It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please mark which server you are referring to in the topic using [TF2] or [CSS].

Like or hate?
Like 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Don't mind 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Hate 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post Post subject: Uber chains - Like or hate.

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Do you like or hate uber chains/chain ubers/ uber trains?

Vote here in the poll as suggested by schlurbi.

If this descends into a flame fest I will not be happy.

EDIT:

A video demonstrating the uber chain.

Watch this video on Youtube.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Uber chains - Like or hate.

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Bombaynoodle
I have no idea what "uber chains" are? O.O lol

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

First post updated.

Basically it is two medics with uber saws. One ubers the other, who then attempts to build up an uber by attacking the enemy with his uber saw whilst ubered. He then turns round and ubers his team mate who then attempts the same.

They are not common due to being notoriously hard to pull off. It's awesome when it works, but apparently it causes rage and it was suggested to me by schlurbi that I post a poll. So I have.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
It's part of the game so is more than ok with me. I think it takes a lot of skill to pull it off!

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:46 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Ludicrous Poster
Ludicrous Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: vantomboy
Wynney wrote:
I think it takes a lot of skill to pull it off!

no it doesnt. one medic just charges, and ubers another medic, he just ruches and hits 4 times with his ubersaw. and then they change. its easy, and annoying, and making people rage, because mostly you cant do a thing against it.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:11 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

I am a Doctor Medic and I don't like it, although it takes skill, its very overpowered.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:12 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

you have to get 4 hits. which is difficult is the opponent is half good.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

Medic is the second fastest class in the game.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Steam Login Name: Bombaynoodle
Ty Met, Hmm looks pretty hard to pull off so I have no objections :D to avoid it surely you can just run away for a short period of time lol

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Right. This is my territory here.

Knockback. A lot of things have some serious knock that can keep an uber from advancing very far. This includes:
The Scout's Force-A-Nature gun which in one shot will send the advancing Medic back a fair distance. The Scout is also fast and can easily outrun the Medic running backwards so won't get hurt. With a couple of shots, he can keep the uber chain away from his team and the chain will run out and you then have 2 Medics to kill... plain easy as except for another Medic, ANY class can kill a Medic with ease.
The Pyro's airblast. This notorious device stops even normal ubers from doing anything useful, and the same goes for the uber-chain. Simply knock the Medics high in the sky and wait for the charge to run out then burn the Medics to the ground.
Explosives. Demomen can easily knock a Medic sky-high by laying 1-2 sticky bombs then waiting for the Medic to charge him and blow the Medic out of range = 1 Medic fully ubered retreating and 1 Medic unubered falling back to earth do either die of height or die from the Demoman placing a sticky underneath him and waiting to detonate it to finish the Medic off. Soldiers rockets are also effective at knocking the Medics about enough to disrupt their charge and allow the team to escape.
Sentry guns also have a huge knockback effect that will send all classes that approach them back a huge distance. Ubers often focus only on the sentries as the sentry can always push them back. An uber chain will have difficulty dealing with enemies if they are constantly being shoved back by a sentry.

Now consider the uber as an unstoppable force... how do you stop the unstoppable force? With ANOTHER unstoppable force. If the enemy is using the uber chain, use one back at them and block them from moving towards your team and charging up. Not only is it funny, it also ensures they don't annihalate your team.

Think also of the uber chain as a train... what do all trains need? FUEL! The train gains fuel from people by hitting them with ubersaws. Take away people, no more fuel, no more ubers coming. Wait for their ubers to wear off then charge them.

The only class that is unable at this moment to flee an uber-chain is the Heavy (Engineers may run the same speed but I highly doubt an Engineer would not be running around outside a sentry location, if so he deserves to die). Here is a tip: run backwards and watch the Medics carefully. When the Medic swings his saw at you, JUMP! The knockback from a melee hit sends you quite a distance (espicially if it crits you). Using this tactic, you may be able to be knocked to the safety of one of the counters or back enough to retreat into spawn before you die.

It is difficult to pull off, but a funny tactic that is used very rarely. It is part of the game and Valve knew of its existence but haven't tweaked it. Instead, they threw in tons of counters to it to make it less dominating than people assume. It is fine as it is. Just don't stick around for the fight and you'll be fine.

Shadow

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Bah, whatever, I don't really care about them. They're fairly powerful, but hard to pull off and more annoying than anything. Easy to counter, too, with nearly every class in the game.

I think it can be funny, but if someone asks you to stop (it is incredibly annoying), you probably should.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 pm 

Well said, Shadow. The knockback from level 3 sentries also holds off the uberchain, it separates the medics (they can't advance on the sentry easily, even if the sentry is only targeting one of the medics, the other one cannot advance or he will risk losing his uber).

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:46 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I don't think the FAN affects ubers, but I don't know.

The stun will work too, though.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:49 pm 

Ludicrous Poster
Ludicrous Poster

Steam Login Name: vantomboy
- The medic can still use the ubersaw gets stunned, airblasted, fann'd or stickied away. The medic is not like instadead by enemy attacks, and he is even buffed.

-not many people use the normal flametrower

- not many people have the FAN

- Scout and Pyro still have to go close to the medics and they are easy to attack

- its unfair against the other team, its even unfair for the own team, because both medics are almost always stuck together.

- Medics dont go near sentries, so they wont get knockbacked

- what would you do when you see 2 medics charged running towards you? you wont have much good ideas.

- It makes people rage, seen yesterday with DHR, but more people rage aswell. just without saying anything.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Steam Login Name: gozzer25
Good players will easily evade/stop the medics.

Bad players will more than likely be uber juice.

Fini.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:07 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Steam Login Name: De4dCh1ck3n
Its a waste of 2 medics for a team disincouriging the team support class. on a team of 4 like we had earlier met and hawke where ubertraining and they wasnt healing rest of team... didnt really work

20:28 - [TCHS] Nannal DVORAK!: Down with met, nannal for mod!

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

+1

It is true that it's not really constructive to Team Fortress in a small game. In a bigger game, it's probably less noticeable.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:42 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
schlurbi wrote:
The medic can still use the ubersaw gets stunned, airblasted, fann'd or stickied away. The medic is not like instadead by enemy attacks, and he is even buffed.

As far as Valve made the stun ball, it stuns even ubered enemies.

schlurbi wrote:
not many people use the normal flametrower

That is their choice to sacrifice the airblast for crits from behind. I personally see more normal flamethrowers on the servers I play on and rarely encounter the backburner at all.

schlurbi wrote:
not many people have the FAN

That is not true. People sometimes prefer the Scattergun more as it is a better weapon to fight with.

schlurbi wrote:
Scout and Pyro still have to go close to the medics and they are easy to attack

Scout can easily run from Medics. And the knockback is strong at mid range, sufficient to knock the Medics back. Close range, it is even more powerful and still able to stay out of melee range which is point blank.
As for Pyros, they can still stay out of melee range and use the airblast to knock the Medics back.

schlurbi wrote:
its unfair against the other team, its even unfair for the own team, because both medics are almost always stuck together.

And the rest of the enemy team don't have a Medic = easy kills if you have your medic on your side. And if the Medics stick together, they are liable to fall to a crit rocket or sticky bomb when they aren't ubered. It isn't unfair, it puts the team out of 2 constantly healing Medics.

schlurbi wrote:
Medics dont go near sentries, so they wont get knockbacked

Medics get knocked back if they go into a sentry's range, same as every class in the game.

schlurbi wrote:
what would you do when you see 2 medics charged running towards you? you wont have much good ideas

I would run, rather than stand and fuel the train. Obviously I'm not going to try and take out an unstoppable force am I?

schlurbi wrote:
It makes people rage, seen yesterday with DHR, but more people rage aswell. just without saying anything

Would you go on a server and not say anything if you had a problem? No, you would voice it out. DHR has an unfortunate reputation of being the rager of Techious so he will rage at the slightest thing wrong... such as me taking him out as Heavy even though he had 2 medics tied to him.

Overall, your arguements are solved here.

Skillers wrote:
+1

It is true that it's not really constructive to Team Fortress in a small game. In a bigger game, it's probably less noticeable.

It is a team tactic. It requires teamwork to pull off. It is 2 Medics, not one. In a bigger game it is hilarious, everyone really loves the train and laugh at it.

De4dCh1ck3n wrote:
Its a waste of 2 medics for a team disincouriging the team support class. on a team of 4 like we had earlier met and hawke where ubertraining and they wasnt healing rest of team... didnt really work

It wiped out their Medic and Heavy, that worked. It doesn't disencourage them, more so it encourages more Medics to try it out as Medics very rarely see any proper action as they are often demanded to constantly heal minor injuries by teammates with 143% health.

Gozzer wrote:
Good players will easily evade/stop the medics.

Bad players will more than likely be uber juice.

Fini.

Exactly Gozzer, have some love *insert love here*

Overall.... the trains are fine. Just think of an ubertrain as a normal train from well that is constantly coming after you. You wouldn't stand in the way of the train, so why stand in the way of an ubertrain?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

The way I see it, it was all for fun anyway. Not serious. All but one class can flee it if they try hard enough. What shadow said, don't stand in front of a train. When I've been confronted with a chain-uber, I run for it. It works.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

Metritutus wrote:
don't stand in front of a train.

On that note, ubers + Trains, what happens?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

a train doesnt need to be ubered to be effective nannal!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:33 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

I was talking about the choo-choo trains not the OH ZE PAIN trainz

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:03 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

The choo choo trains push the ubers back.

If you get a bunch of ubers infront of the train I think it slows the train down.

If you put an uber from blue team and a dispenser from red team on the tracks, the train will be stopped pushing against the uber as the uber can't get past the dispenser.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:14 am 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
The only reason I didn't like it is because I know TF2 is broken at 4v4 anyway (lots of 360 hours at that team limit), and using the Uberchain makes it even more broken with so few players.

Yeah, in a large match maybe it's not a problem, but in smaller games it really does pose a problem. Skill base is a lot smaller in a small game, therefore there might not be anyone who is any good at any particular class suited to stop an Uberchain. You cant really win, because if you don't attack they get an uber, and if you do attack they get an uber faster :/

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Skill base? How do you mean?

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail