It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post Post subject: Re: Crysis

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

brataccas wrote:
the rest is spyware :)

Have you actually played the demo yet? :P

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:58 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I'm going to try to play the demo tonight on maximum detail. I mean maximum maximum detail, like 2560x1600 with the highest anti-aliasing and anisotropic-filtering possible. I've only got the 1 8800 Ultra card, remember, but I've received my extra 2GB of RAM today, which I will be installing tonight! Vista needs it...

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:32 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I now have 2 multiplayer beta keys!

Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:00 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Hmm, strange, is your sandbox a separate file?

Also, I probably wouldn't mind liberating you of that key, even though it will require more downloading, hmm.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:42 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well I've played some more and have some other random observations;

Trees don't like water. Seriously. The first combat beach area with the radar jammer has some trees hanging over the water (to the left as you drop down). I chopped these off at the bottom and they started to fall, stopped, spun round in mid air and then landed out of the main water.

Destruction isn't actually dynamic. The buildings are infact made of lots and lots of pieces that it breaks down into when damaged, then the individual pieces are affected by physics. Some pieces have preset deformed states. Well I found one piece that deformed in one way (it was a metal roof).

While trees can be cut down, nothing else can be broken, AFAIK. I tried cutting a support beam and nothing happened.

Animals are as good as dead when you pick them up, they die as soon as they hit the ground when you throw them (even lightly). Also, if you hit another animal, it will die aswell.

Well those are some observations from my destructathon. Slightly critical, but it was fun doing this stuff.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yeah, Crysis has a good physics engine, but it's not as in-depth as the PhysX API for example. We'll likely see more in the full game.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:59 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
So, what are you doing with that other code then... I think playing against yourself would be funny

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Skillers wrote:
Animals are as good as dead when you pick them up, they die as soon as they hit the ground when you throw them (even lightly). Also, if you hit another animal, it will die aswell.

Press secondary fire to put the animal down safely. :P

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

It's good, but appears to be lacking and slightly buggy.

I have no idea what Si is on about.

They didn't say that at all in the game! Ah well, my point was these animals are a bit puny. Even the big turtle can't take a little throw, pathetic. LOL

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Are you talking from past experiences?

Do I need to get the RSPCA involved?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well I did get bored and started abusing the animals ingame, but none IRL. But really, a turtle should withstand more than that.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:29 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I dare you (not) to prove that theory!

Also, my system cannot take 2560x1600 at maximum detail. It crashes... Even with the 4GB of RAM.

Also v2, Gamespot have a nice spoiler on what happens after the demo ends... http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis ... news;title

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:43 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Was round Wigo's today where we decided to fiddle with some of the sandbox features. Namely tanks, helicopters, miniguns and rocket launchers (couldn't get the alien weapons to work).Was a fair bit of fun! Might try playing the SP with an "improved" arsenal.

I'm not going to read those spoilers (can't be bothered and don't want to spoil it).

One thing I have found, though, is that you can use the config files to set XP game to nearly DX10 quality, proving that the very high settings don't need DX10 to work. Some effects of course, don't work, but a lot do.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:40 pm 

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Skillers wrote:
One thing I have found, though, is that you can use the config files to set XP game to nearly DX10 quality, proving that the very high settings don't need DX10 to work. Some effects of course, don't work, but a lot do.

Quote:
After fighting your way through the Crysis demo this weekend, you might be considering upgrading to a DirectX 10 card and Windows Vista to see the awesome graphics in their full glory, but it turns out that you can actually turn them on in Windows XP.

Some gamers have been misled by the Crysis demo’s Advanced System Options, which don’t allow you to select the Very High settings in Windows XP, even though you can in Vista. This implies that the effects require a DirectX 10 renderer, but gamers over at the Crysis-Online forums have found that you can edit the game’s config files to force on the Very High effects in Windows XP, and it apparently works.

Does this mean you can actually run DirectX 10 games on Windows XP? Nope, but it does mean that the Crysis demo uses DirectX 9, even when using the Very High shader settings in Windows Vista. We haven’t had a chance to test this yet, but we plan to run the demo on identical Windows XP and Vista machines to see if there are any visual differences, as well as performance differences with Very High shaders enabled.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Exactly right, bratty!

Anyway, I was playing a bit more. Lets just say I found the nuke launcher...

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:25 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

And ain't it just underpowered...

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Skillers wrote:

*cough* showed you that on the InCrysis forums *cough*

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11551

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, it's incredibly underpowered. It doesn't even annihilate all the beach huts or kill everyone. Such a rubbish blast radius. Gauss gun + scope is good, though.

Met, I already knew that before you showed me, I found it myself, check the post dates ;)

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I completed the demo in Delta mode last night. Not actually that difficult!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:26 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Skillers wrote:
Yeah, it's incredibly underpowered. It doesn't even annihilate all the beach huts or kill everyone. Such a rubbish blast radius. Gauss gun + scope is good, though.

Met, I already knew that before you showed me, I found it myself, check the post dates ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the nuke launcher is underpowered because it was never really intended for use in the demo. It is merely there for players to mess with.

In the beta, while there was no physics, the damage radius was rather huge imo.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Well in the demo it barely takes out anything. It doesn't kill people unless they are fairly close to it and the shockwave doesn't take out many buildings. I hope that it is just to do with the demo.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:39 pm 

Skillers wrote:
Well in the demo it barely takes out anything. It doesn't kill people unless they are fairly close to it and the shockwave doesn't take out many buildings. I hope that it is just to do with the demo.

I'm pretty certain it is. Also, apparantly the game has received 98% in a PCGamer US review.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

98%.... Interesting. I somehow doubt it's that good, though, the story doesn't seem to have much to it. I would say 90s, but 98% is probably going to be a bit much.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:57 pm 

We will see. :P

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

We will indeed, but I sincerely doubt it will be that good...

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:47 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next