It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please mark which server you are referring to in the topic using [TF2] or [CSS].

Like or hate?
Like 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Don't mind 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Hate 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post Post subject: Re: Uber chains - Like or hate.

Samosa!
Samosa!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The chances of having disproportional skill levels upon one team

(image trying to get a mean skill level, skill level of p1 + skill level of p2 ... / number of players, Do that for every player and we have the average skill level of tf2, now in a game of 2 vs 2, doing the same very very very rarely produce the same number )

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: gozzer25

Watch this video on Youtube.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
That is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. The result is hilarious.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Well the force is not unstoppable, because it stopped. And the object is not immovable, just temporarily immovable. I could also rant about how nothing could possibly be immovable (space an all that), and the concept of unstoppability is nonesence (just apply a bigger force!)

Now if only this would come up in my exam :P

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:12 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Skillers wrote:
Well the force is not unstoppable, because it stopped. And the object is not immovable, just temporarily immovable. I could also rant about how nothing could possibly be immovable (space an all that), and the concept of unstoppability is nonesence (just apply a bigger force!)

Now if only this would come up in my exam :P

This is a time of TF2. The existance of a portable cloaking device, a gun that has precise accuracy and can be repaired/upgraded by hitting it with a wrench and a healing gun that emits radiation that heals people whilst targeting only them and can bend around/through walls as well as make weapons more powerful or put an inpenetrable shield around both the user and patient basically says this in not meant to be realistic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My first point about the incorrectness of the statement still stands. And my second point was aimed at the statement, not TF2 ;)

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Skillers wrote:
My first point about the incorrectness of the statement still stands. And my second point was aimed at the statement, not TF2 ;)

Of course, but you picking flaws out of TF2 is pointless since it is clearly not meant to be realistic... unless it it the future where everybody has had plastic surgery on every single part of their body and wears plastic clothes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah, but I wasn't, I was pointing the flaws in your statement :P

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Skillers wrote:
Ah, but I wasn't, I was pointing the flaws in your statement :P

In the game, the train is an unstoppable force. The uber makes the person an immovable object with an enemy dispenser behind him.
In "life", this statement is flawed. In TF2, it is true.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Metritutus wrote:
Skill base? How do you mean?

As well as what Nannal said, the fact that in 4 players you are quite likely to have people who are excellent at 4 classes that do not include a player who is good at a class that can stop an uberchain. With a larger team, the chances of being able to stop them are much higher, because there are more players and therefore more tactical options in regards to offence. In Small teams you always tend to play the class you are best at, because there isn't anyone to take up the slack like in a big game.

It doesnt matter if you die a lot in a big game, someone else is probably going to be able to take the hits and slow down the foe, in a small game staying alive is critical because if the opposing team get a break they can run away with the game.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Steam Login Name: De4dCh1ck3n
he speeks truth, listen :D

20:28 - [TCHS] Nannal DVORAK!: Down with met, nannal for mod!

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!

Steam Login Name: Lugash
i dont mind the chain. one well placed shot before they can uber is enough to stop it.

also: to explain what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object i reference the episode of 24 where jack bauer punched himself in the face. He felt a little dizy.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

Thanks gozzer, I learned all I needed to.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Well I would have said that in smaller games an uber chain would be much harder to pull off due to there being less players in range to 'fuel' the train, hence emphasising the pointlessness in doing it in a small game due to the enemy team being more likely to win (however I did think that this was all supposed to be for fun rather than seriousness, hence pointlessness should not really factor into it).

The players there with any common sense would flee (admittedly you were unable to do so when playing as a heavy). The tactics for dealing with an uber-train are still valid regardless of the number of players.

Ah well.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:24 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

DHR-107 wrote:
Metritutus wrote:
Skill base? How do you mean?

As well as what Nannal said, the fact that in 4 players you are quite likely to have people who are excellent at 4 classes that do not include a player who is good at a class that can stop an uberchain. With a larger team, the chances of being able to stop them are much higher, because there are more players and therefore more tactical options in regards to offence. In Small teams you always tend to play the class you are best at, because there isn't anyone to take up the slack like in a big game.

It doesnt matter if you die a lot in a big game, someone else is probably going to be able to take the hits and slow down the foe, in a small game staying alive is critical because if the opposing team get a break they can run away with the game.

Well if you had someone as Pyro, you would have easily stopped us. The same ratio: 2 people stopping 4 from winning, here is 1 person stopping 2 people from winning. It isn't our fault you didn't have at least 1 class with anti-uber capabilities. Even in fun games you usually have one knocking around as an anti-Spy class as Metritutus is well known for his Spying tendencies.
In the end, this arguement has gone as far as it will go. Some people are completely bent against it and unwilling to change their mind. Some will listen and consider before taking their opinion. Some like myself find the train rather amusing and say it should be kept. It is all a difference of opinion again and this will just continue to have people sparking point after point at each other.
Overall, listen to Gozzer and run.
"May I make a suggestion?..... RUN!" -Spy
"If you know what's good for you, you will run." -Soldier

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I say next time we have a match we all go medic :P

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 pm 

Sounds like a plan.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

There can only be one left standing. Arena Medic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

You don't seem to understand my arguement...

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

DHR-107 wrote:
You don't seem to understand my arguement...

I thought we all gave up on the argument.

I smell an all-medic Community Friday for laughs.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:28 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

That's hardly fair to people who don't have Ubersaws ~_~

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

Ubersaw is lame though, +25% faster sawing ftw

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:33 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

It can't hit through an uber though :/

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Nannal wrote:
Ubersaw is lame though, +25% faster sawing ftw

No, -20% faster sawing. +25% uber per successful hit (according to the unofficial tf2 wiki).

Apparently you also only need 20 achievements to gain it. Admittedly the medic ones are quite tough, but then again that is all part of the challenge.

Source: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/%C3%9Cbersaw

And I personally rate the scout ones as being harder to acquire.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

He meant the bonesaw is faster at Sawing, he just got the number wrong xD

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 am 
 Profile E-mail