It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Would you like to see an increase in the slot count?
Not bothered 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
No 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes - 18 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Yes - 20 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Yes - 22 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Yes - 24 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
Yes - 26 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes - 28 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes - 30+ 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post Post subject: Techious Team Fortress 2 Slot count increase?

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Please leave a comment if you'd like to see a slot count change and by how much, oh and vote!
Also, made this since 89% (fact) of people said yes/maybe.

I made it so you can vote for three, but don't be a tool voting for no/notbothered/24 etc

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Techious Team Fortress 2 Slot count increase?

Mega Poster
Mega Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I have to say that the lower slot count is working rather well, and I think 24 might be a bit much. 16 can be frustrating for wanting to join the server, when it's full, as most of the regulars will fill it up.
18-20 slots might make it a bit easier to join, and mean more people can play at once while retaining the niceties of a low slot count!

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 pm 

Mega Poster
Mega Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: lamsey
I'd like 18 as the idea of "one of every class" (Highlander?) teams appeals to me. I think that any more than that would get very crowded on the smaller maps (e.g. Nucleus, Turbine).

If we go 32-player, or anywhere near it, I'll be looking for another server. It's too crowded with that number of people on all but the largest maps.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Lamsey wrote:
If we go 32-player, or anywhere near it, I'll be looking for another server. It's too crowded with that number of people on all but the largest maps.

Agreed. Doesn't mean I should exclude it cause I didn't want it though :3

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Didn't say you should, just expressing my opinion :3

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:53 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Opinion? NOPE.
/Hipster

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:03 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Poster
Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Savant231a
24 is for pros

voted 30+ for trolling purposes

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Lugash
Door wrote:
16 can be frustrating for wanting to join the server, when it's full, as most of the regulars will fill it up.

Lamsey wrote:
If we go 32-player... ...It's too crowded with that number of people on all but the largest maps.

i agree, we need to find the sweet spot. always being able to join the server would be awesome, but if you get too many people games become chaotic/no fun/unwinnable (think 5 heavies on the cart or the choke points on dustbowl filled with sentries/stickies)
A second server would solve this particular problem, but it comes with its own..

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
I seem to remember that when we had 2 TF2 servers, they only ever got used when we had clan wars, otherwise one would fill and the other would be neglected, as everyone would want to play on the server that had everyone else on.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:22 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
I think 16 slots works well. Anything below 20 I think is good. Highlander = nono though. I don't want to play on a server where I can only be a class if noone else is playing it ><. 32 is terrible on tf2, it's way too cluttered :{. I don't mind waiting to join 16 slots personally, shows the server is doing well xDDD.

Maybe work on some restrictions a bit such as 2 heavies max, 2 medics max. I'd actually only place those restrictions personally. Would keep a nice blend of classes and on the map rotation heavy medic is soooo strong and it's kind of annoying having like 3 on the other team xD.

maybe less engies as well, stops peeps going mass engies which is frustrating to be on your team. Especially when your team is meant to be attacking! ;D

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Aye I wasn't suggesting that we should enforce Highlander mode, but I like the idea of being able to have one of each class (even if it'll rarely happen in practice).

I'm personally against the idea of any class restrictions, as it can get in the way of the inordinate amount of dicking around which we do on the server; a simple example would be 2 heavies max => no sandvich parties in spawn :<

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Lamsey wrote:
I'm personally against the idea of any class restrictions, as it can get in the way of the inordinate amount of dicking around which we do on the server; a simple example would be 2 heavies max => no sandvich parties in spawn :<

Well if your team is in spawn I can't kill you and you won't take as much notice of my bind spam so I don't think this is fun at all wtf.

Personally I think we should add mod where it's sniper only as this would encourage sharp shooting on the server which having seen westerns should only be encouraged.

And like I watched rush hour the other day and jackie chan did this crazy thing where he jumped through a hole in the wall and stuff which proves that if anything there should be no engies because if there was a gun there he would have died and it's jackie chan and he's the hero so if he died that would ruin the film and the viewers entertainment so with no fun server dies and then no slot count will fix that.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
24 is the maximum amount to push it to. 20 seems fine to me. Anything beyond 24 becomes ridiculous.

Regarding class limitations: I'm all for them since certain spammed combinations or spamming a particular class on almost all maps results in an unfair, unfun game. Having restrictions creates a nice diversity between classes. Some classes can remain unrestricted since simply put even if you spam them you have to completely outclass the opponent to do anything at all, otherwise you'll be destroyed (spam Snipers and see how far that gets you).

