It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: So..

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
My new job requires me to have a new computer, so I'll be getting a new computer. Just thought I'd post it here, since I've always posted that kind of thing here. However, not too fussed about posting pics and specs. Still not sure what I'll be getting, just know that I need to run a lot of VM's.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: So..

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Posting pics and specs is required.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Specs:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
AMD FX 8350 (4GHz 8-core) processor
Dell U2212HM 22in LED monitor
Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD
4x 8GB Patriot Black Mamba DDR3 1600MHz RAM
HIS Radeon 7790 Turbo 1GB graphics
Lian-Li PC-7HX case
Corsair CX 600W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD

Pics come later today. The parts should be delivered within the next hour.

That's it. Not my finest or highest spec build, but lots of RAM and cores so I can compile lots of code and run lots of VM's, and that's the most important thing for my job. Had to stick to a budget. This was about £1100 inc. VAT but I get to reclaim that tax (eventually).

You may have noticed I am a total Lian-Li addict. I think my previous 3 cases have been Lian-Li. Just can't beat that build quality. Also I needed something that would look good either on the desk or tucked away in a corner. It's not over-styled like so many high end cases these days.

Update: Was just thinking "damn, didn't get a 2.5 to 3.5 inch mount for the SSD" since the Samsung 840 doesn't come with one. Then noticed that the case has one internal 2.5 inch bay. Woo!

Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:10 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Out of interest, why did you go for the expensive 840 pro SSD, are they actually that much better than the non pro version.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

As far as I knew, in the Samsung range it was either the 830, or the 840 Pro. I wasn't aware of a 840 Basic or anything. The 840 Pro was really competitively priced compared to other products and was faster. I can't remember how much it was, I think £120. Update: £116. The 840 Pro is 550 read / 330 write, so it's a pretty decent drive.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:44 pm 
 Profile E-mail