It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Amazon buy LOVEFiLM... Official UK Netflix soon?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: simonpcook
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/amaz ... ice-lovef/

Could this be the leadup to what we (mainly me and Skillers) have been wanting and wish for this year? Netflix streaming at Netflix prices in UK? :P

Edit: Well Amazon VOD, but similar thing :p

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Amazon buy LOVEFiLM... Official UK Netflix soon?

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
I really hope this does something good. though to be good it really needs to get both the price AND range right. The range might be difficult, seeing how bitchy the distributors are getting with Netflix, but the weight of Amazon might be useful here.

Also, I'm not sure it will be good to have 2 competing companies because they will almost certainly attempt to pull exclusive deals, which will end up just screwing us over in the end.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Oh Skillers....
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/269332 ... and-launch

or to save a pound
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/269357 ... tflix-4-99

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
Legitimate Necro!

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Sweet, I knew Netflix was due earlier this year, didn't expect it so soon ><

I'll have to check the selections to see if it's actually worth it ^^

EDIT: Hmm, some quick searching and it would seem that the selection is significantly more limited that I remember the US version being, to the point where I can't seem to find anything that I actually want to watch in the selection.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm 

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Thats probably day one licencing and selection, I imagine the selection will get larger over time. Might be worth seeing if theres a website like there is for Netflix US that lists whats new.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:57 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Yeah, I will definitely keep an eye on them, but atm it doesn't seem worth it.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:36 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I'd consider Netflix if I didn't have a pathetic monthly download allowance. I'm going to go over my limit this month and I really thought I had been careful. However it's not just me using my Internet connection.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Malevolent Artificial Intelligence

Grab NetMeter and find out the truth!

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item26

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Lord Metritutus wrote:

This tool does not provide a complete picture. I have something better, talk to me later Aaron if I haven't open sourced it by then :P

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Does it involve scanning the router homepage and doing some regexes? hehehe.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I got Netflix over the weekend and am impressed so far, especially with the quality (even on non HD titles). The selection is still a bit weak, but there's a couple of TV shows on there that I'm interested in.

I do, however, have a few gripes:
Very difficult to break the Facebook connection (I went on my FB and it had Netflix stuff on there even after I removed the app).
No bookmarking system present, as far as I can tell. I've heard the US version has this though, so I'm not sure why we don't have it. Would be really nice to have a list of shows and stuff I want to watch.
The lists of stuff by genre aren't complete, which may make it hard to discover stuff.

As a point of interest, I've heard that a UK Netflix account can access the US content by simply making the website think you're in the US. On the PS3 and 360 this is apparently as easy as changing the DNS settings, though harder on PC.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 pm