It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Doom 4

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Details are starting to leak. There are allegedly leaked development screenshots up on the internet. And apparently even some of the soundtrack. Assuming these are legitimate, it looks like if Doom 3 was Doom 1, Doom 4 is Doom 2...ie set on Earth.

http://kotaku.com/5889217/are-these-doom-4-screenshots/
http://kotaku.com/5889491/looks-like-these-are-more-doom-4-images/

I also found a link with more information on where all this apparently came from: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/doom-4-over-170-assets-leaked-by-games-ex-artist-four-music-tracks-revealed/

I am pretty interested in this game, I'm actually wondering if they're planning to continue on from Doom 3.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Doom 4

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Excellent!

This is great!

You know, it was only last week I was browsing through YouTube videos of Doom 3 and thinking... I never did play the full version of that game (only the demo). And it made me think, hmm, I wonder if Doom 4 has been announced. Turns out it had been talked about for a few years, but no real material.

So now I am pretty excited!

I actually liked how Doom had a storyline, though quite transparent.. you could I guess just go around killing demons, but there was some underlying story. The moment in Doom 3 where.. it happens, you know (no spoilers) was actually one of the coolest things I've seen in an FPS, story wise, at least.

I wonder if they can capture the sense of horror/fear in to the game. Something akin to FEAR 2 with the whole jump out of your seat stuff.. or something truly disgusting to look at, like looking in to the planes of hell itself. Whatever that might look like. I'm excited to see what they come up with!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:59 am 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
John didn't you play Doom when you were like 8 or something? ^^

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:06 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I played Doom when I was like... 5

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

azcn2503 wrote:
The moment in Doom 3 where.. it happens, you know (no spoilers) was actually one of the coolest things I've seen in an FPS, story wise, at least.

I completely agree, the way the game built up to it was brilliant.

From what I recall about Doom 3, it was like marmite, you either loved it or hated it. I loved it. :D

They really did try to get the best of both worlds by having the audio diaries and emails lying around that you could pick up and read if you wanted to (to get more story depth), but you didn't have to.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:14 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Hmm.

Slightly deviating here...

Are there other games similar to Doom? I'd love to finally find a game that could totally creep me out. When I google search for creepy or scary games, I get thinks like Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, BioShock... but none of those are scary or creepy games by my standards. I want to find a game that genuinely makes me think... oh man, I can't cope with that today.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

azcn2503 wrote:
I played Doom when I was like... 5

This was before I was a fetus.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Hawke wrote:
John didn't you play Doom when you were like 8 or something? ^^

Hm, I'd say closer to 6 or 7 was when I first played it.

azcn2503 wrote:
Hmm.

Slightly deviating here...

Are there other games similar to Doom? I'd love to finally find a game that could totally creep me out. When I google search for creepy or scary games, I get thinks like Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, BioShock... but none of those are scary or creepy games by my standards. I want to find a game that genuinely makes me think... oh man, I can't cope with that today.

If it's horror you're after, Amnesia might satisfy you. As for a game just like Doom 3? I don't think there is anything out there right now. :(

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Amnesia is the only thing that comes close I guess. Maybe I just need to read some fan fiction and imagine a game ;)

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

azcn2503 wrote:
Amnesia is the only thing that comes close I guess. Maybe I just need to read some fan fiction and imagine a game ;)

I don't really know any horror novels. At some point I intend to read some of H.P. Lovecraft's novels. I have heard good things.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

But anyway back on topic, hell on earth could be amazing if done using today's technology.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail