It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: The rumours begin, new CS game: Global Offensive

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08 ... confirmed/

I don't have much other info, though apparently an official announcement is coming tomorrow.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:57 am 

Post Post subject: Re: The rumours begin, new CS game: Global Offensive

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: rct2100
http://kotaku.com/5830230/is-valve-releasing-a-new-counter+strike-game

This appeared on Kotaku as well this morning. I don't know... I'm not really bothered about it though, CSS just isn't that fun for me tbh, I don;t like dying then having to wait a billion years to re spawn, that's why I prefer reverse GG :/

Just make HL3 already :P (Obligatory Comment)

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:17 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

TBH, I don't mind Valve releasing all these other games while we wait for HL(2Ep)3, they're so big that they just have a lot of teams working on different stuff. It just means it better be really good :P

Also, I'd like to see what they've changed with this new CS, if it's just an engine overhaul, it's probably not that interesting (especially as CSS received a pretty big engine update recently).

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:25 am 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
There needs to be a new competitive fps, lets hope it's not buggy as fucccccckkkkkk.

Not sure what to believe really, there's been rumours all the time of a new cs which has been proven wrong.

I would probably buy it and try it out though o.O. Not been playing cs as much recently cos sc2 / tf2 (and maybe even some LoL to make scottie raaaaaaaaaaaage :D:D) have been more fun to play ^_^

Need hl3 though :(:( I'm not sure why valve would bother with a new cs game considering it's one of the worst communities :/ they could work on other games which would be far greater appreciated.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:49 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

These rumours come from Twitter posts by members of the eSports scene claiming to have been playing at Valve this week. Seems pretty legit, though we will see tomorrow (or later, seeing as that tomorrow is probably US time, which would be later today).

As I said, Valve have a lot of groups working on lots of different games now, and this is probably only a small number of them. AFAIK, Valve has a developer staff of 200+ (and more money to throw around than any other game developer).

Maybe they will try and introduce stuff in this that will improve the community. They must have learnt a lot in the past 7 years, especially from TF2.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 am 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Yeh I've already read all about it on twitter / cadred etc. about rumours of them flying cs players out to try it and stuff and so on. But these kind of rumours from the same sources have been made before with no result. Though it seems more genuine this time ;P.

Valve may have a lot of different groups but it doesn't change me wanting hl :P xD

I doubt you can really fix the community tbh lol. A lot of the scene are pricks, and will probably remain so even on the new game. A new game will introduce more pub players again so maybe it won't be as bad - but the cs community has a terrible reputation and rightly so. Same for games like HON and LoL....it's a little strange really :(

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:06 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

They just need to get a critical mass of casualness while still keeping the competitive nature of the game. Maybe a couple of different game modes not aimed towards pros would be good.

MOBA (HoN, LoL) games breed bad communities because doing badly means that not only do you hurt your team, but you help the other team aswell. This mixed into a long game (meaning that the losing pain can go on for a while) with a small number of players (individuals more noticeable) and a high focus on team coordination can cause a lot of tensions. I will be interested to see how the new LoL gamemode fairs community wise, seeing as it's meant to be much quicker and much less teamfight focussed.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:06 pm 

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Matchmaking and new game modes? Definitely strikes me as trying to make it more casual friendly while still keeping the competitive side (note that MM does not exclude dedi servers, and Valve would be mad to limit server functionality based on how much people love dedis for their other games).

Also seems like they want to take a bit of the CoD scene aswell. If they add DM (and possibly GG) modes as standard, then I can see that happening.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:32 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hands on article (haven't read it myself, yet)

EDIT:

Read it now, some points:

eSports focus
No new game modes (contradicts the Steam page though, possibly a mis-hear/mis-type)
Support for dedis is present, along with MM
Looks really good
Lots of classic maps, but with a fair bit of overhaul for competitive tweaking
Built from ground up, so movement etc is new.
Plays smoothly (ie movement is good)
Attempting to get the weapon variety useful, rather than just the big 4. Currently the M4 and AK were disliked, though it's likely there will be a lot of tweaking. The pros suggested keeping the AK/M4 how they are in 1.6/CSS and matching the other weapons to it.
Lots of weapon balance needed atm, but devs are very flexible and the system is designed for tweaking (easily editable gun stats).
New weapons: Machine gun, pistols, shotgun
Added molotov - AoE damage and slow, but expensive. Useful for crowd control.
"Decoy" grenade - emits gunfire sounds. Dubious usability, but remains to be seen.
Experiments with giving a random CT the defuse kit and all players full kevlar at the start of each round, in leu of them being purchasable, but likely to be reversed after feedback.

Overall, pre-beta and looking promising, especially with the devs receptive to feedback this early.

-----------

Seeing that they want this to be big in eSports, I wouldn't be surprised if they came in with a bang like they're doing with DoTA2. Valve have a lot of money and influence to throw around, and they seem very serious about pursuing eSports now.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:42 pm 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Playing the Devil's advocate here, looking at the L4D series, TF2 in general and the CS series, one probably can be understandingly sceptical about VALVe attempting to balance anything.
Sounds interesting nonetheless. If movement is new, could this mean bunny-hopping will be destroyed?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

I hate to be all negative here......butttttttt :D

Marek ".PhP" Kadek is one of the players in seattle. This is what he wrote on Playzone.cz :
- this game is not going to replace CS 1.6, or CS:S, it is primary made for consoles, PC version is just kind of a "bonus"
- at the moment, the game looks more like HL2DM
- There is no recoil and there will never be. (because of the consoles)
- the game runs on L4D2 engine
- SourceTV is NOT a priority
- they are working on match making system
- new money system
- no kevlar (this should be fixed in the future)
- maps are simplyfied for XBOX style, less ways, most fights are close range
- Hidden Path (Valve only finances the game) is trying to make all weapons balanced.

Valve is going to continue updating CS:S, and tomorrow they will also talk with the players about the future of CS:S...

The likes of henryg (a good source player :P) have posted: HenryG | 16 hours ago [2011-08-12 17:58:06] CS:GO is not CounterStrike 2, It is merely a filler game like battlefield 1943 was. Source isn't going any where x)

Seems they're concentrating more on consoles than esports itself.

Whilst they've invited players out - all of the players / people invited represent css - none from 1.6

As such, you get all the people who go lawl 1.6 is better xDDDD but actually have never played 1.6 (1.6 is a better game - certainly for competitive play, but thats not the point im making).

I very much doubt any 1.6 players will ever switch from 1.6, even if they're considering parts of it. We've seen with stuff like pro mod which is trying to make an exact replica of 1.6 that 1.6 players still refuse to even try the game. They just want to play 1.6.

Look at the source community in general - they play source because they want to play source. If this new game is "dumbed down" or whatever they will just be like, <LOOK MA, I AM SWEARING> this game it's so shit compared to source, I remember the 100 tick days balablablabla (see 1.6 players reaction to source coming out and all the flames between the communities ever since).

Equally if they make it 'harder', or identical to 1.6, then the source community will be like omg i would have played 1.6 all this time if I wanted 1.6 omgomgomgomgomgomgomgo.

Tl;dr it will probably create 3 communities instead of the 2 we have currently.

The promising thing is they're considering the input of players like php but you still won't get 1.6 players switching etc.

I guess with an announcement of a huge tournament - dota2 stylee, you would get a lot of players switching over (for example, see the CGS). But if this is a one off tourney people will play it then switch back to their old game like CGS.....the CGS pretty much killed source in America and did a lot of damage to European source as an esport as well...

1.6 remains the biggest fps in the world competitively, and I doubt the players will switch either. As an esport this new cs has the potential to become a huge esport - see sc2 or LoL. But I dunno....if valve supports it hugely and LANs like dreamhack IEM etc pickup the new cs it will most likely become big as an esport. But i can't see the likes of IEM switching from 1.6 for what players are calling a hl2dm / console game...not flame @ hl2dm, i love hl2dm!!! (but it still wont ever be a competitive game, lol)

As valve said they are still intending to work on css....and got css players / zblock to their convention thing, I think maybe they are trying to fix source and make it a better game competitively. But they're already tried and given up twice on css because the community is horrific xD

Ok, in terms of a pub game, it could be fun. They're adding new stuff and making more weapons useful which is obviously good because lets face it why would anyone buy an ump :DDDDD. But classic maps...really? I don't want dust2 etc again -____- I want an entire new map set. Theres like 7 competitive maps already that are never played because people only want d2 / inferno. If you put these back in people will just continue to play these maps sighhhhhhhh :(.

I'm looking forwards to it though :D I just want a fun new fps that isn't years old and is active in terms of being able to find pub games etc easilly. Might even be able to play all together as TCHS as well which would be cool :D. I don't want to seem overly negative towards this game - cos it will be noob etc lolololol - I'm just saying why I don't think necesarilly this new cs is the saviour to cs as an esport. But if it's fun etc I look forwards to playing it, the same with tf2 and every other game that won't ever be a huge competitive game :]

Watch this video on Youtube.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hmm, interesting, a mix of positive and negative comments from the players there. At a guess I'd say that one is being optimistic and the other pessimistic, so we'll have to wait to see the truth.

They did say there will be a bunch of new maps. I think they only keep the old ones because otherwise people would complain and they're easy to add to the game to increase the map pool.

It does sound like it would make a pretty good pub game, I'm hoping there will be playable (casual) pub CS come from this.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:15 am 

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: sparksftw
Skillers wrote:
Hmm, interesting, a mix of positive and negative comments from the players there. At a guess I'd say that one is being optimistic and the other pessimistic, so we'll have to wait to see the truth.

They did say there will be a bunch of new maps. I think they only keep the old ones because otherwise people would complain and they're easy to add to the game to increase the map pool.

It does sound like it would make a pretty good pub game, I'm hoping there will be playable (casual) pub CS come from this.

Unfortunately, it IS a counter-strike game, you know full well how the community is going to be like. It should be a fun game to play with friends though.

Here's the writeup from ESEA

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:27 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Trailers: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08 ... -the-bomb/

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 am 

Nuts, you JUST beat me to posting this. ><

http://store.steampowered.com/video/1800/81061

Kotaku also have an article on it: http://kotaku.com/5834542/an-hour-with-counter+strike-go

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

The first trailer isn't for CSGO, though people are editing it slightly and trying to make it seem to be the case.

Second trailer looks good though, the game looks quite nice ;o

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

some screenies are out:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/30/count ... ts-arrive/

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Yeah, they're on the Steam Store page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Looks pretty.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09 ... more-75012

Gun Game mode confirmed (called "Arsenal Mode") and some new screens - some maps I don't recognise in them too.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 am 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Game looks good. May buy for eye-candy purposes ;o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 am 
 Profile E-mail  

It's beta key time! Begin by applying here: steam://takesurvey/2/

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Devilbwaha
Hmm.. It looks good. But I think I might be so boring sticking to CSS..

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I actual have Beta access for this, played it for a short while and it's pretty similar to CSS, except it looks better and has a few different weapons etc. It also has more gamemodes, such as an inbuilt gungame mode (called arsenal, IIRC).

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 am