Regarding maps: we need more fantastic maps to the likes of Badlands, Snakewater, Gullywash, Granary on rotation to add some 5CP goodness to the blend of current maps in my opinion.

And give Lamsey admin for goodness' sake. He's a trustworthy chap who clearly won't ab <KICKED BY LAMSEY>

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:31 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Hawke, I'm under the impression any donatees get part-admin, not sure what specifics they'll get since it's not my call, but I know they'll get kick etc.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Steam Login Name: Suggestive_Leg
Personally I would not push it any further than 24 for many of the reasons already mentioned. Facing up to a team of 16 hoovies is not a very good game. I am all for expanding the community but at the same time I have noticed that higher slot servers attract a special kind of idiot. I may sound like I am being an elitist prick, I know - but this judgement is based on previous experiences. It can work - but I would rather not go through the trial and error to find out.

Re: donators getting part admin - bad idea IMO. I also believe that Liam should get admin simply because, but you have to be careful that people dont donate just so they can piss everyone else off with map changes and kickbans that arent needed

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:24 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

In the past, donators got admin for certain servers and so on, but I wasn't aware that was going to be the case this time (it caused issues last time). Anyway, people shouldn't be donating for power, they should be donating because they want to keep servers going.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:03 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Oh Behave!
Oh Behave!

Steam Login Name: Lugash
Wynney wrote:
there should be no engies because if there was a gun there he would have died and it's jackie chan

cant really argue with that logic.

i like the idea of restrictions myself because of how boring or chaotic the game can be if you abuse classes. Place 5 sentries at a point and half the classes on the enemy team become redundant. But equally not being able to go the class you want isnt fun (assuming we are aiming for fun), and neither is needing someone for a specific role and those people are afk/bad/dicking around. so i'm really not sure (or too bothered) atm.

Only thing on the server i really don't like is RTD, we voted it off awhile ago but it has found its way back on again regardless. It seems popular somehow so i can put aside my hatred for this idiotic mod if people want it, but is there anyway to tune the rewards? instakill/godmode/noclip. seem kinda retarded, would it be possible to change those with something less insane like faster running speed, Higher HP or no reload? there should also be an equal number of negative results (not sure if they is already as I've never used the mod.) I don't know if this is even possible but a man can dream.

I digress, 20-24 slots seems ok to me :P

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:07 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Also, sorry forgot to post it on here. I paramahphrased, badly.
People who donate and are trusted might get some adminships for some servers.

Mc, I do believe it is for fun, a lot of the things we are 'fun' (not as in playing the game), but casually doing random stuff, like heavy parties etc that are spontaneous.
Yeah, RTD is retarded as hell (noclip as spy, kill engy, kill all of his stuff on last point, kill most people protecting and I got 3/4 of a cap that way, when we couldn't even push half the way etc, was a good map ;D)

The general slot increase seems like a good idea though, yay!

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Harry wrote:
Hawke, I'm under the impression any donatees get part-admin, not sure what specifics they'll get since it's not my call, but I know they'll get kick etc.

Well Lamsey deserves full since:
1. He's probably one of the most active community members towards the server.
2. He helped us out a great deal at the LAN
3. He's a nice guy when you look past all the "HELLO YOU APPEAR TO BE A SPY!" shouting :P

Suggestive wrote:
Personally I would not push it any further than 24 for many of the reasons already mentioned. Facing up to a team of 16 hoovies is not a very good game. I am all for expanding the community but at the same time I have noticed that higher slot servers attract a special kind of idiot. I may sound like I am being an elitist prick, I know - but this judgement is based on previous experiences. It can work - but I would rather not go through the trial and error to find out.

Re: donators getting part admin - bad idea IMO. I also believe that Liam should get admin simply because, but you have to be careful that people dont donate just so they can piss everyone else off with map changes and kickbans that arent needed

Facing anything beyond 2 Heavies isn't a very good game in my opinion. And you're not far off the money regarding 32man servers attracting griefers and the like. That and 32man servers are apparently unplayable to most people that don't use an fps config simply due to the clusterf*** nature of the game in its current condition with about 90% of the models now having no LODs at all. Most of the hats apparently have more polygons than the actual characters themselves at full detail, and you're rendering them all at full detail regardless of how far away they are etc. Yeah, TF2 ain't optimised and it's a reason VALVe now warn people who enter any server that has more then 24 slots.
We can expand the community gradually, it doesn't have to inflate to Skillers' ego size asap, it can grow like... hard to not think of a sexual metaphor here... but yeah that's my opinion anyway.
And if people donate for power, we can keep their money and remove their power for abusing it. Just throw it under terms and conditions that if you abuse it, you lose it with no refund.

McWill wrote:
cant really argue with that logic.

i like the idea of restrictions myself because of how boring or chaotic the game can be if you abuse classes. Place 5 sentries at a point and half the classes on the enemy team become redundant. But equally not being able to go the class you want isnt fun (assuming we are aiming for fun), and neither is needing someone for a specific role and those people are afk/bad/dicking around. so i'm really not sure (or too bothered) atm.

Only thing on the server i really don't like is RTD, we voted it off awhile ago but it has found its way back on again regardless. It seems popular somehow so i can put aside my hatred for this idiotic mod if people want it, but is there anyway to tune the rewards? instakill/godmode/noclip. seem kinda retarded, would it be possible to change those with something less insane like faster running speed, Higher HP or no reload? there should also be an equal number of negative results (not sure if they is already as I've never used the mod.) I don't know if this is even possible but a man can dream.

I digress, 20-24 slots seems ok to me :P

It can be argued either way. Leave no restrictions, and you'll see abusive tactics thanks to class spam inherently being imbalanced for a lot of the classes. Mass Soldier/Heavy/Demoman/Engineer are the biggest most obvious culprits that always get rewards when spammed for little effort on our rotation (apart from a few maps). Restrict them however and people will complain that they can't play their classes etc etc.
In the end, I only think Heavy and Engineer should be restricted to 2. On our server, they're the only culprits that create serious problems when spammed. But that's just my opinion.

Regarding RTD, I thought it killed the server and had to be permanently off? If it's back, some of the rewards I'd love to see removed. Godmode, instakills, forcecrits and noclip are just unbelievable when get them (then again, I hate all random luck elements, and there's a lot in TF2 already without adding RTD). If people want it, I can put up with it (same thing as crits even though apparently people refused a TEST NIGHT where crits were turned off to see how the server played out).

SERIOUS HAWKE IS SERIOUS OMG!

Harry wrote:
Also, sorry forgot to post it on here. I paramahphrased, badly.
People who donate and are trusted might get some adminships for some servers.

Mc, I do believe it is for fun, a lot of the things we are 'fun' (not as in playing the game), but casually doing random stuff, like heavy parties etc that are spontaneous.
Yeah, RTD is retarded as hell (noclip as spy, kill engy, kill all of his stuff on last point, kill most people protecting and I got 3/4 of a cap that way, when we couldn't even push half the way etc, was a good map ;D)

The general slot increase seems like a good idea though, yay!

Fun is subjective, so we can't really ever use "but it's fun!" as an argument for anything. I don't find crits fun in any way, others would beg to differ, so in the end fun isn't a good argument in my opinion.

And a slot increase would be good. Looks like from the vote that 20 seems about right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Since I care not for restrictions etc, i'll leave it out.

Yeah, fun is subjective. I'd like a system similar to the CSS UKCS thing, where you have 'preference points'.
Instead of it being based on an active vote, you choose if you want friendly fire on, and if the totals add up to X percent, then FF is enabled etc. Could be useful or nice?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Have a vote on forums for this kind of stuff, things like voting menus don't work well because i spam buttons constantly and people only ever press 1 anyway.

If majority want RTD/a map/ whatever on then put it on. If not, leave it off.

It's impossible to please everyone with map choices etc and it's pointless to try to. Not everyone will like RTD and so on. Whatever the majority of people want is what we should have on, included class restrictions, crits and so on. It's pointless really discussing it to try and come to a conclusion because not everyone will always agree :)

As for the fun is subjective thing, yes I guess. But if you all join the server to do fist wars!! 1111!11 xDDd!d!ed!D or whatever the <LOOK MA, I AM SWEARING> the random thing you're doing is then that's fine. Don't expect everyone else to do so though :).

I've joined the server on at least 3 occasions where people are like oh we have to be serious now do we -_____- simply for the fact I've capped a point.

Sorry - this is stupid as <LOOK MA, I AM SWEARING>.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:30 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Wynney, that was the idea of implenting a system that I wrote about, if enough people have their preference set for things like RTD, crits and maybe class restrictions (somehow).

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

dar but we don't need a plugin on the server to do that. Can do it on the forums perfectly fine :).

I think the less plugins on the server the better personally ^_^. I don't want to have to vote on 4 menus per map as well for stuff like rtd etc :(

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Oh no, it's not at the start of the round/map, it's passive and you just type something into chat, like '!preferences' and the menu will appear, and having it on the forums won't accommodate for randomers?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail