It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Racing Games - Auto or Manual gears?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
So, which do you use?

Personally, I use semi-auto. It allows me to ignore the gears, knowing that the PC will do them for me, but it also allows me to change a gear when I need it. This allows me to quickly cycle down through the gears to get fast acceleration after braking, such as in a corner. It works great for me.

Just another random thing about racing games - why do the pitstops have fixed times for repair work, no matter how damaged a certain peice is?

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:13 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Full Auto is the only way to go for me unless m extremely good at the game or it gives me a massive advantage over the computer. This give sme the chance to analyse each bend without having to select a gear (which would waste pointless time required to guage speed) and then fly flat out through the bend depending on traction and position.

And the pitstops is easy; they couldnt be bothered to pogramme the different times or a heavl damaged piecwe.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I don't use it to accurately select a gear, just drop through them quickly for rapid excelleration after braking, which gives me advantage over players of the same skill who use full auto.

That's pretty silly, if they can program an accurate racing similation, programming a simple damage affecting time should be a doddle. Would make the game feel more balenced, as you cannot keep any part of the car fully healthy between stops. I thought in real rallying they may just replace the component, which would be a consistant time.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:11 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Or that yeah. Thats why Colin McRea got disqualified from the Rally of aus when he was in scond. Skoda ran out of time replacing his clutch. He was forced to retire.

As for the gears, lots of top class playes use full auto's. For some people it gives them an edge when they learn how to push down the gears. On CM04 for example, heavyt braking and then tapping the accelerator will drop th gear down the appropriate one for the corner. Or you could just have a one gear car!

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:52 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Bet he was a bit dissapointed.

Anyway, I think doing such combos is much harder than tapping a button. I would like to see you beat anyone in a one gear car (anyone who is half decent at driving, anyway).

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:04 pm 

Post Post subject:

Ultra Poster
Ultra Poster

When ever i am on a racing game, i always use automatic gears. They are so much easier to use and racing becomes alot easier. However, my brother uses manual gears. He says, you can change the gears how you want to in the bends and you can go faster. Fair play, he is amazing at racing games.

But on Need for Speed Undergrouand, and Need for Speed Underground 2 there is one type of race that you have to use manula gears- that is drag races. But the whole point of that race is the gear changing and getting it at the right time. But you don't have to wory about steering, only changing lanes and that is just one movement left or right depending on the direction you want to go!!

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:34 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Ultra Poster
Ultra Poster

For got to add, what are semi automatic gears? Is that the method of pressing the button to change up or down a gear without a clutch pedal? And MANUAL is using a clutch poedal??

I'm confused!!

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

OK, semi-autos are were it automatically canges the gears, but you can take over if you want. This means it can change up or you, but you can drop through them quickly, as sometimes games aren't very quick with dropping gears in auto. Semi-auto is a cross between auto and manual.

Oh, and if you want to add something, there is an "edit" button in the top of all your posts, meaning you can change it afterwards. This is useful if you forget something, just makes it look neat.

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:11 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

I somehow think that yur bro is not better than me. I am tyhe king of racing games. And karting! Manual gears are only any good if you know that you have a rev limit.

Oh yeah, my Toyota Motor Triathalon car does 188 MPH in 1st! Have some of that. 7:45 lap of Nurburg!

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:28 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Don't be so cocky, StarBucks.

WTF?!? How in blazes can a car go so fast in first?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:15 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I prefer semi-auto but i do use manual some times just to pour salt into my sisters wounds when she is playing against me:

[quote:800ac0ef48="I"]Bet you're upset, i beat you and you were in an automatic, i was in a manual, more controls to keep control of[/quote:800ac0ef48]

Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:41 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hehe, lol!

That's a fun thing to do.

I do you manuals in drag racing, cos there's not much else to think about.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:47 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Only if its an ELECTRIC ENGINE!!!!! No gear! Loads of torque and 188MPH!
Thats the only thing reasonably good for electric engines is the torque!

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:14 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah, I see.

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:57 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

The gar thing gets confusing. In drags is not necessary to be good at changing gear, its about slipstreaming and getting i n the right lane!

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:53 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Strange, in drag racing I always tak it ahead of the pack with great gear changing.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:56 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

well, you could do that and lead from the front by blocing, but it would be more fun to win right at the end!

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:43 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Plus, the drag games I play tend to have things happen where you don't want to be behind (like cars appearing from nowhere).

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:53 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

LOL! Thats just wierd. y do cars appear randomly?

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Certain racing games have "obstacle" cars that are triggered by the leader moving past point X, at it can get hairy with you behind them.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:32 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

thats just wierd. That is a really bizzare game. none of my games do that.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:41 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

It was a Need For Speed game (demo) which is meant to be street racing. So technically it's not proper racing. I have had dear on rally gams, but it's only you, so no slipstreaming is involved.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:25 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Unless ur in an arcade race like on V rally. Up to fur cars on track at once. God that game was ahrd! But then when u did it u unlocked such an amzing car!

Tue May 09, 2006 8:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Oooh, I had that game, I think.

Tue May 09, 2006 8:52 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Actually i think that was V rally 2: Championship Edition. It had a proper stage maker (something which is still omitted form most CM games) and the levels got properly harder as the game progressed!

And im looking for a GT4 wheel. But i think it only works with 3 types, so it could be expensive......

Wed May 10, 2006 5:57 pm 
 Profile E-mail