It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please mark which server you are referring to in the topic using [TF2] or [CSS].

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Awp, is it good
Poll ended at Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:31 pm
Ban the Awp completely 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Restrict to 1 per team 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
Keep the awp 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
A differnt answer (please say) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post Post subject: [CSS] AWP or no AWP?

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: De4dCh1ck3n
I was just curios about who actually like the awp. I dont care what you put but i know it bores the hell out of me!

20:28 - [TCHS] Nannal DVORAK!: Down with met, nannal for mod!

Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: AWP or no AWP?

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: gozzer25
An awp is a powerful and expensive weapon that changes a game completely. Its part of the game, always has been and always will be. Its all about using different tactics to get around it.

If you flank them whilst they are distracted, i'd say your guaranteed a kill.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Steam Login Name: sparksftw
No AWP in 3v3 or lower; restrict to one per team.

I also suggest that only people who regularly use it or use it occasionally can vote, as only they will actually know how NOT overpowered it is.

Alternatively, you could always just ask the awper to drop it, if you ask nicely, they will.

Also; Half the kills from awpers come from their pistols in close range, smoking an awper then flashing him works very well, jumping and erratic movement prevents most awpers from landing a hit on you. My usual AWP kills come from people running INTO my crosshairs, rather than going around me and shooting me in the back, an awper can only cover one position, if you go around him, you are nearly guaranteed a kill.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

lol but you said, restrict but still ya voted keep. And anybody can vote its fare that way, You have veiws of being and awper, Killing people in a lame 1 hit way, But others actually find it really stupid to die in 1 bullet from a green beast. Gozzer i see what you say but thats what used to be good. When they had the price thingy so guns costed more, now its to cheap for what it does. Other servers ban them.

Ok so now youre going to tell me to join one of them servers, braught it on myself i know but shush...

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

I voted for keep, but tried to reach a compromise, of course it's obvious you won't take anything less then them banned.

But most people who vote will realize eventually, they die more from headshots from M4's and AK's rather than AWP's

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:46 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
i have no problem with the awp being used (skill gun i think) but due to fun server having 16000 cash ive voted 1/team so not everyone uses it =] mmmmkay?

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
I personally dislike it on fun server for the money no object reasons.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:24 pm 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Most people Get ak'd and m4'd in the face because there the most common gunss. You cant compare it. Now if you was to say, most people get scouted in the face i may of agreed, but ak'd. And restricting it is ok, but when a server has only 10 people, thats practically full, 1 awper changes the whol game. If the server had 30 people on most of the time, then restricting wouldnt be that much of a bad idea.

I suppose people will just have to get awped in the foot and die some more...

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Keep the AWP. It is NOT a one-shot-kill weapon. I've shot bots several times and never killed them with just one shot (mostly I do 90 damage max). It also requires skill to fire it as you have to stay still and crouch to make your shot accurate.
You are vunerable when you have it as if you are scoped, you can get killed by someone sneaking up on you. You can turn and may get a lucky shot on them but they will have no doubt pumped you so full of lead that they could sharpen your head and call you a pencil before you can get another shot at them (AWP is slow, as is changing to a pistol).
It is very expensive as well so it is a gamble for people- it can make them or break them... depending on the skill of the person.
I agree with other people though, if there is money being added to you continuously (cough Azrelius cough) then you should ban it, otherwise keep it in play as it is part of the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

depends what pistol you have, and with the scout you have to be crouched and zoomed, to be accurate, there for also making your self voulnerable.

But we are sort of talking about the fun server, with unlimited cash so either awp becomes a little more expensive (can you even do that) or its resticted/banned

An idea

Is it anyway possible (seen it on tf2 servers for classes) to restrict the awp to 0 per team for aslong as theres under 7 (1,2,3,4,5,6) people on the server, and then have it restricted to 1 per team for under 11 and then 2 per team for fullish servers.

Just a thaught to keep all happy :)

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
you could turn on dynamic pricing, but with 16000 there is little point, unless ofc that person dies then he is struggling for money. but some admins just give cash so much there would be little point enabling it.

i personally think fun server starting cash should be lowered to around 6000, this is more than enough :)

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:05 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Dominating
Dominating
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: normandorp
take scout, more skill and less annoying

Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Strider wrote:

As equally annoying, some could argue it takes less skill, atleast with the awp you dont have someone who can outrun a bullet.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: pankowski
personally i think the awp is bad in small matches such as 3 v 3s, however when theres more i think its ok but only restricted to 1 per team, (even though u can still cheat the system to getting more)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:24 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!

