It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Post subject: Re: Aarons Forums

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
That was hilarious. Bring it back!

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
It was like a chat room, but everyone just used each other's names to slander each other. In the end I got Aaron to implement IP checking to stop this (basically so you could compare the IPs or different posts).

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:25 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Yeah it was brilliant. The original yiyi.com website let users post in a type of guestbook, while retaining complete anonymity. Very much like 4chan's /b/, but without the paging, and without the deleting, and without the pictures. It was just a text based 'anonymous' slander-fest adventure. Very fun. I'll bring it back.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:14 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
woop all the way with anonymity, and its not only /b/ that has anonymity.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

No, just no. If you must bring it back, atleast have IP checking.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

The registration script works now...

At the moment, there is a lot of error checking, but no error messages ;)

This means that if you make a mistake, it doesn't throw back a cryptic error, it just goes back to the main screen without any indication as to why.

This will change soon, but it's not one of my priorities. Though I was confused as to why I wasn't able to register a user called "testy" and login as that user, then I remembered that I had already registered a user called "testy" with a different password earlier!

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Heh, surely it should be pretty easy/quick to make a screen that just says "FAIL"?

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:12 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I thought about what you said, and thought I should get 10 minutes work in to the thing...

And here is the result...

I try to register as "azcn2503"

... but "azcn2503" already exists

So I fill out the form for "azcn2503v2"

... and it works

So I try to log in as "azcn2503v2"

... and it works

It automatically picked up that I should be in the "users" group and this sets the permissions for the forum.

This is actually a changeable option. It is possible to set a user to automatically join in to a "pending" group that lets them view posts, but not make them, or even put them straight to "banned". This was pretty easy to set up and the option is changeable in the SQL database, and will become an administrative type feature available through my own custom control panel.

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Aww, you should have gone with "FAIL" ;)

Heh, phpBB3 does the thing with automatically assigning the user to the "registered users" group (upon email activation, I believe, there's also an unregistered group, but they have no function on here). It's certainly an effective system.

So hows it going for an actual posting system?

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Hmm, yes... about that.

The database is ready for it, it's just waiting for me to code up the interface.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Heh, OK. So what kind of posting system you going to have, anything special?

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:13 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yes, I am going to use something quite different but I can't give away too many details.

I modified the UGPM so that guest users can be assigned permissions through use of a group. It is possible to assign guest users to any group. Guest users are users that are not logged in to the website with a secure cookie set.

I have modified the information, error and success messages so that they appear in different colours for the moment. Error messages appear in red, information messages appear in yellow, and success messages appear in green. You'll see the information messages in the screenshot below. The code supports multiple messages from any page loaded previous to the message printer, so it's possible to load messages from a user variable collecting page, and also from the database functions page and put them all together. It's handy because it doesn't just let you know if there is an error in your code, but a contextual message at the point in your code that you specify... You know the code is at least reaching that point before halting without an error message, for example.

OK, so less of the crap and more of the screenshots.

Below you see a screenshot of a user that has just come to the website and is not logged in, therefore they are classed as a guest user, and the guest group permissions are loaded up from the database:

In the screenshot below, you can see the set of permissions that are loaded up when I log in under my username. I am an administrator and can do a lot of things:

And in the screenshot below, I am logged in as a test user. This test user is a member of the users group that normally cannot edit all posts, but a user-specific permission is put in place that allows this user to edit posts and this information is displayed on screen:

Of course, I had to modify the UGPM code...

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Secure Cookies in Action... Rejecting a User

Here we go...

I log in from Safari as myself:

Then I log in from another location, let's say (I'm just using Firefox as my other location):

I try to do something on Safari that invokes a page refresh, and...

Quite self explanatory, that message!

You're probably thinking... how annoying!? But what about when you sign on to a public computer and forget to untick the "remember me" box? By using the secure cookies system, an old log in will be invalidated by the new user hash and get logged out.

The same message appears if the hacking attempt fails (hence the "cookies may not be set correctly" part)

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Interesting. So does this mean you won't be able to have yourself set to always log in on 2 computers?

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:34 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

At the moment that is correct.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

That could be kinda annoying, though I guess the security is worth it.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:01 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yeah, I think you're right in both ways. It's annoying in some ways but the security is worth it... if I put security in to the users hands and let them disable secure cookies, they could leave a system logged on at a public locatiom and put the security of the whole website/forum at risk because the login will not fail if the user logs in elsewhere unlike in the example you see above.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Big query this morning...

Code:
SELECT forum_post.posteddatetime,forum_post.postid,forum_post.parentpostid,forum_post.authorid,user.userid,user.username FROM forum_post INNER JOIN user ON forum_post.authorid = user.userid WHERE forum_post.subcatid = '".$subcategoryField["subcatid"]."' ORDER BY forum_post.postid DESC LIMIT 1

Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

And what might that do? I'm guessing it's a major part of the forum structure kinda thing.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:51 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Just picking up a load of last-post information, like what the post number was, when it was posted, who posted it etc.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:44 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah, OK. For the thread list or thread browser?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

It's a possible inclusion for the forum index. It isn't a particularly special script, just one of the longest so far, but there are many more to come... probably that I won't make any fuss about.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yes!

I've just coded up 40 lines of PHP and tested it thoroughly, and it works perfectly. No errors at all! I'm really becoming a natural at this. The only thing it lacks is features, and that means more lines of code.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Awesome, what does the new code do?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:16 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Question, do you separate like repetitive code (like
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
   <meta name="Author" content="Author" />
   <meta name="Copyright" content="Copyright" />

<title>Page</title>

<link href="/images/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    </head>

<body>
) with echos or just do a ?> code <?php ?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next