It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Free to Play TF2?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I'm splitting this off into its own thread so that I don't derail too hard.

Is it just me that sees this as the worst possible thing ever for TF2? Why you ask? VAC Bans. Think how they work. They will be meaningless. VAC banned? *new account* lets go haxx0r some more.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Free to Play TF2?

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
create new account.

cheat for a week.

profit

I dunno dude, I still can't see how getting a vac ban is achievable on tf2 haha :D. (i guess aimbot for sniper would be useful. Thankfully I train in korean mountains at high altitude many times to get consistent headshooting)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 am 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Guess if you used a rocket predictor or a grenade predictor you'd possibly do better. Or a triggerbot for any hitscan weapons that aren't the stock Sniper Rifle. Then an aimbot for the stock Sniper Rifle. But Si is right tbh.

Doesn't bother me, I can deal with cheaters any time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: kyhas
It's only for the week :/

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:59 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I'm on about the rumoured perma F2P TF2 Kyhas.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

F2P tf2 might give the game new life! :D.

I can't really see many more people buying the game now than currently own it really. As for the cheating thing, everyone who will cheat is going to cheat regardless and there's little you can do to stop that - I'm a little sceptical if people are really that sad to do so on tf2 though :P

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:22 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Ludicrous Poster
Ludicrous Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: vantomboy
i cheat on pyro usin 2 fingres for w

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I'd be more surprised if it didn't go F2P.

Many games went F2P after adding RMT/microtransactions/in-game stores.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

And it happens. TF2 is...free.

EDIT: The FAQ. Assuming it is to be believed, Valve are aware it may lead to people making mass accounts and cheating repeatedly. I'll be interested to know what they do about it. If they do anything about it.

EDIT2: Doesn't look like Steam's servers can handle it. The Steam forums are going up and down again with random database errors, and I've read about people being unable to play due to Steam being unable to connect to VAC servers, etc.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:24 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Nice :)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Yeh tf2free is now free to play! (xD!)

Which is good news once the servers calm down etc. New people joining the game and trying it out etc :D.

The O.B. was only £6.39(?) at one point anyway which is as good as free ;D. Certainly an amazing bargain!

It makes sense for valve to make money now from items, as I don't think many people will buy the game who haven't already. More players = more hats? ;D

Some people on cadred are talking about making accounts just to hack though :(. I hope this comes with an orange box engine vac ban - which would mean they can't play source also :))))

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
They will create accounts with just TF2 on so they cheat, get VAC banned and create a new account. Valve says they've got some tracking methods, though. I would personally do it as "free to anyone who has spent more than £5 on Steam" - completely breaks the free aspect of cheating while not the free aspect of the game.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 am 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Skillers wrote:
They will create accounts with just TF2 on so they cheat, get VAC banned and create a new account. Valve says they've got some tracking methods, though. I would personally do it as "free to anyone who has spent more than £5 on Steam" - completely breaks the free aspect of cheating while not the free aspect of the game.

I think I read somewhere you have to have bought a game on steam to get tf2 for free? Not sure how accurate that is but you'd have to buy a new game / use your own account and then cheat if that is the case.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Woo! Anti-VAC and Anti-Server ban update!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Si wrote:
Woo! Anti-VAC and Anti-Server ban update!

What does this entail? :d

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

TF2 now with nothing to stop people from cheating.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Si, did you even read the FAQ I linked to in my post? I'm confident Valve will deal with this potential for exploitation.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:13 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Met, I have faith that it will not work at first :P Also... you did say If...

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Wynney wrote:
Skillers wrote:

I think I read somewhere you have to have bought a game on steam to get tf2 for free? Not sure how accurate that is but you'd have to buy a new game / use your own account and then cheat if that is the case.

Well either way, you have to put £4 into your Steam wallet to get a "Premium" Tf2 account (Of which you only have to spend 30p to get an item from the Tf2 store). I like the idea of that though Skillers, there should be some limit on how much you spend on Steam before you can get Tf2 for free.

I'm not sure I agree with it going free to play, But I guess it's a move away from purchasing copies of games and relying on micro transactions... Scary thing is it might put more people onto the Micro transaction thing, and that's only a bad thing :/

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:15 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Microtransactions aren't terrible, but I think they're more suited to MMO environments, as an alternative to a subscription fee (look at DDO to see a system that I think works quite well). I also don't mind cosmetic items being microtransactions, but I still think games work best as a standard game with full content + some DLC (which should be appropriately large, like a smaller expansion pack of the past).

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm