It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post Post subject: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Just thought I'd give it a mention on these forums. It's extremely underrated, and I think that anyone who enjoyed the original Transport Tycoon game will absolutely adore this game.

There are lots of reviews out there, so I suggest you read them (and read a few of them, because there's quite a bit of variation), I just thought that I'd give it my opinion. It's brilliant!

It's just as playable and replayable as the original Transport Tycoon. Also -- the lack of changes with the graphics is most definitely *not* a downside to this game. This type of game has always been something more than just flashy graphics -- it would make it more mainstream, more 'samey' and ultimately less enjoyable.

I've always enjoyed Chris Sawyer's creations, and this is by far the best one! So forget what people say about isometric grid based strategy games being out of fashion -- this game is more than just stupid aesthetics; it's highly enjoyable... It comes with network play!! ... Not that I've figured out how to do this yet...

Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Hmm, It does like like a good game, with a fair bit of improvement over TT, maybe I should give it a look...

Oh, and I agree, good graphics =/= good game.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:55 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Just found out how to get the multiplayer mode, so I'll be playing this with my girlfriend some time soon... I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd better not start crashing trains in to her, she'll get angry with me!

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:58 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Hehe! The old train trick. Love using that, so effective!

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:52 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
What old train trick?

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Where you get trains to run on to your competitors tracks so that they crash and boom. Good if you have made a bit of money and want to annoy someone or make the computer 'give up'.

Also, on Locomotion, trains automatically stop at lights.. although there is an override for this by pressing the 'ignore signal' button, there is another way ... Hold down INS and type DRIVER, then release INS... Then you can control the train in manual mode, adjusting throttle and brake... BOOM!

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:21 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Yeah, I read about that at Chris Sawyers site. He said it was INS and the shunt button though. I so want Locomotion! It is the next best thing to TTDLX!

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:25 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yeah he has the DRIVER bit just above. The Chris Sawyer site is excellent. I love to see people like Chris in the world -- it's amazing to think that he spent a few years at university, and went on to make the best selling games of his time. Truly wow'ing!

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

There's that train trick and the destroy-the-busses one!

Surely locomotion is better than TTDLX, as it just appears to be TTDLX with some of the problems (bridge height and stuff) solved, making it a lot less annoying on mountainous maps.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:58 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yeah, Locomotion definitely has improved on that :)

Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:24 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I just downloaded the demo, and it is EXACTLY like RCT 2 (well, it is based on it's engine)! It just looks as though it's been re-skinned with a couple of bits added on/removed, but that's a good thing, as RCT 2 was awesome. The only problem was how big everything was, which makes it look clunky (e.g a train carriage takes up 2 squares instead of the 1/2 square on TTDLX).

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:08 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I've got the demo of RCT2, and must say that the Locomotion graphics have been improved a lot over the ones seen in RCT2. Notice the trees and water. Also, you gotta love how you can build track pretty much anywhere, as long as you got cash.

The scenario's are pretty fun on Loco, also, yet I haven't got around to completing many of them yet; only the 3 beginner ones, and 2 of the easy ones. Desert Delerium went very well for me.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

There is a point to playing Loco thn? TTDLX was just pick and go with no real point, exept to get high scores. What are the scenarios like?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

The scenarios (from what I've seen in the demo), are like RCT (2 - same arrangement) secenarios, with objectives like "get a company rating of 70%", sometimes with time limits.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:53 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yes, also there are scenarios such as 'achieve a monthly income of ?10k from your vehicles and make top place in the companies list'.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:43 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Ahh. So they are easy peasy! I rule at the company value ones.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:46 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Wait, only 10K? In the demo I had a train that made 6K per trip, and it did a lot of trips.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:06 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

6K Yen? If you mean the Coal train, with 6 wagons brings in about ?700/trip I think.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

No, pounds. I was using the default currency. It was an eight wagon coal train, IIRC (don't have a save). The amount you make is dependant on distance and speed, remember, and I had it on full load, meaning it always made the same amout, give or take a couple of quid for slight changes in speed.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:46 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I found that having any more than 5 or 6 wagons would mean that you'd have an empty wagon or two after not long, unless your coal mine had a lucky growth spurt.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

As I said, I had it on full load, meaning it waited until it had enough coal.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:57 pm 

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

I hate the full load command. I think it wastes time and money. When the train is in the station NOT moving it still costs money to run! So i just say load all you can and then leg it. That way you probably move the same amount f coalin at a faster speed.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I agree with you Starbucks. Also, even while waiting in the station -- your rating goes down. Therefore less is available for you to pick up. It's good if you've got a serious producer. The oilfields in Desert Delerium are great!!!

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:25 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Why? Do they produce LOADS of oil then? Enough to fill 4 trains with like 8 wagons on?

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yes. I will post my screenshot of approx 12 trains each with 6 or 7 tankers on it when I get back home. The track was mental, with bridges all over the place. Mind you - I was rich beyond belief!

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:28 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next