It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Re: Techious Server Donation

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I think we don't play a fair few games, since we'd have to either join a random server that's most likely not to our liking (or where we can do nothing to cheaters) etc etc. And having something such as a larger tf2/CSS server would help build the community, cause when the regulars are on TF2 (saturdays especially), we get like 2 or 3 randomers at most, not exactly helpful for community building.

Also, the minecraft server keeps filling up the VPS and usually whenever minecraft dies, it's due to the VPS dieing/lagging out so the website has the same symptoms. So if people will still play (definately will when 1.9 comes out), i'd say (imo) minecraft should be important.

Edit: Harry's on the top of page 3 :3

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:40 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
I'm going to have to disagree with the argument that games aren't played because we don't have servers. If people wanted to play the game they would play it, e.g. l4d2 I believe I probably play more than most of the current community put together. If we suddenly get a l4d2 server, it won't make Will play any more. If Will played a lot of l4d2, got frustrated with playing with randomers / random mods. Then he'd consider a server. But he doesn't think oh I will get a server then I will play X.

As a community, we grew playing on servers on the like of JH and NiF (ex GR) and then because we played the game so much, we looked into getting a server. I don't think man if only I bought this Gmod server I'd play the game more. I will just play gmod when I wanted to, and when consistently there are many people playing it - then a server can be looked into.

Maybe extend the slots to get some more randomers - but all the people who currently are regs started off as randomers. Slot sizes have to be managed carefully. If those 1-2 randomers are on and enjoy the server - they will add it to their favourites

If we were to get a, for instance, 20 man css server, then you only get regs from people a) filling it and b) randomers joining the server and liking it. The server wouldn't be filled except for a few random nights and I say this based on the fact css isn't played.

We used to have css and it was never filled. The only people playing css played mixes and therefore didn't give a <LOOK MA, I AM SWEARING> about public css. We did have a minigame server that was very popular for a few days and got some reg's (joining without us filling the server). But then we never went on it and it slowly died. Man minigame css (piratewars etc) was so epic XD.

As for the minecraft server - yes, people should chip in together. It is played regularly and by many people. As such there is demand for a server. Boom.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Wynney wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with the argument that games aren't played because we don't have servers. If people wanted to play the game they would play it, e.g. l4d2 I believe I probably play more than most of the current community put together. If we suddenly get a l4d2 server, it won't make Will play any more. If Will played a lot of l4d2, got frustrated with playing with randomers / random mods. Then he'd consider a server. But he doesn't think oh I will get a server then I will play X.

In those words, I agree. And yeah, i'd say minecraft is rather a high priority.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
Harry wrote:
Wynney wrote:

In those words, I agree. And yeah, i'd say minecraft is rather a high priority.

How many people play minecraft on a regular basis, then can get an idea for how many slots are needed and look at the prices :).

I also have minecraft xd. It's quite fun. So I might pop onto a TCHS server sometime if there was one. But more likely to mess around with uni friends on a server ^^.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:55 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

On a regular basis, as in daily?
I'd say 2 or 3 (Schlurbi, Will (not mc) and Nick) that's without - "Guys, get in minecraft" OR loads of people being on, so joining anyway.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 pm 
 Profile E-mail