It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Student Protests

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
I'm sure you've heard about them...

What's been going on with you, have you joined your protests, etc.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Student Protests

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Nope, disagree with them too. Especially the people who got violent, sure going to earn the respect of those you're trying to get money off there.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:39 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I like some of the signs, some are clever/witty:
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/Campaigns/Fund ... the-signs/

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
haha that Joker one is amazing

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Haven't joined in, and I disagree with their methods of protesting (violence, what an awesome way to earn the respect and lenience of people).

They even marched into the library with a megaphone shouting their slogans...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:05 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ok I disagree with the violence, but I don't see the harm of a megaphone in a library, its not that much damage surely?

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:10 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Dominating
Dominating
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Littlecook
I 100% agree with them..... as long as no one gets seriously injured or dies!

but at our school, 4 yr12's joined in and the school rang them telling them if they didn't return straight away they would kick them out

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:15 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Si wrote:
Ok I disagree with the violence, but I don't see the harm of a megaphone in a library, its not that much damage surely?

It disturbs the peace :P
And it hurts when they shout into it when you're sat trying to do Differentation right in your ears :(

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:19 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

It is also affecting other people's educations, which is ironic, seeing as that seems to be what they care about so much...

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:21 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
Fees are going up oh no, some dumbass with a single D at A-Levels won't be able to study Media.

My heart bleeds.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:34 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Steam Login Name: sparksftw
I read about this a bit, oh boy tuition fees, i dont think anyone expected this to go down well.

From what i read though, doesnt seem to be much different from our protests(when they ended up wrecking the parliament, way to go, getting the support of the people there, sigh). Signs are awesome, but it really makes me wonder if any of you lot are protesting/know anything more about this

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

I am not protesting, and I haven't seen anything happening here in Newport.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I'm not protesting, and actually disagree with the protests.

My opinion on the rising fees is pretty much on the fence, I can see why it's a bad thing, but it's also not terrible and is blown way out of proportion anyway. Personally, I think the raise may be a bit much, £5-6K cap could be alright, and the system we have now is also good, but at the end of the day it's not a huge difference, and I haven't looked enough into all the details about funding etc to make a truly informed opinion on the exact matter at hand. Also, as an aside, the other main proposal, graduate tax, can get lost. I'm not paying extra for getting a good degree and job, that's retarded (especially when considering the loan system already allows people to not pay it fully and the increasing tax rates for higher earnings).

For a start, it's not stopping anyone going to university. There's still the full loan (which is getting nicer - raised minimum repayment earnings by 6K) available and they're increasing the fund for scholarships.

Also, it might actually serve as an incentive for people to reconsider doing a rubbish degree at a crappy university. There are plenty of other options that are, in many cases, cheaper and better. A university should be an institute for the academically inclined. It is primarily a place of research that trains new people to further the field. It is not a place that everyone should go to. Go get a job or do an apprenticeship if university isn't the right place for you.

At the end of the day, if someone says university is too expensive, then they shouldn't be at university. By saying that they're implying that they've weighed up the cost of the degree, both in time and money, and decided it is not worth said cost. If that's the case, they shouldn't be doing it.

We already have a fantastic (free) primary education system in the UK. Higher education is a choice and one path of many, and should be a privilege for those who will benefit from it, not a right for everyone. As such it should be made readily available to everyone (as it is, the loans system does an excellent job of helping people attend).

Also, when compared with many places around the world, we have it extremely good, having only £12/k/yr costs (at the maximum of the current proposals, including living costs), partly covered and completely offset by the government, compared to e.g. the $50/k/yr the US can have.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: wigouche
iv nott go involved and at swan i think its just been quiet gathering not disruption , to be honest i think the fees need complet rework every1 pays the same fees across the board yet many 3rd years pay the hole current £3000+ fees for the plesure of writine a disatation with little to no help yet or have maybe 2 lecture across the hole year, yet some the engineering cources have 20 - 30 hour of lec very good suport staff so there geting a lot more for the money . i think fees u pay should have at least some baring on what u get not flat rate, i agree with u skilers that not every1 should go 2 uni and that but if u look at the job markets, to many jobs requir a degree most not caring what degree and not in any way making any use of the degree, i mean a art degree is not hoing to help u be a manage and dosnt prove u would b a good 1 cause u can get a degree, in our day and age to get even a wisper of a secured job u need a degree however irelivant, if this wasnt the case then i would agree more to the increase

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:32 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
From a friend on FB:

Quote:
Can you stop inviting to me to all these 'walk outs' please, I don't have time for that I'm trying to get a degree!

