It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Most difficult boss fight ever

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Post in here the hardest boss you've ever had the privilege to encounter.

The most difficult boss fight ever, for me, is the Roehn Theer fight in EverQuest 2. I can explain the fight but it's long! Just know that it is tough ;)

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Most difficult boss fight ever

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Ever encountered? In my limited experience, and of course for the first time I ever play against the bosses (since they're always easier after you defeat them as you know what to do):

Sonic Advance 2 vs Knuckles' boss: The Egg Saucer.

Reason being it's I believe the first boss in the series that legitimatelly insta-kills you regardless of rings in a single attack. It's equipped with the hand of doom, which at regular intervals slaps your location. If you touch the hand, you lose your rings as standard. If the fingers slap you, rings lost. If you get full blown slapped by the hand, you die, regardless of if you have rings or not- the first time I ever encountered a boss that could do this in the Sonic series as normally any attack when you have rings causes you to lose rings.

Also humorously known as the "Egg-<FEMALE DOG>-slapper" due to that hand of doom slapping frequently (although it also performs a karate-chop attack when you damage the machine enough).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Most difficult boss fight ever

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Nice, I'll check a YT vid of that.

Update: looks reasonably tough!

Watch this video on Youtube.

The Roehn Theer fight in EQ2 is tough when you fight '2 rune' or higher.

Basically, the fight happens on a large grid. The moment you start to attack Roehn Theer, the grid activates - you can cast while moving on the grid! Yay! You'd think this would trivialise fights requiring lots of movement (healers don't need to worry about people being out of range, DPS can do their long cast high damage etc.) but this fight has quirks...

You DPS him down to 90%, then he becomes immune. 4 runes appear on each corner of the grid. You have to destroy a minimum of one. The runes, when destroyed, give him certain abilities.

You have a minute to destroy these runes. Once the time is up, the real fight begins. You have to make your way on to the grid.

The grid changes colour. Green squares heal you, red squares increase your damage, blue squares reduce mana drain, neutral squares do nothing, flashing squares drop in 2 seconds time, and there is a death square that strips all buffs from you and I believe curses you and causes you to die. There is a res square, where when people die, they are ported to. All of these tiles change location very frequently, and often drop from under your feet with very little warning.

Roehn Theer himself attacks very fast. He has a tail swipe and can never turn his back on the raid otherwise you suffer a large knockup, probably in to a hole or off the side of the grid. Either way it does a lot of damage and should always be avoided. Roehn Theer also puts an arcane effect on people that stops them from casting and drains about 10% health per second. Healers and mages need to cure it as soon as possible.

Most guilds would only fight this guy on '1 rune' mode - usually destroying the rune that provided him with a huge mana drain ability. As long as you kept draining his mana, he would not drain yours. It was important that all classes used as many mana draining abilities and pieces of gear as possible.

A second rune would cause multiple heroic (very difficult) adds appear. They would need to be taken away from the name otherwise a fail condition is met and you all die.

A third rune would cause a split persona version of Roehn Theer to appear. It needs to be dealt with in exactly the same way as the original Roehn Theer, and has the mana drain ability if you chose that rune too. I believe it also spawns its own adds. It must be taken away from the original Theer as another fail condition will be met.

A fourth rune causes an effect to land on all players in the raid like a yin and yang. Yin need to find Yang players. All this happens while you do the strategy above...

I think only one guild worldwide managed to complete it on 4 runes - Equestrian Prep (I think they are on Unrest), they are a hardcore raiding guild.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail