It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Cricket

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Anyone been paying attention to the cricket lately? England have been on top form (in tests atleast), winning the Ashes in Aus for the first time in a very long time (we've won them at home for the past couple, but not the Aus ones) and now completely destroying India, who are supposedly the best side in the world. If we win the current test (which is looking likely, it's the 3rd day and we're 503-3 after bowling India all out for 224, only issue is the rain), we get ranked as the best test team in the world for the first time since the rankings were introduced.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:12 pm 

Post Post subject: Re: Cricket

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: rct2100
We actually go top?! WHAT :| Didnt we end up at like 710-7 declared or something? I think Cook got to like 294 or something :P

And England were only ever reasonable at Cricket, but recently under Strauss we've really picked up the game... We have some excellent players now :)

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yup, if we win this series by 2 or more tests (and this is the 3rd test of 4, so winning would guarantee that) we become the highest ranked team in the world.

And yep, we got 710-7d, declared when Cook got out at 294 (I think they were just letting him get any records he could, shame he got out, would have been awesome to see the 300, or even 333 [highest English player's score, actually possessed by Cook's batting coach] or even 400 [highest ever score] and to see some innings records, but ah well).

Currently India are at 56-4, after batting for half of yesterday evening and the last hour. Got today and tomorrow to get them all out. Fun fact: We got a King Pair (golden duck in each innings) on their opener, Sehwag, who had been injured up to now but brought back for this test.

Our players are excellent, in fact, of the 17 nominees for ICC player of the year, 8 are English. An excellent bowling attack, with Broad and Bresnan on top form, Anderson doing very well, Tremlett (injured, replaced by Bresnan atm) also doing well and Swann also good, but not getting suitable pitches atm. We have very capable batters all the way down to 9th, aswell. I've seen a lot of praise for the Andys (Strauss and Flower, the coach) for doing a lot of good with this team, and it's definitely showing. It's a shame that the other teams don't appear to be on form, though (Aus have a team of mostly new players now and I don't know what's happening to India), but England's complete dominance definitely says something.

EDIT: From the BBC text feed this morning:
Sometimes the truth lies hidden in tiny statistical corners. Peer into this: England's batsman have made six Test double-hundreds in the last 15 months - the same number as they achieved in the previous 15 years.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

And there we go, India all out for 244, England win by an innings and 242 runs in the middle of the 4th day, including some rain/light delays on previous days. They put on a good run for the 8th wicket, scoring at a ridiculous rate (Kumar got 40 of 18 balls, including a couple of sixes), I get they feeling they were trying to go out with style, considering even a draw was well out of reach for them.

Earlier on, Tendulkar was putting on a good run until going out to a rather bizzare run out, you can see it in the super quick morning highlights here

England are the world no 1 test cricket team!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:15 pm