It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Egypt cuts off the Internet (and everything else in Egypt)

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12306041
http://gizmodo.com/5746121/how-egypt-tu ... e-internet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Egypt's cut off the Internet.

I'll be honest, I wasn't focusing too much on what was going on in Egypt, and maybe it's quite bad, but its brought my attention to it more, I remember something about it being illegal to protest, which theres protests about :S

Anyone know more/have better idea what's going on?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Egypt cuts off the Internet (and everything else in Egypt)

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's based on the recent success of the unrest in that other country, the one which toppled their President. I think Egyptian citizens are trying for the same thing. There was a call for a 'day of protest' but I believe it has expanded beyond a single day now. Mass unrest and so on.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Egypt cuts off the Internet (and everything else in Egypt)

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Met got it. A week or so ago there were huge revolts in Tunisia, overthrowing the dictator that was in power there. This has sparked unrest in other Middle-Eastern countries, which has lead to revolts starting in Egypt and unrest in a few other places.

Egypt has had a dictatorship for the last 30yrs (same leader) and is a police state. In an attempt to harm the revolt they have cut off most internet access in the country (apparently dial up still works, and they can't stop satellite telecoms) as it leaves the people disorganised.

We can probably expect to see a lot more of this going on if Egypt is successful - a lot of Arab countries view them as a kind of leader and role model, apparently.

I believe Wikileaks has also been releasing cables about Egypt since the unrest began.

rEDDIT: The first post here seems to have a pretty detailed rundown, if you want more. I know Reddit has been following these events pretty closely.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:26 am 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Egypt has pyramids :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:46 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
Well then they won't have any violence because it's a know fact that's directly related to online gaming

PEACE.

brb off to push a dodo in front of a truck.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 am 
 Profile E-mail