It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: A Transport Tycoon Diary

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
I am starting a new Transport Tycoon game, it's harder than my usual games, which have industries already set up, with an easy super money hauler. I am using Transport Tycoon Deluxe with the latest patch (2.0.1 alpha 62).

The Map

The map is relatively flat, with a few small hills and lakes, with a moderate amount of trees. The thing that makes the map hard is it's lack of business. There are only small towns, with populations ranging from 10 to 157. There are no industries (these will come in time [they are automatically built by the computer]). This makes business very hard and unprofitable at the begininning.

Inauguration

I start in the year 1950. I find 2 relatively close towns, with populations of about 60 and 120 each. I built a road between te two towns and one bus is currently sufficiant to keep the service excellent.

Here is a picture;
Not available
This is taken very soon after construction, and it has just got established, so has only just started making a profit.

More coming later...

Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:41 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

More roads

The bus was perfectly capable of handling all the current stations, so I decided to extend the route Southwards to one of the major cities on the map;
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/extraroad.gif[/image]
The bus goes betwwen the two major cities (Cardton and Tedingbury - 150pop), stopping at Plenfingwell City (75). Stopping at Plenfingwell means it makes a much greater profit (quicker trip). It is now well established and making a moderate profit, after only 6 months.

These 3 cities will now grow, and may even neccesitate a small train service or second bus soon.

My loan is $40,000, I repayed the origional $160,000 extra to save in interest.

OK, I know this is a bit detailed, but it shows how a business can develop.

More coming later...

Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:21 pm 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Just a quick not - I changed my name from TerrorCorp to YottaCorp, to find the saves easier (I have other saves by the name of TerrorCorp).

A Loop

My bus was coping well, so I decided to extend the route to a nearby town. The town was called Frundhattan Ridge and had a population of 33. OK, so this isn't much, so it isn't going to be a money-spinner straight away, but my intention was to make it bigger for the future. I used a new type of bus stop from the TTDPatch - a pass through busstop. This is cheaper and replaces 1 section of road. It could easily cause problems with congestion, as busses using the same road cannot pass by a parked bus, though that shouldn't be an immediate problem. The bus goes anticlockwise.
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/Loop.gif[/image]

Hello, friend...

A couple of months late, I got my first opponent, though the limited map resourses mean they didn't start construction, so just loose money on loans, which is fine by me.
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/1stoppo.gif[/image]

You wait aaaaggeeeees for 1 bus...

My bus made $1,600 (approx) in it's first year, only half that needed to cover the cost of bus stations. I also found it's profit to be dwindling due to lack of passengers. On further investigation I found that all but Frundhattan Ridge (which was still new) busstops had a rating of around 35%, meaning very few passengers. I decided the best way to fix this was with another bus. The screen is from a couple of months later, when I also got another dormant company;
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/2ndopandvehicles.gif[/image]

Looking better!

The second bus worked, and brought all the stations to 50%, which meant a much better supply of passengers. At the end of the year, the two busses had made $2,000 together, which wasn't enough to cover the building maintenence, but the service hadn't settled yet. My lown had increased by $40,000 to improve and expand my bus service, though it is still small. I also received another new rival;
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/1952end.gif[/image]

I made a note to record the progress of the towns, so here it is;

Plenfingwell City - 111 (from 75), up about 35 this year, some decent growth.
Tedingbury - 175 (from 145), moderate growth, though it had dropped to 80 during the year.
Frundhattan Ridge - 91 (from 33), amazing growth from just a year of service, very pleasing!
Cardtown - 130 (from 145), a small drop, though it had been steady at about 145 all year. This is nothing that seriously concerns me much (it's stimulus for growth - Frundhattan Ridge - is only just starting).

For those of you wondering why I don't just build a super train service - I can't afford it, my max loan is $200,000.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:29 am 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

An uneventful year

Not much happened in the year of 1952, I just sat watching, enjoying the music. The busses made enough to just about cover the bus service costs, and a new company was launched, but nothing else;
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/1952enda.gif[/image]
I eventually made a loss in the year, due to loan repayments, though it was looking much more promising at the start. All the towns were making good progress and the busses were posting healthy profits, I even made it in to the black! Alas, it wasn't meant to be, the towns shrunk for no apparant reason and my income fell, leaving the busses with just enough money to cover themselves and the buildings, but not my loan and "other".

Anyway, town progress report;

Plenfingwell City - 81 (from 111), down, big dissapointment, really, as it did get to 130 during the year.
Tedingbury - 74 (from 175), Huge loss, really not what I needed, hopefully it will pick up.
Frundhattan Ridge - 111 (from 91), Small growth, as with all the other towns, it had been much higher during the year, at 145.
Cardtown - 158 (from 130), another small growth, though it had been up to 170.

Hopefully next year will be much better on the towns (and my bank balance).

I may need to take out another $20,000 next year, to stop bankrupsy, lets hope I post a black...

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:05 am 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Bankrupsy!?!?

About halfway through the year, I received this message;
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/bankrupsy.gif[/image]
Didn't really matter, thoug, just took out more loan (unfortunately this means more interset).

Apart from that, the year was pretty uneventful, posted another loss;
[image]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Computersandconsoles/TTDLX/1993end.gif[/image]

It is looking up though;

Plenfingwell City - 56 (from 81) - another loss, this is worrying me, but I don't know what to do about it! It just isn't picking up, and has nearly no passengers!
Tedingbury - 171 (from 74), Great improvement, and this time it stayed there!
Frundhattan Ridge - 194 (from 111), Amazing Growth, remember it was only 33 2.5 years ago! It did post 200 during the year, and is showing great construction promise.
Cardtown - 216 (from 158), A decent growth, and it was the first to pass the 200 mark!

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:33 am 

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

OK, I got slightly bored of this particular game. I'm going to play a much more complecated one now.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:15 pm 

Post Post subject:

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
At least I appreciated this game diary while it lasted.
So many great things happen in Battlefield 2, I should start something here.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, it was too slow, might try again with OpenTTD, as that has a fastforward option. I may also make the landscape more challenging.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:33 pm