It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: The missing airliner...

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I've suddenly started keeping track on this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8077437.stm

It has completely vanished, no wreckage, no distress signal. It is suspected that it was struck by lightning and that this caused an electrical fault. However, I read in another article there that planes get struck all the time, a strike should really not bring one down:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8078203.stm

Quote:
But as more than one expert pointed out, if lightning alone caused planes to crash, then few people would be so foolhardy as to risk flying.

"For a plane to get hit by lightning is totally routine," said Pierre Sparaco, a member of the French Air and Space Academy.

"That is not enough to explain it. There must be a missing link. It is clearly something and something.

Out with the tin foil hats my friends?

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: The missing airliner...

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Seems like it lost contact for some reason, and then didn't make it where it was due.

As for lightening, it's quite common, and creates an effect called St Elmo's Fire (IIRC). A plane acts as a massive Faraday cage, so everything inside is safe.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 am 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
the aliens are cometh! SUMMON WILL SMITH

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Skillers wrote:
Seems like it lost contact for some reason, and then didn't make it where it was due.

Not just lost contact and did not make it, it has completely vanished.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8077304.stm

It's been missing for around two days.

The most likely thing is something broke mid-flight.

Alternatively, the more outlandish theory of abduction...well, you never know. :P

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Brazil - France is mostly ocean, quite easy to lose something there.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Prob crash landed somewhere lol.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Ludicrous Poster
Ludicrous Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: vantomboy
Were thy flying through the Bermuda Triangle? :o

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:25 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

statistically speaking very few things get lost in the triangle ;)

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:30 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
It could have been some sort of engineering fault. Maybe a lightning bolt breached in to the computer systems for example. I'm sure that a search party will be able to find something in that massive void of ocean. You would expect that if they crash landed in the ocean, assuming they could control the aelerons/rudders or whatever, then they would have escaped on to the emergency lifeboats. I've heard that the middle of the ocean is a pretty calm place. Either that or the biggest waves ever. Can't remember.

Side note: Recently saw a video of a guy getting a shock from an overhead electric cable. It was not pretty.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: mikefong
I was shocked when i heard this. Thing which shocked me the most is that one of the news readers just said. 5 British people died. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS?!?! :@

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:12 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8079122.stm

It's not looking promising...but debris? Sounds like it may have exploded if those are verified to have come from the plane. :/

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

Steam Login Name: kyhas
5 british? their not english 3 welsh and 1 irish not sure on other. but yeah it is a little biased......

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:14 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Apparantly BNP execs were on board.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:51 pm 

Samosa!
Samosa!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Skillers wrote:
Apparantly BNP execs were on board.

BALTANT TERRORISM, GET RID OF THE D****ES , BACK TO WHERE THEY COME FROM THEM BASARDS THEY STEELIN US JOBS !

is what will be shouted by the BNP supporters of Derbyshire.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: mikefong
*spits*

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Ludicrous Poster
Ludicrous Poster

Steam Login Name: vantomboy
scares me now. i fly in summer

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Samosa!
Samosa!

Families of passengers have been told to give up hope of survivors

schlurbi, planes are safer than cars ;D

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Multi Poster
Multi Poster

But when you crash in cars, if you do it right and have your seatbelt off you can protend your superman for a short span of time :D

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, planes are actually the safest form of transport. The reason we get told about them crashing is because it's big and rare.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm 

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Steam Login Name: Edwardsells
this is true, but i think planesa re safer then cars by some huge ammount? dunno what it is.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

The amount is hard to define, but the number of trips per crash is much much higher.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:31 pm 

Samosa!
Samosa!

I think its somwhere in the region of 9001%

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Multi Poster
Multi Poster

Well on the M6 which I frequently travel on theres maybe atleast 3-4 crashes a week, maybe more.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:39 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I flew above an electrical storm when flying over Pakistan. It was beautiful.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:27 am 
 Profile E-mail  

They have found bodies. Damn. Definitely looks like a no-survivors situation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8087303.stm

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:53 am 
 Profile E-mail