It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Hearthstone?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Anyone been playing this? A fairly casual CCG from Blizzard based upon the Warcraft franchise. It's free to play and currently in open beta (get it here). The gameplay is much simpler than most card games, but with a lot of nuances and interactions that make it interesting.

If you do play, feel free to add me -> Skillers#2651

A bit more information about the game etc:

Decks are made up of 30 cards, with a maximum of two of any card (one for legendaries) and can be minions, spells or weapons (which allow your hero to attack). There are 9 heroes, each with a special ability costing 2 mana which can be used once per turn (these abilites are much less cost effective than cards), the heroes also each have a pool of cards unique to them, along with the neutral cards that are available to everyone. You gain one mana crystal per turn, up to a maximum of ten. An interesting feature is that the player who goes second gets an extra starting card in their hand (4 instead of 3) and a special card that gives 1 extra mana for one turn to try and offset the advantage of going first.

The free to play model seems pretty fair - you start off with a decent selection of basic cards and can earn a few more by playing each class a bit (same cards for all players). You can then buy packs of 5 cards for 100g (ingame currency) or £1 per pack (cheaper if you buy more, minimum of 2 packs). Gold is earned at a decent rate - you get 10g for every 3 wins in normal plays and you get one (fairly easy - usually 2 wins across 2 heroes) quest per day that gives you 40g and you can delay doing them (you can have up to 3 active at once). You also get a bunch of gold (500ish and a pack) from doing starting stuff.

There is also an arena mode (costs 150g or £1.49 to enter), which is a drafting mode. You get a choice of 3 heroes then get to choose 1 of 3 cards 30 times (the cards can be neutrals or your hero specific ones and will all be of the same rarity for each choice - i.e. you might get to pick from 3 legendaries on one turn) and then you get to play that deck for up to 12 wins or 3 losses, whichever comes first, after which you get a reward that varies based on how well you do - always one pack and some amount of gold (3 wins will give you ~50g, making the arena run equal value to buying packs and at 7 wins you will get ~150g, allowing you to constantly run arenas). It seems that the people you get matched against will be at a similar point, so as you get further you have a higher chance of facing better decks and players.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Hearthstone?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Well, if anyone is actually reading this, my first arena run went OK.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 am