It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Dune 2 - The first ever RTS!

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Dune 2 was he first ever Real Time Strategy (bar some obscure game that no-one's heard of). It was made by Westwood, the people behind Command and Conquer. It had great gameplay, though now it is a bit cumbersome (you have to select the action you want the unit [no multi-select either] to do, so it's not context sensitive). It had a great array of units and a decent plotline.

There were some other great features, too - sandworms (AI that was against everything) would eat units if they travel too near them on sand (they couldn't travel on rock). There were also StarPorts that would sell you units at randm prices (tell you before you buy, but keep changing between visits), so you could get some real bargains.

It still had the resource system of most strategies, just using "spice" as the money maker.

It may not have been as streamlined as modern RTSes, but it's a classic.

I got the last and penultamate level on all three houses, but could never finish it.

GR

P.S. Dune 1 was a point and click adventure, that's why it's called Dune 2.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 pm 

Post Post subject:

Posting Rampage
Posting Rampage
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We would have got to the last level on all three houses if you hadn't saved over the Ordos one :wink: Also when you say you got to them technically it should be we got too.

Dune 2 is the best game ever!!! Although having to move every tank individually could get repetitive and not being context sensitive meant I often had friendly fire, still a great game. Sandworms were sometimes annoying (when they go for your havesters which have to go on the sand because that's where the spice is), but could eat enemy units as well so be used tactically.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Yeah, lol, but that was ages ago!

The sandworms did get annoying, but they're notthat active in the first half of the game, and they follow a pattern.

Another thing I've noticed about it; the graphics look surprisingly good, they may not be as detailed as some later offerings, but they are clean, which makes them in some ways better.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:24 pm