It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Post subject: Re: Portal update -> Portal 2 Announced

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
For some reason.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Techious VAT and google

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:20 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Double Poster
Double Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

For those who haven't checked out GameInformer's feature, here's Aperture Science's history.

Quote:

Aperture Science: A History

1953 – Aperture Science begins operations as a manufacturer of shower curtains. Early product line provides a very low-tech portal between the inside and outside of your shower. Very little science is actually involved. The name is chosen to make the curtains appear more hygienic.

1956 – Eisenhower administration awards Aperture a contract to provide shower curtains to all branches of the military except the Navy.

1957-1973 – Mostly shower curtains.

1974 – Aperture Founder and CEO, Cave Johnson, is exposed to mercury while secretly developing a dangerous mercury-injected rubber sheeting from which he plans to manufacture seven deadly shower curtains to be given as gifts to each member of the House Naval Appropriations committee.

1976 – Both of Cave Johnson’s kidneys fail. Brain damaged, dying, and incapable of being convinced that time is not now flowing backwards, Johnson lays out a three-tier R&D program. The results, he says, will “guarantee the continued success of Aperture Science far into the fast-approaching distant past.”

• 1. The Heimlich Counter-Maneuver – A reliable technique for interrupting the life-saving Heimlich Maneuver.
  • 2. The Take-A-Wish Foundation – A charitable organization that will purchase wishes from the parents of terminally ill children and redistribute them to wish-deprived but otherwise healthy adults.
  • 3. “Some kind of rip in the fabric of space…that would…well, it’d be like, I don’t know, something that would help with the shower curtains I guess. I haven’t worked this idea out as much as the wish-taking one.”

1981 – Diligent Aperture engineers complete the Heimlich Counter-Maneuver and Take-A-Wish Foundation initiatives. The company announces products related to the research in a lavish, televised ceremony. These products immediately become wildly unpopular. After a very public string of choking and despondent sick child disasters, senior company officials are summoned before a Senate investigative committee. During these proceedings, an engineer mentions that some progress has been made on "Tier 3", the “man-sized ad hoc quantum tunnel through physical space with possible applications as a shower curtain.” The committee is quickly and permanently recessed, and Aperture is granted an open-ended contract to continue research on the “Portal” and "Heimlich Counter-Maneuver" projects in secret.

1981-1985 – Work progresses on the “Portal” project. Several high ranking Fatah personnel choke to death on lamb chunks despite the intervention of their bodyguards.

1986 – Word reaches Aperture management that another defense contractor called Black Mesa is working on a similar portal technology. In response to this news, Aperture begins developing the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System (GLaDOS), an artificially intelligent research assistant and disk operating system.

1996 – After a decade spent bringing the disk operating parts of GLaDOS to a state of more or less basic functionality, work begins on the Genetic Lifeform component.

1998 – The untested AI is activated for the first time as one of the planned activities on Aperture’s first annual bring-your-daughter-to-work day. In many ways, the initial test goes well: Within one picosecond of being switched on, GLaDOS becomes self-aware. The "going well" phase lasts for two more picoseconds, at which point GLaDOS takes control of the facility, locks everyone inside, and begins a permanent cycle of testing. Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world.

Still interested in Aperture? Keep an eye on the official Aperture Science website, which Valve occasionally updates with new content.

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/arch ... story.aspx

:D

Fri May 21, 2010 8:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
OK, that is officially freaky, I'd literally just remembered about it and went off to find a read it, then came on here...

Fri May 21, 2010 8:51 pm 

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Skillers wrote:
OK, that is officially freaky, I'd literally just remembered about it and went off to find a read it, then came on here...

That'll be the satellite. Be careful what you think about... :blameskillers:

Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Any one else recognise that image as one of the ones stolen from the BBS system? :P If I recall, the latter was supposedly Gordon Freeman >_> Which it blatantly wasn't :D

Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

What image?

Sat May 22, 2010 11:26 am 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Skillers wrote:
What image?

THAT image, the only IMAGE on this bloody page >_<

Sat May 22, 2010 12:47 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Erm, don't see what that's got to do with Gordon Freeman, but it probably is from the BBS, seeing as this article is from GameInormer's Portal 2 announcement stuff. The text itself is originally from the Aperture Science website.

Sat May 22, 2010 1:37 pm 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Skillers wrote:
Erm, don't see what that's got to do with Gordon Freeman, but it probably is from the BBS, seeing as this article is from GameInormer's Portal 2 announcement stuff. The text itself is originally from the Aperture Science website.

.... When that image came out of the BBS... People said that the latter half of that image looked like Gordon Freeman... Therefore, I said what I said >_<

I haven't seen the images in this way before, only the ASCII artwork...

Sat May 22, 2010 6:46 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Heh, even in ASCII mode, I have no idea how people could think that ><

Also, I'm pretty sure they've released most the original artwork for the ASCII now.

Sat May 22, 2010 7:14 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I didn't see this coming, honest.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:56 pm 

Saw it coming.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Found the full press release, some Valve Time refences, quite amusing:

Quote:
VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD

June 9, 2010 — Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won’t instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

“Also, the game will be even better,” they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm 

They also mentioned that the surprise is Portal 2 related I believe, to quell the 'it is Episode 3' rumours.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah, yes, I missed that in copying, sorry:

Quote:
To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: BartmanTaz
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU!

RAGE!

ARGH!

Voted for and funded by Scottie UK Ltd.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:51 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

http://kotaku.com/5615741/portal-2-out-in-february

Release date of Feb now.

Also a shaky cam vid of some new footage (some of it is similar to previous footage, but it is new). It's looking very good, and a lot more visually interesting aswell. I'm liking the style direction, and the new features look fun.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Coop trailer?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclu ... l-2/703300

Coop trailer.

Looks pretty cool. Only real thing of note is that the short fat robot fires 2 blue portals, one darker than the other. I would imagine the other fires orange portals (that also matches their eye colours).

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:09 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Some coop videos:

http://kotaku.com/5629908/four-mildly-h ... +op-levels

and screenies:

http://kotaku.com/5629879/new-portal-2- ... x/gallery/

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:55 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Valve sure do make good trailers:

Watch this video on Youtube.

(New, extended coop trailer)

Here's the article I got it from, also has some wobblecam footage of a demonstration:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09 ... t-charmer/

One little comment of note:
"Coop is about twice the length of Portal 1 single player and the Portal 2 single player is about twice that length aswell."

Can't quite figure out if he means the P2 SP will be ~6 or ~12 hours.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:27 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I can't remember if this video got put in this thread, don't think so. So...

Saw this yesterday on Valves YT channel and tbh I prefer the Valve guy as Wheatley

Watch this video on Youtube.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

They had that voice in some videos a while ago (I think I actually saw that video). TBH, I think the voice is fine either way and really don't have any preference ><

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hmm, sure am looking forward to that February release date!

Oh, wait...

Valve wrote:
VALVE ANNOUNCES SHORTEST DELAY IN VALVE HISTORY

Valve today announced that Portal 2 — the sequel to the ground-breaking title that won over 30 game of the year awards, despite missing its original ship date — will now be available the week of April 18th, 2011. This two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve’s proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date.

For more information, please visit www.thinkwithportals.com

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
For anyone who doesn't already know and it affects:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... m-play.ars

I'm still just waiting for PC preorders :P

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next