It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Post subject: Re: Portal update -> Portal 2 Announced

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
This is part of the ARG, which we have been discussing here. There is a possibility they are going to release Portal 2 today, but it could very easily be something else.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
Played probs 45 mins of it and it's really good :D (but gotta have breakfast and shizz now :P)

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Bout 3.5 hours in myself, stopping for lunch and I think it's pretty excellent so far.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:05 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well, so much for 3x as long as Portal 1, only took about 6 hours. Though I guess Portal 1 could be considered 2 hours long. Ah well, onto coop!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
started at 9:30 finished 16:15. completed single player

Excellent

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:28 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
lol

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
kyhas wrote:
started at 9:30 finished 16:15. completed single player

Excellent

I'm now finished too :)

Was pretty nice story. I lolled at several places :)

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stephen Merchant has made me lol a few times ;D

Not finished yet, playing it slowly. :D

*though 6 hours still seems short? Hopefully the mp is good :P

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:27 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Judging by the other comments in this thread and from other websites it seems the average time is closer to 7 or 8 hours, I must have just been going quick without realizing ><

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:32 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Just played the coop, took about 4.5 hours. Was a lot more puzzly than the SP, which seemed quite story focussed.

All in all, a very good game. I hope they release some advanced chambers and stuff (maybe the levels they show in the trailers, which aren't in the game).

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

I'm not saying it's a very good game. It is. But ~£25 for ~11 hours seems a little steep to me. I buy very few PC games nowadays because I feel that games just aren't worth that much as playtime seems to be getting less and less :s.

I appreciate portal is unique as it's far different from say, a typical fps, and obviously if the game were too long it would get too repetitive etc. But I can't help but think that much money is too much for such a short game.

p.s loving it atm, got just past test chamber 16 I believe and then went drinking ^_^_^

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

It was a bit shorter than I'd hoped (I was thinking 15 hours), but they were definitely very fun hours and I'm happy with it. I also trust there will be plenty of extra content for it, if not Valve free DLC (which I definitely think will happen), there will atleast be a ton of quality user maps.

I should actually make another point about length: I did feel it was too short, but not because of the straight up length, but because by the time everything (new testing elements) had been properly introduced, the game finished without a chance to properly explore the combinations and stuff. The speed of introduction was right, just they never got a chance to finish using it: There was too much added for the length. I felt this was somewhat rectified in the coop (the coop levels were significantly harder, and the constant puzzle-puzzle-puzzle factor helped keep the difficulty up, as opposed to the story-puzzle-story of the SP [though I thought the story was really well done and actually quite interesting]). As I said, I really do hope Valve release something akin to the advanced levels of Portal 1 to just have more puzzles and let the concepts get explored properly.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

So basically, buy this game in the sale :)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I would say it was worth the £25 I paid for it, but definitely do buy it when it goes on sale. It needs a bit more content, but I'm pretty sure that will get added.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Valve are pretty good with value for money. When you look at all the free additional content that got loaded in to TF2, even if you paid full price for it when it released, it was well worth the money. I think Portal 2 will follow this trend. I hope it does.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:48 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

They haven't yet topped the \orange Box fo value (they've released 3 full price standalone games since), but I do think P2 will be worth the money soon, even if it isn't already.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
Personally, I'm currently waiting for the Portal2 SDK and user created coop maps. Hopefully a lot like the last one will be made :P

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:05 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, I'm hoping Valve do what they did with TF2 aswell - start including the best custom maps.

Also did anyone else notice they didn't use the energy balls in this one, and were glad of it?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 am 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Skillers wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping Valve do what they did with TF2 aswell - start including the best custom maps.

Your statement had me worried for a moment, thanks for clarifying.

Oh wait, they already have started doing what they did with TF2- god. damn. mother. f*cking. hats!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Skillers wrote:

Also did anyone else notice they didn't use the energy balls in this one, and were glad of it?

I read somewhere that energy balls are 'in' the game, just not part of any of the official levels. ie custom maps could still include them.

Also, I personally can't wait for the SDK. I really hope they'll include some easy way to set up panel animation and so on for levels. :D

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:14 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, there would be little point taking them out. They even have the collector and emitter models in the actual game (first level with the lasers is actually the same as the first levels with the balls from Portal 1 - you see the old devices pulled out). I would also imagine the pneumatic diversity vent is still in the game, just wasn't used.

i've heard here and there that there's going to be quite a sizable update for the SDK for Portal 2, so you may get your wish.

As for hats, eh, I don't really care, I see it as sort of a tip jar, not like you in anyway need them and it's not like you're missing out on anything if you don't get them.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 pm 

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Skillers wrote:

I just thought the laser beams were the orbs tbh :/ They are pretty analogous to one another.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:35 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, I figured they'd replaced them with the lasers, which I liked. It stopped there being puzzles about avoiding the orbs or bouncing them off surfaces or indeed timing them going through portals.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:52 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

you are all sinners

http://christwire.org/2011/04/is-portal ... in-family/

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I knew that site was a parody, but I'd never actually read an article until today. Unfortunately it seems to go a bit too far to be believable.

EDIT: Looking at the comments, it isn't quite far enough ><

Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:06 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next