It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Cell Factor

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
For those who don't know, this is one absolutely incredible game that seems to be taking full advantage of the PhysX PPU. Due for release in Q4 2007, it boasts incredible graphics, sci-fi style gameplay and physics that are almost out of this world! The technology demo shown at http://physx.ageia.com/ looks incredible, and you can download it in high definition.

Not just that, but now you can get this: http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?file_id=3253

;)

Edit: It will only work if you have a PhysX card. Also note that The Inquirer tested out this tech demo with 2 x 7800GTX's in SLI and an Athlon 64 4000+ processor and achieved a <sarcasm>mindblowing 30fps</sarcasm>. When they dropped the second card it got to 14fps. Quad-SLI and dual core might be handy when playing this demo! Obviously - the performance in the demo doesn't reflect what will be shown when the game comes to be released at the end of 2007. Think of NV8, DX10 and >2 cores by then anyway!

Sun May 14, 2006 8:12 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

[b:95499157fd]You can play this game without using a PhysX card![/b:95499157fd]

All you have to do is pass EnablePhysX=false to the application when you start it. This may require you to install Cell Factor to a lesser directory, for example: C:CellFactor instead of the default in C:Program Files.

I might want to add that it is highly unstable in a multiplayer environment, and the physics system constantly locks up. It may be because I do not have the hardware.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

However, without a PhysX card you will not be able to access all the effects.

Also, it will run slightly slower.

This is according to PCG.

I am about to try this.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:01 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

You will be able to get all the effects apart from liquid and cloth. Blowing up lots of objects at a time will sometimes cause a slowdown, but the PhysX software is pretty efficient even without the hardware. Definitely a Havok killer.

Edit: You can get cloth effects, but only if you cool your processor and graphics card with liquid nitrogen.
Edit: Make sure you turn off the cloth effects in the game settings before you start a map, because in the newer beta it is enabled by default!

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:38 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Those were the ones.

Anyway, my technical knowledge is non-existant mostly.

I eventually got the thing to work, I put a little f instead of a big F in the false bit. It worked after that.

Either that or it's the order in which I installed them, or that I eventually put them both on C.

Also, some objects seem to randomly float and become non-physical (seen but no there).

[url]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/Species1664/01b25547.jpg[/url]

Um. I may have got something a bit wrong here.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Like I said, the physics system seems to lock up occasionally. Unfortunate :(

I'm not looking forward to hardware physics acceleration from either ATI or Nvidia because nobody is interested in them. There's no material for them to show, and apparently the performance doesn't come close to Ageia PhysX. PhysX is cool. I might buy a card when I get paid just to check out the hardware acceleration in the CF beta.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Wait until there are more games to use it on.

The cards would probably have advanced by then as well.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I'm thinking of getting one... but I've just had some [url=http://compsandcons.jconserv.net/viewtopic.php?p=11286#11286]other very important news[/url] that could change my decision in the next few weeks.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:56 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I'll let you guys know more about what I think of this game tomorrow. :)

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:50 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Tomorrow has been and gone.

Also, do you have an X850 XT PE for a graphics card?
Or in fact a graphics card that only uses shader 3.0 technology?

You probably know this as you seem very intelligent, however (and I know this is off topic):

[url]http://timeslip.chorrol.com/FakeHDRDownload.html[/url]

It makes Oblivion look a bit nicer for those who do not have the money to keep up to date. 8)

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I have a 7950GX2 :P I put my X850XT-PE in to the other computer. I'm selling the 6800GS XXX I had. :P

[color=red:c7eabdc11c]Edited by starbucks. Offensive material[/color:c7eabdc11c]

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Did you just insult me?

I was trying to be helpful.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:11 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
WTF happened here?

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:02 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I think Species didnt like azcn2503s 'Turd' response as 'how dare you say that card, i have one much better'

Ok, no idea, only best guesses here.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Let's wait for Aaron.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:07 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Sorry, turd was randomness. I felt my message was too short and sensible so I decided to screw it up. I apologise.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:10 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

LOL, typical Aaron.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:27 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

As for Cell Factor with the 7950GX2 and the PhysX.. it runs a dream! Though the thing my PC lacks right now is a decent processor - including bots in my game lowers frame rates considerably. I should really invest in a new processor when quad-core is to be released, possibly the start of next year.

Saying that, I probably won't have the money then, because I should be moving house with my girlfriend :D

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:24 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Quad cores? :shock:

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:23 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

AMD 4x4 tech - coming soon :P.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

AMD 4x4 will be compatible with their native quad-core processors, so you will be able to get 8 physical cores in to a machine by pairing up 2 quad-core processors.

4x4 will be made available toward the end of this year (November, December) and native quad-core for the desktop may come as soon as January. Intel are planning to release quad-core at the end of this year. We all know that Intel still suck at quad-core. We also know that Intel Core 2 Duo cannot be paired up.

Again, did you just feel something? Yes, that was AMD kicking Intel in the gonads.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

So for now it's 2x2cores, but 2x4 soon. :P

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:58 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

4x4 sounds like teh pwnage. 4 CPU's and 4 GPU's... soon to expand to 8 CPU's! Wow!

Oh and err.. I heard a rumour that Nvidia bought Ageia and that Nvidia's onboard physics will basically be the PhysX processor. They will include it for no extra cost to the end user. That's a kick in the teeth for ATI/AMD/DAAMIT.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Wow, that would be good!

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:49 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

If anybody is interested, I will set up a CellFactor server so that we can all play :)

Just so that you know, I'm using the CellFactor Tech Demo rev. 36b (from cf_physx_techdemo_r36.exe). You can find this download [url=http://www.filecloud.com/file/3253/CellFactor+PhysX+Tech+Demo+rev.36b/]here[/url] if you don't already have it.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:59 am 
 Profile E-mail