It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: MediaTomb and PS3

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
OK, so here's the story...

I am using a Dell Optiplex SX280. It's a nice little system that work provided me with. It's got a Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPU and 512MB of DDR2 RAM and a 40GB SATA HDD. But that's beside the point - it's the software that I want to talk about.

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on to this machine as it has always worked brilliantly on other Dell Optiplex SX280's (yes I am sad enough to know this after installing it on many). I am installing Ubuntu 8.04 LTS because it is the easiest Linux distribution to use so far in my opinion, and also just the fact that it is Linux is very important.

What will this machine be used for?
The old family computer died from a BIOS virus, and me being my critical self have blamed this on Windows XP and the people that use the system... I am installing Linux on this new system to protect its users and their data. It would be heart breaking to lose many years of photo's - they currently date back to 2002.

What am I doing?
I am installing a media server on this machine. I have been told that the best media server to use is MediaTomb. MediaTomb is a DLNA/UPNP compatible media server, and this means that it is compatible with the Sony Playstation 3...
This is important because it is much nicer to view high resolution photo's on a high resolution 40 inch TV (1920x1080) rather than on this cruddy 15 inch 1024x768 monitor... My family agree from what I have demonstrated so far.

Problems begin...
Basically, I have ran in to a problem with the media server. It's very bitty. It's very troublesome and it still isn't making much sense.

I have installed the mediatomb-common and mediatomb-daemon packages. The mediatomb-common package should contain everything that I need to serve files. The mediatomb-daemon package means that the mediatomb service should start when the machine is powered on and it won't require any user intervention.

This obviously is not true.

After installing the packages and restarting the system, if I browse to file:///var/lib/mediatomb/mediatomb.html, it redirects to my fixed IP address http://192.168.0.2:49152/ but it refuses a connection.

This is odd, I think to myself...

I process a command in the terminal:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/mediatomb stop

And it tells me that mediatomb is already stopped!?

How strange.

Now, if I start mediatomb by running the following command:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/mediatomb start

It starts successfully, and I am able to browse to the webpage to configure it and also to browse the files! Excellent! The files are served to the PS3 also and it picks up JPG and PNG files perfectly!

The problems start when I want to listen to an MP3 file. If I try to listen to my brothers new hardcore CD mix, the PS3 tells me that the file may have been deleted from the server... Confused, I check it out. The files are still there; I can browse to them in the filesystem and play them in Rhythmbox no problem... So what's wrong? I try to download the files using MediaTomb's web interface, and it gives me a 404 error...

How strange...

OK, so MediaTomb doesn't start unless there is some user intervention, and even then it doesn't serve MP3's. But wait, it gets worse...

In order to serve the MP3's, you need to start mediatomb using the following command...

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/mediatomb

Now this is even worse. Basically, I am starting the mediatomb service as an actual application running in the foreground on this machine.

In this state it will actually work properly, it will serve MP3 files etc.

If I log off - the server stops. If I close the terminal - the server stops.

The problem is - this all needs to happen on startup, and even when following the instructions provided at the official site, it is not working. I am seeking some support and I am getting some timely responses, but SourceForge forums keep going down tonight...

If any of you have had any experience with MediaTomb, please help me!

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... _id=440751

Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:51 pm 
 Profile E-mail