It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Terraria - Minecraft style 2D adventure game

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
I'll let the trailer do the talking:

Watch this video on Youtube.

The developers ahve also being doing an LP on their Youtube page, though they don't seem to have got very far.

Website

Anyway, it looks like a 2D games in the Minecraft style (random world, mining, crafting and block placing), though with more emphasis on exploring and fighting (the crafting and building are simpler and there are a lot more enemies, items and abilities and there are more distinct/interesting areas - corrupted land, underground forest etc with unique enemies). Has multiplayer, which allows for teams and PvP.

Looks pretty cool to me, definitely one to keep an eye on.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:47 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Terraria - Minecraft style 2D adventure game

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Multiplayer :) win!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:51 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, the people making it have said multiplayer will basically be hardware capped, basically, so if the hardware is good enough there can be anything up to 255(?) players, though atm they've only tested it up to 8.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Up on Steam now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600

Anyone interested in a 4pack? Me and my housemate are definitely getting it, so if anyone else wants in, we could get it cheaper. Will accept £4.50 or game of value ~£4-5. Will be buying in the next few hours.

Mon May 16, 2011 6:04 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

This game is pretty good, though I've only played ~3hrs so far. It's been the top seller on Steam since release (and that list is by revenue, not numbers, so even more impressive for a £6 game) and reached the 1 spot on the most concurrent players on Steam last night (peaking at 17K with CS and CSS each at about 16.5K) and is currently sitting ~6th. Pretty impressive launch.

Anyway, some comments I have (mostly negative, but the game is very good):
Multiplayer is a bit iffy - some lag issues etc. May try running a smaller world later to see if that helps (unlike Minecraft, the worlds have limited size, but the entire world is always in memory).
Controls can be awkward, especially when you have to jump up a long path of 1 high blocks - would be nice to have single blocks behave like MC half steps. I would suggest assigning jump to W as "up" doesn't seem to have a purpose, though that is preference if you prefer jump elsewhere.
Combat is also a bit awkward, especially if you have a small height advantage (hard to hit stuff below you). Not helped by multiplayer lag issues.
The game is quite hard, though can be made easier by avoiding the harder areas until geared up a bit. With an alright sword (silver) and some armour, the top during day and the first underground level are managable. The second underground layer is difficult (these are both early ares of the game).
Probably too many slimes, gets kinda annoying.
I haven't found much loot, though that could just be me being unlucky.
No graphics options yet - importantly resolution can't be changed above 800x600 so all you can have is a tiny window or a super stretched fullscreen mode.

One big thing to note is that I've played for ~3hrs and barely scratched the surface. I have some basic kit, and that's about it. I've only really done a bit of the surface and first underground layers, there's still (in rough order of difficulty from what I know) the second underground area (touched), corruption (on surface), the dungeon, the hell layer (bottom of map), the underground forest. Also have floating island, but I don't think they're finished yet (currently just have chests on them). There's also bosses and an invasion thing.

They have also siad they will be releasing a lot more content. I think they even released the game early, probably due to the massive amounts of attention it got followed by leaks appearing all over the place.

Definitely recommend it.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:14 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Nice write up. Although as you said mostly negative, it's actually tempted me!

Tue May 17, 2011 2:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, I would sum it up as "having issues" but I'm sure they'll be cleaned up pretty soon (as I said - probably a premature release for damage control on the mad leaking). Also, I have a tendancy to pick on the negatives whenever I'm talking about the game - I find the positives difficult to write about (just look at what I wrote about Crysis a month or so ago). It's definitely a very promising game and is still fun in its current state, and will definitely be worth £6 for me.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:38 pm