It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Windows Vista Beta 1, The Connected Preview

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
[img:8cd9c3c23f]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/images/windows_vista_logo.jpg[/img:8cd9c3c23f]

This is just a quick preview of what i think of Windows Vista Beta 1, as newer builds come out (such as 5219, the PDC release) i will be posting more details.

For those who don't know Windows Vista (previously called Codename:Longhorn) is going to be the next Windows Operating System after WinXP. Inside M$ is is currently thought of as the next-gen OS because it has had a total overhaul.

OK, now to the preview, but before i start, sorry, no pics at the mo.

Min Spec:
1.6GHz Processor
512MB RAM (although M$ claim that you need 1GB to multitask)
6GB+ HDD

My Spec:
1.8GHz P4
256MB RAM (i know that its lower than the min spec, but they havent built checks into the install yet)
160GB HDD (i think i got the disc space covered)

Lets start, After the long and annoying 3 hour installation that kept appearing to crash, i started to use Vista and see what i thought of its new features. The first thing that i noticed during boot was that the boot screen still refered it to LH, probabily because the Vista name was only declared 3 days before release. But after that there were no problems with naming. So i logged onto its new secure logon (a mixture of ctrl+alt+delete screen and Welcome screen that actaully works over a domain). Then i got fiddling.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]The new start menu search[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
One of the first features that i noticed was that when i clicked on the start button, there was a little search box on the bottom, allowing the user search items in his/her start menu. This is probabily kind of a starting preview of the new features that are expected once WinFS (windows future storage) is finished and released as an update. I rate this function a nice 7/10 because although it is a good idea, more features within it would be useful.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Change to Windows Explorer windows[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
Another change that i found straight away was the change to the Windows Explorer windows; first of all, there was no title bar, and that they had changed the references to where you are on your hard drive/cd drive etc. The address bar now had [quote:8cd9c3c23f]Computer > Local Disc C: > Windows > System32 > etc.[/quote:8cd9c3c23f] instead of the classic C:WindowsSystem32 etc. that we are all used to. All of the arrows are clickable so that you can change the directory anywhere down the chain by just deceiding at what point do you want to change. The other change in windows explorer that i found was that instead of all the 'File and Folder Tasks' being on the left hand side of the window, it is now a toolbar of sorts, which i personally think is a better use of Windows Real Estate. Also, when you move/copy information, you can get more details on what the pc is doing, such as speed of copy, and amount of files left/in total and what space that takes up.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Resizable Icons in Folders[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
Now, another useful change is that in all folders including the Pictures one (no My at the start of folders), the little previews in Windows Explorer are resizable, making it easier for you to identify the picture/file that you are looking for.

[size=18:8cd9c3c23f][b:8cd9c3c23f]_______________________________________________________[/b:8cd9c3c23f][/size:8cd9c3c23f]

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Control Panel Redesign (yes again)[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
Yes, they have done it again, the control panel has been redesigned. But this time the new look actually looks good. They have replaced the category buttons on the control panel with a new categorisation system. This one has different categories, but underneath those categories there are the buttons that you normally only see in ?Classic View?, and they also have some other buttons as well, such as shortcuts to other options contained within the ones that you see. So, yes, a good change, and a good reason to stop using ?Classic View?.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]New Theme (called Aero)[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
OK, so it?s a new operating system so why doesn?t Microsoft give it a new theme, well they did! And its called Aero! It is a good theme that is like Luna (the XP default) except that it is all black and easier on the eyes, so that?s a good thing. They have also changed the Bliss image in this version to one that is a close up shot of some grass, again much easier on the eyes. Unfortunately for those who don?t like the sound of Aero, M$ have got rid of Luna in Vista so you cant use it in this operating system.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Metro Document Format[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
Microsoft are again trying to get rid of the competition, and this time they have set their sights on Adobe and their Acrobat PDF (personal document format). How are they going to do this? With Metro, M$s version of the PDF. This technology is based on the XML (extensible markup language) format, which has been used to store all kinds of information in the past, from RSS files, to Podcasts and much more. They have edited the language so that it can store high quality images in a small file size. The creation of these files are easy as it is a printer in your Printers and Faxes folder, but the problem with this technology is with the reading, they didn?t include a reader, so I cant tell you how good this technology is, but I should be able to soon!

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Internet Explorer 7[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
I had dreaded getting to this part, so I left it to the near last, Internet Explorer 7. God, it was awful. Except for the obvious M$ bugs and stability of the browser, the visual changes to it are just unbelievable, but not in a good way. First of all they had moved the address bar above the menu bar, oh yeah, you cant change it back! Basically with the look, it looks like a very tacky version of FireFox. Secondly, they have added the feature to read RSS files, but they have renamed the technology. Oh look, FF has that! Finally with it, probably the only good thing in IE7, is that the secure encryption has been increased from 128-bit to 256-bit, which is probably the only good thing, but anyway all browsers will have that soon. So for me, im sticking to FireFox.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Compatibility and Stability[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
Overall, Vista has very good stability, thinking about it, it could be classed as more stable than XP at times. The compatibility with other hardware isn?t that good at the moment. Firstly speaking, I had to take the hard way round to get my sound card working, and my graphics tablet goes ballistic when it is connected to the Vista, well except for that its compatibility is very good.

[u:8cd9c3c23f]Overall[/u:8cd9c3c23f]
Well, as you can see from what I?ve written, I do quite like Vista and I will try and stay with it through its betas to see the features progress, and new ones to be made. If you take my advice, you don?t want Vista at the moment unless you definetly know what your getting into, and when it does release, deceide carefully which of the 7 versions to be released you want (the ultimate release will have EVERYTHING, extra tablet features, extra media features, extra networking features, etc.) But for me, I?m gonna use Vista, as I keep finding new features all the time!

[b:8cd9c3c23f]Oh yeah, and by the way, this is my own work, no copying here :D [/b:8cd9c3c23f]

[b:8cd9c3c23f]Enjoy! 2005, a Connected Preview[/b:8cd9c3c23f]

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:46 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Crikey, those specs are high! Higher than Half Life 2 and BattleField 2, IIRC. Also, I remember you said something about graphics cards aswell, doesn't it require Directx 9 cards (GForce 5 series and above/Radeon 9 series and above)? Anyway, I have a computer that would just miss out on those specs, 1.4GHz Athlon etc, and that runs HL2 smoothly. Also, my current PC only just gets in - 1.8GHz Athlon 64 (though hopefully that will change soon).

Thanks for the info, Connected. BTW, I think when you said "Windows Retail Space" you meant "Windows Real Estate" as that is what the common term is.

Oh, and I know it's your work.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:36 am 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

[quote:75400b39ad="Grim Reaper"]Crikey, those specs are high! Higher than Half Life 2 and BattleField 2, IIRC. Also, I remember you said something about graphics cards aswell, doesn't it require Directx 9 cards (GForce 5 series and above/Radeon 9 series and above)? Anyway, I have a computer that would just miss out on those specs, 1.4GHz Athlon etc, and that runs HL2 smoothly. Also, my current PC only just gets in - 1.8GHz Athlon 64 (though hopefully that will change soon).

Thanks for the info, Connected. BTW, I think when you said "Windows Retail Space" you meant "Windows Real Estate" as that is what the common term is.

Oh, and I know it's your work.[/quote:75400b39ad]

Your 1.4GHz will prob run it, as there are currently no checks to make sure that a use meets the min spec

Oh yeah, thanks for telling me about my mistake

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Updated/Finished: 15th Sep 05

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I added a line where the updated bit started, to make it clearer.

As for the 1.4GHz thing, it would probably run, but when they enable the checks it won't be allowed.

Anyway, thanks for all the info on Vista. I'm not surprised about the IE thing, they are getting worried about FireFox, and by imitating it they think they can stop the threat, which is wrong.

As for the stability, they haven't taken the shotgun to it yet!

I think you deserve a reward for all the work in this point - 15VDs to you.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:14 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

thank you GR, well i will be posting a shorter version soon for the PDC (program developers conference) version that should have some screenshots.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:58 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Cool. Make sure you screenshot some of the features you mentioned above.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:07 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

ok, it will be harder to take some of install though, unless i install within windows

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:13 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

What about using a digicam? Or using the video out for the monitor on the install machine, and video in of another machine.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:31 pm 

Post Post subject: Preview Finished With Screenshots!

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Preview Finished - 17 Sep 05

Now with screenshots @ [url]http://connectedbeta.atspace.com[/url]

Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:51 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Wow, it does look good, but I have spotted something. Is it me or are the graphics leaning towards the style of Linux and (possibly, i doon't use it) Mac. They just have a completely different feel to them, ad I'm sure that feel is like Linux.

Oh, and IE7 introduced tabbed browsing.

Thanks, GR

P.S. Can I put that as an article on this site? Or as an external link under software (so it loads up like it was from this site, just linking to that site)?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:07 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

yeah, you can use it on the site GR

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:13 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Thanks, copied or linked?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:45 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

either, its up to you, keep in mind that all the s/shots total 1MB

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:47 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Oooh no, 1 MB! Sorry, can't help with the sarcasm.

Yeah thanks, I will add it as a article soon.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:48 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well, i know that its bigger (IIRC) than the entire site at the moment

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yes, and you should also know that I can easily host them, then, as you hosted with atspace too, which has 50MB storage!

We should stop this know.

BTW, I will add the site's colour scheme to it.

Edit: what about the Linux thing, too (see one of above posts)?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:52 pm 

Post Post subject:

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

hmm im about to try out the vista beta for myself ^^ good ol bittorrent :)

Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Isn't that sort of illegal? I tink you can get it free and legally by applying to be a BETA tester.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:06 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

just replying to this last comment,
vista is currently only avaliable to those with a msdn subscription that costs around ?1k per year.
it will become free to all users around march 06 time when it reaches the beta 2 phase, until then there will be many mini internal and ctp releases

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:12 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah right, OK. So that subscription allows you to download BETAs of all MS products (well, ones they select)?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:21 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

depends on which subscription you get, and includes a free version of visual studio

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Considering VS costs 5K seperate (IIRC), that's a good deal.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:24 pm