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:43 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Wigouche wrote:
to many jobs requir a degree most not caring what degree and not in any way making any use of the degree, i mean a art degree is not hoing to help u be a manage and dosnt prove u would b a good 1 cause u can get a degree, in our day and age to get even a wisper of a secured job u need a degree however irelivant, if this wasnt the case then i would agree more to the increase

And this is a huge problem that needs fixing. Universities and degrees should return to be progression of a career path, not a must have. If less people end up going, this might become the case again.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:03 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Get a degree. Stack shelves!

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:26 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

Was in Nottingham yesterday, there was a little protesting going on, everyone got asked to sign the petition, 'cept me, Strolled through the middle of it, lookin' sharp, nobody dare approach

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:12 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

All of this makes me ask a serious question.

Why not do it like we have it and make university free?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:58 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: wigouche
cause universities unfortunaly cost money to run and thats a lot more than the gov can aford and the increase in fees is so they can basicly pay even less in suport to unis than they do now

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:23 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I actually disagree with making unis in their current state free. As it is, we already encourage too many people to attend university, making it free won't help. If we reduced the number of places drastically, then making it free woulc be good, though at the same time would also cause complaints that universities discriminate too much in ability (seems stupid, but would probably happen).

As it is, I think we need schools to better educate about the various options available after school and to discuss the cost and rewards of university to allow people to be making better decisions.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:03 am 

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Steam Login Name: Boogeyboy40
I participated in the first walkout on wednesday and fully intend to join the next one on tuesday and the one on the 5th of december. I was interviewed on the radio twice and ended up on radio 4, I also spoke on behalf of the students of ipswich at a demonstration organised by the Ipswich Labout Party, Unison and Unite and the Ipswich TUC. You could say I'm getting quite involved

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Warning, rant:

That's another thing, what exactly do student walkouts achieve? You showing you want your education by not attending it? Grade A logic! Same for sit ins - education is so expensive, lets attempt to stop people who actually want to use what they've paid for!

On top of that, I am yet to see an actual reason for the argument "it's stopping the poor going to uni". Nope, it's not. The upfront cost is still exactly the same and the after cost is actually easier to pay (11% [could actually be 9%, I see conflicting numbers] of earnings over 21k, so a 30K earner would be paying £20/wk on repayment, in the current system, a 30K earner pays £32/wk). Also, they are actually increasing the maintenance grants, making it easier for lower earnings families to attend university.

TL;DR: Someone actually explain what is so bad about these proposals besides people not wanting to pay for education. Evidence and references welcome.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:32 pm 

Unstoppable
Unstoppable

Because it's change and because people are REALLY easy to brainwash.

It was the same thing here really.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Skillers wrote:
Warning, rant:

That's another thing, what exactly do student walkouts achieve? You showing you want your education by not attending it? Grade A logic! Same for sit ins - education is so expensive, lets attempt to stop people who actually want to use what they've paid for!

On top of that, I am yet to see an actual reason for the argument "it's stopping the poor going to uni". Nope, it's not. The upfront cost is still exactly the same and the after cost is actually easier to pay (11% [could actually be 9%, I see conflicting numbers] of earnings over 21k, so a 30K earner would be paying £20/wk on repayment, in the current system, a 30K earner pays £32/wk). Also, they are actually increasing the maintenance grants, making it easier for lower earnings families to attend university.

TL;DR: Someone actually explain what is so bad about these proposals besides people not wanting to pay for education. Evidence and references welcome.

Umm... facebook moved something 1 pixel? Think about what I just said and you will see why there are complaints.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail