It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Re: RIFT: Planes of Telara

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: kyhas
Awesome

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
So... anybody play this game? lol

OK, so me and Harry have been playing this quite a lot recently. I have a Bard main soul at 42 and a Beastmaster main soul at 29 (very nearly 30!) and Harry has a couple of roles on his 36 Rogue, I believe he's doing some Bard stuff and also some Ranger stuff too.

It's a good game for sure. Levelling up is reasonably fast, but nowhere near as fast as EQ2 or WOW. I'm sure that if you had a level 50 character helping out, you could powerlevel yourself as you can in the other games. There is no mentoring/scaling down system, but if you group with a level 50 as a level 10, you still get experience from kills, just less than usual. Obviously things will be killed faster and you would progress quicker. Level 50s probably wouldn't do this though as they have plenty of things to be getting on with at the end-game. Not that I'd know, as I'm not there yet... just going by what others are saying :)

My complaint with the game would be... the aggro radius on mobs is way too large. Hostile mobs are annoyingly placed on what you would think might be a safe pathway to your destination. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if you didn't dismount every time you took a hit from them, or a damage over time tick effect... and some DOT's last a long time, like 20s. Again, not too much of a problem if you didn't have to cross the entire zone to get to a zone invasion boss... and hey I've got 30 levels on these weak ass mobs yet they still aggro me and knock me off my mount... and even then, by the time you get there, it's probably been killed by a group of level 50s, leaving you with nothing. Mounts are very expensive whether you pay for them in platinum or in favor earned in PVP.

Another thing would be that I can't control what my pet does when I am on a mount. I can't tell it to attack things, I have to dismount first. Obviously combat is a no-go when you're on a mount unlike in other MMOs.

OK, now that's the bad stuff out of the way... time for the good stuff. Really good stuff!

The rifts are great! If you've got a group of 2 or 3, you can take on any minor rift and complete all of its stages and get decent rewards in the form of gear, planarite (a universal currency used for planar items, rare and epic gear, planar essences to increase stats or provide additional bonuses in combat/healing etc.) and sometimes even a sourcestone of the appropriate tier that helps you get the better items.

The dungeon finder is awesome. Mainly because of the match making. You tell the dungeon finder the roles you want to play, then you queue yourself up for them. The dungeon finder utility won't allow you to select a role that you cannot do - so if you don't have a support soul with enough points invested, you won't be able to play the support role. Same for tanking clerics - just because you're a cleric doesn't necessarily mean that you can provide many or any heals, so the role will not be available to you. I can tell you this... not many people enjoy playing a support class, and in fact a lot of groups will just ask if you want to DPS, mainly out of pity for the person providing support. I love playing a supporting role however, and it means that I always find groups exceptionally quickly! The support role is required when queueing for dungeons, so someone has to do it!

And the PVP warfronts (consensual PVP in its own separate space) similar to battlegrounds in EQ2 is great. The experience and favor gained through these warfronts is amazing... and the PVP gear is decent. They are very easy to play and the objective is clear in each game mode. There are more game modes available to you as you level up.

I love playing the warfronts on my bard and my beastmaster. The bard provides a crazy amount of raid-wide heals and buffs - increasing damage output of all your friends, and reducing damage taken. A welcome addition to any team - I'm happy to see lots of other people switching to bard mid-play to turn the tables on the enemy. They make any group/raid solid! The beastmaster is great because with enough points invested in the soul - I can now see stealthed enemies very clearly! It's funny to see a rogue think that they are getting the jump on me or one of my friends - I can see them coming and my pet is ready to pounce!!! I recently obtained a ridiculously overpowered purple weapon that makes my attacks do so much more damage now, and I am a fierce opponent in warfronts!!! Until I hit 30 and have to contend with the level 39's, which will probably happen on my next run through :P

With all the favor I've earned on that character, I have my new PVP gear waiting for me in my bags, ready to be equipped. And I have plenty of planarite ready to purchase some level 30 epic gear... I just need to do some rifts and zone invasions in the next tier zones (scarwood reach) to obtain the vile sourcestone required for it. And once again I'll be extremely powerful!

Gearing up in this game is very easy. You don't need to have a high level character guiding you through the game. With the gear rewarded from bosses in dungeons, and the reward from doing a random level-appropriate dungeon, with the planar items and PVP items... you will find it easy to be decked out in blue (rare) and even purple (epic) gear on your first time running through this game.

And that's my 30 second review!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Big Aaron post is big.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I wish that my penis was 30 seconds long :(

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:01 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Marry me...

... in 1.7

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I also like how every objective is pointed out clearly on the map.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Dont forget your suit!

Also everyget an account and get to level six to attend mine and Anna's wedding this valentines xD

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:42 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

kyhas wrote:
Dont forget your suit!

Also everyget an account and get to level six to attend mine and Anna's wedding this valentines xD

You all need to do this!

Can they play on Icewatch if they play Rift Lite?? !!

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I hit level 50.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:04 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Me too, oh wait a sec.......

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

You'll be 50 this week :)

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Crafted my first epic rune today (+19 physical crit) which was pretty awesome. Added it on to a new bow which I literally looted just an hour before getting the achievement. Nice bow it is too. It also provides +19 physical crit as standard! Lots of critting now...

And I've been topping damage parses in normal and expert dungeons! My hit rating is now at 200, which is supposedly the 'recommended' amount for raiding.

Not that I'm interested in that just yet. I've done about 3 of the expert mode dungeons and there are... 12 of them to do. So I have time haha.

Also: Snowing inside Sanctum!!

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

dem fx

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

There's a skill called butchering!? ><

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yes, but it's not nearly as gory as you'd want it to be ;)

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:32 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

skinning animals and what not for leather

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Also skinning wasps

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

for leather also

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail