bearing boxed gifts;

Inside the box were all these wonderful things (excluding the motherboard);

I also salvaged a fan controller from my old comp;

And I had a look inside the PSU and GPU boxes. Check the above link for all the pics, including individual pics of all the items.

Building

Gallery link.

An empty case awaited filling;

Starting with the fans (2 in at front, 1 out at back);

This is quite a nice inclusion by DFI, a plug for the front header stuff, so you can plug them in ready then as one into the mobo;

Motherboard on the mobo tray, with the PCI blanker in the unused slot;

Processor in place, RAM being installed;

GPU installed;

Test fitting, notice the location of the CPU socket, it's way to close to the front for the Freezer7 to fit;

This meant more had to be removed (even more was removed after this, aswell);

I even had to mod the fan (notice the lack of guards on the right hand side and the bottom left corner. The bottom left corner had more removed later, this was because it was in the way of the NB heatsink on the motherboard);

I cleaned the base of the cooler and covered it in MX2;

And then I installed it (not knowing it still didn't fit and would have to be refitted later [twice, one for case occlusion, once because the HDD got in the way and pushed it out the holes]);

This is what gets in the way, the motor housing collides with the bar, which had a small square removed later;

I then fitted the new HDD and the old fan controller, plus a bunch of cables. You can also see the square I was on about a second ago if you look at the fan;

I used the space under the CD drive to store most of the cables;

Here's a little something special. I drilled two holes in the PCI backing plate and installed two switches, one locking push switch for the lights and one momentary push switch for rest;

I then fitted the PSU;

Followed by arranging all the wires correctly and installing the DVD drive. Note the orientation of the right hand side HDDs, their cables push the heatsink back, which cuased the temperature problems I had in a previous post;

Sides on for a test fit;

As just mentioned, the HDDs blocked the fan, so they had to be turned round. This meant I needed right angled SATA cables, but I couldn't find any suitable ones...
... so I made my own! (Well, my dad did this while I was sorting out other stuff)
If you're wondering how to do this, all you need is a clamp and a heat gun (like a hair drier, just a lot hotter). Put the end in the clamp, heat it up and bend. Make sure you bend it the right way, though, as SATA cables are notched, I needed my notch on the outside of the corner.

This is what they look like fitted. You can probably see how little space there is for cables (which makes them hard to get in and out, which I had to do far too many times). You can also see a cathode in place;

And here's the inside from the left. The cathode is tiewrapped to the metal bar, and you can see the new wireless card aswell, and (part of) my magasine collection. Sorry for the flash washout;

Again, check the gallery link for more pics.

Front finalisation

Gallery link.

The DVD cover cut out and sanded;

The fan covering mesh (I gut holes in this for the bolts, but don't have a picture of that);

Front and DVD drive cover after primer;

DVD drive cover after paint;

Front inside after paint (paint was applied in multiple coats, check the gallery for more images, I beleive this was the penultimate coat and I don't have a final coat pic, but it could be a trick of the light);

Front outside after paint (again, gallery for other coats);

Once dried it came out as a slightly gloss coat, with a bit of a matt look, which I really like (and doesn't pick up many fingerprints, unlike the case side panels). There are a couple more pictures of various coat states in the gallery.

Finishing touches

Gallery link.

I found the red cold cathodes were kind of... pink. I wasn't going to stand for this, so I attacked them with red marker pen;

A finished cathode next to a clean cathode;

And a light colour comparison (for some reason this came out orange, which they don't look). The coloured one is the top one;
[img]http://www.techious.com/gallery/d/753-3/DSCF1030.JPG[img]

And then we have them both coloured in;

Quite a success, they give a nice deep red glow now. Might nead another layer at some point, but it's quite good as it is.

The DVD drive also needed preparing, so I took the front off (sorry for the quality of some of the following pictures, my photography "skills" lapsed quite badly);

I then took the bottom off and used a multimeter to determine the functionality of the front switch. The front switch consists of 4 contacts in a grey rectangle in the bottom right of this picture. Using the resistance setting on the multimeter and measuring between each of the contacts when the switch is and isn't pressed, I could determine which ones needed connecting to my new switch;

I then soldered on the new wires (this pic is terrible, I took loads of pictures of this bit and none of them came out particulary well. I'm not taking it apart again to take another picture, though, it's really hard to get in and out);

Once that was done I put the base back on and wired up the new switch when it was in place (was a screw switch, so no soldering needed). There are a couple more pics of various stages in the gallery.

Final pics

Just a few notes before we go onto the final pictures. I did not get any pictures of putting the front on because it was quite hard to get it on, and took a couple of attempts (including moving bolt holes on the case with a needle file).
  • 8 bolts hold the front on, and they are the oens around the edge, for flathead screwdrivers (the crosshead bolts I had were too short).
  • The top 2 bolts are spaced with bits of plastic tube and washers, the rest are spaced by the fans and mesh.
  • The middle bolts are just attached to the fans (and mesh).
  • The front (well, side) ports are held in with lots of double sided foam tape and parcel tape, and are a bit lose (don't really know what to do about that, might push some blutac in from behind to hold it in place better.
  • The DVD drive cover is held on with teh double sided foam tape. The switches on the right are for power (top) and DVD eject (bottom).
  • The sides do go on, but can get jammed because of the closeness of the front panel.
  • Some of the paint has been chipped, but this is mostly unotaceable and the finishing is overall pretty nice.
  • When the fans are on, you can see "through" them because they are spinning. This gives quite a cool (unintended) Window effect, which I quite like.
  • Overall, I am very happy with the results and I am far more pleased with this comp than any of my previous comps, dispite the teething problems.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this log, and feel free to give me your comments or ask questions! I may try some overclocking during the week, and post the results up, along with some benchmarks, but I don't garuntee anything.

ONTO THE PICS!

Gallery link.

Inside;

Outside;

As per usual, a few more pics can be found in the gallery.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:11 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

That is rediculously compact! That is amazing!

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:19 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
I was thinking, how IS he gonna fit it all in.

Even with 3 fans and stuff isn't it seriously hot?

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Thanks Aaron.

Kyhas: Everything fitted with great difficulty, as evidenced by the HDDs and CPU cooler. As for heat, it runs pretty cool. It still has more fans than your average 1-in, 1-out case, and these fans have more direct airflow than most cases (which means less turbulence and better airflow). I would imagine it has better cooling than a standard case, but slightly worse than an extreme case (such as Aarons) because of the cramped considitions around the CPU cooler (otherwise I would say it's on par or possibly even better).

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 am 

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Lugash
o.O
wow, very nice.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Just ramped up the FSB to 333Mhz (with x9 giving me 3GHz full clock) and set the RAM to 800Mhz 4-4-4-15 (as it should be). Didn't change any voltages, so it's probably running a bit low atm (RAM is rated for 2.1V and is at 1.9V), so I'll run a Prime95 test, also keep an eye on temps

Edit:

That was an instant failure with P95, so I reloaded the old CMOS (this mobo rules, 4 different backup CMOS) and am now trying 333MHz FSB with 1.27V VTT (from 1.21V, didn't work at that voltage). I'm leaving the RAM alone for now.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

OK, I've given up on OCing for now, just did a stress test on standard and more core temps ranged from 50-60C, so it might be an idea not to OC this one.

Oh, and for the lolz;
Huh?

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:27 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Copying data over a network by any chance skillers? That my friend is the result of IE7.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Actually, try to drag a file out of a .zip to the desktop.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:39 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Skillers wrote:
OK, I've given up on OCing for now, just did a stress test on standard and more core temps ranged from 50-60C, so it might be an idea not to OC this one.

Oh, and for the lolz;
Huh?

I already posted that pic on the forum :P

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I knew there was a thread for that, but I couldn't find it.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Oh, zips are a security threat, as of IE6, just IE7 is PARANOID

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

The point I'm making is it doesn't really make sense, saying move or copy then giving yes or no answer. The question (to me) sounds like it's asking me what I want to do, not whether I want to do it.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:02 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Looks bloody amazing mate... love the redness in it XD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:18 pm 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: BartmanTaz
Sweet, can't beat modding your own case. Was impressed with the work on the cd drive, how exactly did you figure out which ones to connect the switch too?

Voted for and funded by Scottie UK Ltd.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:53 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I got a multimeter out and tested each pair of pins on resistance mode with the button released and pressed. The 2 that went from infinite resistance when not pressed to zero resistance were the 2 I had to connect.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:34 am 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Where are these pictures at? :(

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Scottie wrote:
Where are these pictures at? :(

The images do not exist on this Techious server.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:22 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, seems I uploaded them to the TCHS gallery and they don't exist anymore.

:blamesi:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 am 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Shame, iirc you built a shuttle type pc with a full atx motherboard? What case did you buy, because I am having trouble trying to find a good case under £100 for a media centre pc while also having space for an atx motherboard.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next