Steam Login Name: Lugash
increasing the price would be a good idea imo.
make them struggle the round after dieing as penance for there annoyance :)

scout ftw anyhow..

Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: [CSS] AWP or no AWP?

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Well, i think with the 5k startmoney, the AWP problem is not as prominent(i use problem LOOSELY, as most people whine about it due to being unable to dodge).

I say limiting it to 2 per team would be pretty good, while still letting people practice with it, and limiting the amount of people using it to a manageable number.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: djenkins2840
Limiting honestly causes arguments about who should be using it and stuff like that.

No limit makes it invredably unfair if one team has 10 awpers..

I think for the general use of a "fun" server it becomes to annoying to alot of people and sucks the fun out of the game quite alot.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Never really had fun on CSS.... never occured to me that it was a FUN game, more of a SERIOUS down-to-earth skill game.
If people wish to use and practise with it, let them. It requires more skill than the scout so people can't complain about it being overpowered... if you move just a bit before you shoot, you will miss. The scout will shoot straight. The AWP is also slow and very very loud. A skilled player would hear you immediately and follow the sounds of your shots to find you, flank you and kill you whilst you are zoomed and oblivious to everything around you.
The weapons is part of the game. Taking it away because you don't want to be killed by it is like taking away a Sniper's rifle charge in TF2 because you don't want to be killed immediately. If you hear an AWP, simply stay away from it. If you look back through fps history, I think that you will notice that sniper rifles are very powerful and take most of your health away in one shot which is what the AWP does (it hardly ever 1 shot kills unless it is in the head).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:41 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Kind of like in Battlefield 2 really, a shot to the body will take 95% of your health.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:59 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
AWP will kill you all the time unless you have armour and they hit you in the foot or similar extremity, or they hit you through wood, a body shot is always lethal.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 am 

Dominating
Dominating

Steam Login Name: normandorp
Ogris wrote:
Strider wrote:

As equally annoying, some could argue it takes less skill, atleast with the awp you dont have someone who can outrun a bullet.

yeh but atleast with scout u dont die in 1 hit unless its hs and u run faster,

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: wigouche
speed only makes a diff when runing away and most switch to pistols or knife when thy do tht neway lol

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Steam Login Name: djenkins2840
Not to mention the scout is only accurate when your crouching so if your not its mostly luck shots..

I wouldnt mind awp so much if it wasnt perfectly accurate when standing up..

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:53 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
AWPs need to be re-banned from our server... It makes the game a million times less fun to play when you get shot in barrel of your gun because its poking around a corner and you die...

I'm fully aware that many people are going "It's a pro weapon, you only moan because you can't use it"

I know I can't use it. I don't want to use it. It shouldn't be on our server because it sucks all the fun out of it. Yesterday was the same, about 5 people on each team had awps, it got pretty stupid... Being able to shoot through walls is also pretty damned stupid.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Righto, looks like the AWP-ban discussion is back ><
Before this turns into a flame-fest lets just review the facts gentlemen... this is a discussion, not an invite for flaming, if something I said was wrong, tell me calmly without openly insulting me...

Admittedly the AWP can kill in one shot, but only if it hits the chest or head. If it hits any other part of your body, it will do a huge amount of damage, usually 60-90 and no more.
However, the AWP isn't as overpowered as you think... it is a SNIPER RIFLE... meaning it is only good at LONG RANGE COMBAT. If you get in close to the AWPer, his distance advantage is gone and he will panic upon being fired at at close range. When being shot, the aim of the AWP goes completely off meaning most of the shots he can make will completely miss and upon firing he is completely vulnerable as it takes time for him to reload or switch to the pistol, an easy target for anybody who knows how to use any gun.. which I assume you can otherwise you wouldn't be playing CSS ;)

AWP takes no skill? Think about it... it's a sniper rifle, if you find you're getting picked off at long range, the AWPer is doing what an AWPer would do and stay away from you and picking yo off where he has the advantage. It takes skill to be able to aim at you just as it takes skill to aim at you with the Scout.
It doesn't take skill to shoot someone running in a straight line or someone who runs into the crosshairs. Admittedly I'm not a good AWPer but even I can pick off someone who makes themself an easy target for me, the worst thing you can do is stand still. If you hate getting hit by an AWP, move around a lot to make yourself a more difficult target to hit. Unless the AWPer is particularly skilled, he will have difficulty hitting you. Alternatively, you can avoid spots where an AWPer could be- don't rush mid on Dust2 and complain when an AWP bangs you down.
But... here's where the AWP is more difficult to use: it is inaccurate. If you move even the slightest bit, your shot will completely miss. Scout is inaccurate as well but if you crouch the scout is 100% accurate. AWP still retains some inaccuracy should you be crouched making it harder to use and require more skill.

It's a noob's gun. Tell that to a professional CSS player and he will laugh at you. It is not a noob weapon, nor is any other weapon in the game if you can use it properly. It is not a one-shot-killing-cannon unless you are skilled to use it. I personally have shot people (particularly Schlurbi) and not killed him in one shot- it took me 2 shots to kill him which immediately crushes the arguement that it is one-shot-kill-weapon. Watch some frag videos from people in World Tournaments (ask Wynney, he has loads) and see what they do. When you can do what they do, then tell me that it takes no skill. I think you'll realise that they are not camping like little noobs but are out and about killing and being aggressive. You try that and see how much you fail at it and realise and admire how much skill the AWP really takes to use.

It's overpowered. Why? Because it does a huge amount of damage in one shot? Guess what... so does every other gun if you can use it right. An AK47 is capable of taking someone out in one shot as well and no, not everyone can do that as they don't have skill at doing so.
Admitedly, some maps do give AWPs too much capablity to kill you, compound being a prime example, and AWPs should probably be restricted to 1-2 per team but that doesn't mean you should be any less vigilant on the map. An AK-47 or Scout still have the killing potential on the map and still kill you in one shot.
Also realise the slow movement of the weapon. Combined with the slowing effect of the shots hitting him means if an AWPer misses, he is dead as he can't get behind cover before an M4a1 takes him out. The AWPer must rely on getting the hit first time to kill whereas the Scout can still pop back into cover without taking a hit, making it easier than the AWP to use.

Let's discuss ways to counter an AWPer...

Flashing. This will do it every time. If you flash an AWPer, he will be completely blind for 2 seconds and be groggy for 1 seconds. 3 seconds gentlemen. Isn't that enouh for you to get close enough to him or move past his sniping spot? No? Well you have 2 flash-bangs. Use the second for more time to get to his position then wipe him out.
Smoking. Not an effective means of countering but can give AWPers trouble seeing you if you know what you are doing. Pros though do have means of seeing through smoke (no, not hax) so this won't work against them.
Sound. An AWP is probably the loudest weapon in the game (for a single shot). If you hear one, you know where it is looking and you know it is there. Use your common sense and avoid that area.
Logic. Dust2. Middle of the map. Home to the AWPers. If you don't like getting shot, use your common sense and assume there is an AWP there and avoid it. Guess where an AWPer might be and just find a way past him using above means.
Counter-sniping. Use an AWP back at him. The only weapon that can fight back at an AWP well is another AWP. Simply use one back at him and appreciate how difficult the weapon can be to use.
Flanking. Use your team to distract the AWPer and come up behind him or at his sides. AWPers mostly have low sensitivity so if they are attacked at their side, they won't be able to turn around in time to stop you sending them to AWP heaven. If they still kill you, they are probably good or you're bad for not killing them when you had the upperhand.

Please note that really good AWPers like Ogris and Wynney are good at AWPing so you'd best follow the advice of simply AVOIDING their firing range and attack them when you are really close or they are looking the other way.

Another related note: shooting through walls. CSS tries to be as realistic as possible: the terrorists are ugly, the guns have kickback and recoil, the sound of your guns can be heard but above all, some weapons have the power to shoot through walls. OK gentlemen, grab a gun and shoot at a wall and see whether it will shoot through it. What's that? It did? Well then it will happen in CSS. Some guns don't have the power to shoot through the wall if they are too weak, the glock and USP being prime examples, unless the walls were door-thickness. Thick walls can only be penetrated by the most powerful guns in the game- the AK-47, the M4a1 and the AWP (with a few others probably). If you do get shot in the wall, the damage is greatly reduced so it isn't as devastating. Don't worry too much but then realise that your enemy knows you are there and just MOVE!

Death by your gun being shot? What can I say? Your gun and you share a life-bond, if your gun gets shot, so do you. It is probably something to do with the hitbox including your gun. I remember me and my bro playing James Bond: Agent under Fire and he would snipe my gun, killing me. The hitbox is just wrong, ignore it.

On a related note: sniper rifles have always been really powerful weapons but they are really difficult to use. It is much easier to pick up another rifle and use that to kill than it does with an AWP.

My opinion: don't ban it but do restrict it on certain maps like compund because I admit that it has too much killing potential on that map. On close quarter maps, anyone using an AWP will need to be skilled to kill the people wielding shotguns and rifles.

Discuss as you wish but please: no flaming or insults at each other. This is a friendly discussion :)

I remain your most obediant servant.
Hawke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:28 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next