It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Valve are at it again, this time with Indies involved: ARG

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Don't really know much about this one myself, so check here if you want to go through it. All I know is that all the potato pack games have a bunch of clues in them and the latest Portal 2 vid also has a few frames of stuff.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Valve are at it again, this time with Indies involved: ARG

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

People are finding glyths among other things.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Valve are at it again, this time with Indies involved: ARG

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
I want to say your both late to the party, but in fairness me and si only discuss this on mumble :P

Yes glyphs pointing to other games

text files changed new levels big mystery gtg

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:42 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I've been seeing it mentioned ever since the Potato Fools Day stuff on Steam, but I didn't think much of it until Valve openly showed involvement (I thought it was probably just some indies having some fun, but now I think it's something bigger).

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
From what appears to be discovered, its something Portal 2 related, possibly the promised link between Portal1 and Portal2 that we were supposed to get before Portal2 is released.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: ARG/portal 2 Sign up on Defense Grid: URGENT?

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

http://valvearg.com/wiki/DGrid_IDs#INSTRUCTIONS

Follow instructions, simple.

It claims someone on my friends list is eledgible as a division 2 group I something that it needs. :P

Merge with ARG after a day or two this needed to stand out!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:51 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: ARG/portal 2 Sign up on Defense Grid: URGENT?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Done!

Speciality: Applied Physics :D

Mine says "but perhaps you can help us find someone who does."

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:40 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

It's now looking for Applied Physics in November

(I was August :( )

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

ouch unlucky im in propulsion :P

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:34 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Merged the DG stuff as they have finished that now.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:50 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

thank you!

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:42 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well this is getting even more crazy, it seems all the potato sack games have received portal themed levels now.

Also, P2 bot skin for people who own all of the Potato Sack.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:23 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Few updates:

36 potatoes were found by doing various things, mostly in game. Those who got all 36 also received a "golden potato" badge.
There is now a Portal 2 + Potato Sack bundle. It has the price increased by £23.99 over the potato sack, which is the same effective price as the 2 pack of Portal 2. Humourously, it also calls Portal 2 and indie title.
There is now a countdown with some text. It's probably going to have a final puzzle at 5pm our time.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:49 am 

I don't think it's an early release of Portal 2, I reckon it will be some kind of demo.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I'm hoping it will be some sort of prerelease DLC, maybe some levels featuring the Ratman.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:01 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

This is what happened, the countdown is to the scheduled time of release for Portal. It seems that if enough people play the Potato sack games it will release Portal 2 early or something. I hope there's something else too, getting Portal 2 a couple of days early (at most) seems a bit lame for all the puzzles that were done.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:10 pm 

Ludicrous Poster
Ludicrous Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: vantomboy
Nice Idea to make People waste their Money.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I wouldn't say waste, that's a really good selection of quality indie games (Only one I wouldn't say is particularly good is TWEOTW).

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I've got 34/36 potatoes now, just 1 to go (the 36th is given for having 35), I need to play Amnesia now...

As for the countdown, we have TWEOTW finished (which knocked 51mins off the countdown) and Kick It nearly done. Most the rest seem to be around 25% with the more successful games closer to 10%.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 pm 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Is it right that each potato multiplies your time for the count down?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

It is known that potatoes somewhat augment the speed, but it's not clear whether that's overall all potatoes affecting everyone, individual potatoes or just game specific potatoes and what the effect is (whether it is small or large).

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I now have a golden potato! Damn Amnesia was scary, and I was watching a walkthrough and only had one point where I could really get hurt. They sure know what they're doing.

Well, now lets wait and see whether it was actually worth it...

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 pm 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Well, up to 4 games pretty much done now :/ I doubt Killing floor/Amnesia will get to the top... Too popular.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:54 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I think there will be atleast 8 completed, which will bring the launch forward to sometime Tuesday morning for us.

Apparently it's now thought that reaching a certain amount of potatoes will also reduce the time, though, as there doesn't appear to be any sort of gain from the increased no of potatoes, but it's unknown how many are needed (I'd guess 500k myself) and what effect it would have.

Also, there's been a hint that this may not be the end (ie there may be something else following the release of Portal), but the hint isn't hugely solid, so we'll see.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:02 am 

I've seen several different sites making their own calculations for the release, with one putting it at being under 10 hours.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 pm 
 Profile E-mail