All times are UTC

FPS - Computer or Console?
Computer 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
Console 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post Post subject: Re: Weekly Poll: FPS - Computer or Console

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
q is often switch....but on many pc games q can be used to sneak look out to the left (like when looking behind a wall u can use it to peek and stuff).

console games, right trigger is always shoot, left trigger generally grenade, etc. etc etc. it would be stupid to say one is more generic than another. every game is different.

oh and try playing fifa on a pc, cos its bloody impossible.....

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Actually, Q seems to only be quickswitch on source games. Numbers and wheel are always weapon select. IF the game has leaning, Q and E are always the lean buttons (makes sense), but they are set to the most useful commands if it doesn't have leaning (use, quickswitch etc). R is always reload. F can be light or use (E can be use aswell). Space is always jump. Fire is always LMB, secondary fire is always RMB (games that don't have secondary fire modes often switch this to nade).

One thing I can say about controls is that they seem to be a lot more customisable on the PC, so if you have a preferred setup, you can quite easily set it up.

I'm not sure how generic consoles are, but having a trigger = shoot is just the same as mouse on PC.

And Fifa isn't an FPS.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:49 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: wigouche
in the game i played dnt ask me wha it was cause i cnt remember lol fire whas push the anlog stick in or smin like tht which was realy awcward, and i did say there were 2 main ways the keybord was done well 2 pos functions 4 each of the surounding buttons realy depending on wha was in the game but i mean probable a personal thing i cn prity much pick up ne pc fps n play without thinking about wha im using 2 control everything lol but even after playing 4 2 hour on consol 1s im still constanly aving 2 reminds myself wha butons do wha lol , mm thinking bout it it is a personal thing lol :P but nm lol , im gna randomly bring price in 2 this as a side not now adays u cant get away without a computer of some sort realy as the games themselves cost less and u need a pc 4 so much neway cost wise cost less 2 play games or fpses on the pc 2 lol :P , and fifa was designed as a consol game and 2 my knolege (as with most portaled games ) recomends using a gamepad of sorts 2 play it lol

Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:13 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
By the way, PC wins.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
With 100% of the vote, I'm not surprised it won... democracy worked for once ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: mikefong
CoD4 is awsum on the ps3. and i hear MGS4 is really good as well =]

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:45 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Well... Im bucking the trend

I like my console FPS'... And I wish people wouldnt berate consoles about having controller maps which arent customizable, 100% of games allow you to change what button map you have, its just most people use default. (Tho clicking a stick to shoot as default is wierd)

As Wynney said, Most consoles are pretty generic on there buttons too...One stick is look (generally right stick) and move (auto strafe) is the left one... With spray weaponry (which is far more common on consoles) analogue sticks are better... It really depends on the game, compared to the control system used. I feel i play much better TF2 with the 360 pad than I do with a mouse... And I usually only play Sniper and Soldier on the PC anyway. On the 360 I use a lot more of the classes because I'm more confortable with the way the controls work.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

When we say generic buttons, we don't mean look and move - they're always the same on every game ever (Mouse and WASD for PC, sticks for console), it's more jump, crouch, reload, use etc...

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I find that the PC offers the most comfortable and responsive controller setup/layout. It's the mouse that really gives you the edge in a first person shooter. It's so fast and so accurate. The console controllers simply can't compete, especially when it takes a full 3 seconds just to turn back on yourself...

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:57 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

its what u grow up with in what u will prefer, i dont buy this rubbish about contols being completely different on different console games.

online i would rather play on a pc, single player id rather have a console...

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:02 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I don't know... I think we've all grown up with consoles here ;) and PC wins for me.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:59 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I didn't, only consoles I've had are the various GameBoys (DS included) and the Wii. Oh, and an Atari 2600.

The first FPS I played was Doom, I think, which I used a PC gamepad for, though that was because I didn't really know much back then and I didn't have enough space on my desk for a mouse and keyboard to be used properly.

When I played Halo 3 at a party, I found the controls too inaccurate to use my normal style of hang back and pop them all one by one, and instead had to run in firing madly and then melee. I also found myself getting disorientated quite a lot, simply because I had no muscle measurement of how far I'd turned. With a mouse I know that if I move my mouse so far, I will turn so much (once I've got the sensitivity right for me). I'm sure you can get used to the time taken, but that just seems unnatural - with a mouse I move my arm to move my characters arm. Sure it isn't perfect replication of the movement, but is more accurate than what is effectively telling the person what to do.

For general movement (not aim), I consider the two platforms roughly equal, though I'd argue that WASD is slightly quicker as you can use all your finger. Analogue speed controls confer no benefits in a FPS, as you either want to be going full speed, or using some form of sneak function, which is a button (can't integrate it into the analogue as people would get frustrated if they accidentally slipped and went too fast).

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Skillers wrote:
I also found myself getting disorientated quite a lot, simply because I had no muscle measurement of how far I'd turned. With a mouse I know that if I move my mouse so far, I will turn so much (once I've got the sensitivity right for me). I'm sure you can get used to the time taken, but that just seems unnatural - with a mouse I move my arm to move my characters arm. Sure it isn't perfect replication of the movement, but is more accurate than what is effectively telling the person what to do.

I concur, that is the reason why FPS on PC is in my opinion superior to FPS on console.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

no, but i grew up with consoles, and having switched to pc i really struggled, im assuming this is vice versa for mark as well? like if u play consoles, then go to pc, it seems too responsive? and the other way round for 360.

i dnt really think there is any particular winner overall, just a personal opinion, different types of games vary in how good they are to play depending on what u play it on.

hwv, fps, probably pc, but i only play online pc games so meh lol.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I think that if you're playing only online games on the PC then reaction time is important and a mouse will definitely help there.
Some consoles let you plug in a keyboard and mouse if you find that the console controller isn't to your liking.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

yeh, equally u can use a controller on pc.

mouse is obviously quicker lol, im not saying it isnt!

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I only know of KB/Mouse on the PS3 version of UT3 as a current game.

A point of interest, Crysis has a 360 controller map, if you feel that way inclined. However, the multiplayer has an interesting feature, which is a "controller only" server toggle, but no "mouse only" option.

I see your point about what you're used too, and it probably doesn't help that I'm a twitch gamer (my sensitivity is pretty high), so a console feels really sluggish. Likewise moving from console to PC would be odd.

An interesting thing to see would be what total non gamers take to quicker. Personally, I think they would get the console controls more instinctively, but would be better (against same level enemies, ie NPCs) with a PC once told the controls (WASD isn't obvious).

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 pm